1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

16 Football rules that drive us mad and must be changed.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

tumblr_nna5xeJO681t9sksvo1_400.gif

BobbyD and Archers Road like this.
  2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe I could have posted a bit more tactfully, but honestly, comments such as "ref make the rules up as they go along" is rubbish. There's no other way of putting it.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Don't see too many problems, tbh.

After watching a succession of league 1 refs fatter and slower than me, huffing along 3 mins behind the play, I swore if we ever got back to the PL, I'd never complain about the refs.

Well obviously I am still disgusted at every decision that doesn't go our way, but that's just part of the pantomime.

4. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

All is good my friend, had a **** day, we move on.

5. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Fergie time existed (and probably still does): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20464371

And I've done peer-reviewed proven unconscious referee bias before with Tom but he's not prepared to countenance the idea (even though, being unconscious biases, refs are not to blame) so I don't bother any more.

Vin

It's Only A Game and Fly like this.
  6. Onionman

But back on topic, it's the timewasting one mentioned above that gets me. No point giving a keeper a yellow card two minutes into injury time. First time (even if it's in the third minute), warning. Second time yellow card, third time, warning, fourth time, red card.

That'd put the wind up Pulis, always finishing every game with eight men on the pitch.

Vin

Osvaldorama likes this.
  7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Frase used to be genius at timewasting.

Shame we virtually never have a lead to defend going into the last 10 mins anymore.

8. Onionman

I've said on here several times that I hate timewasting by either side. Detest it.

Vin

AshbySaint and HarryTipper like this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah that royally pisses me off mate. What the **** does booking the keeper in the last few minutes achieve <doh>

Onionman likes this.
  10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

The one that most winds me up wasn’t even included in the list - the interpretation of the offside rule.
    Ok a player may be offside but not running towards the ball, but should an onside teammate get to the ball, the offside player is already goal side of the defenders, when a pass comes in.
    Plus we still get players running across the keeper, in offside positions, yet goals still stand.
    Either get rid of it altogether, or revert back to how it used to be. And I do realise that in the old system Boufal’s goal against WBA would probably have been ruled out owing to Austin, I believe, being offside.

Libby likes this.

11. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

Time wasting the worst for me. The refs should be all over it but rarely do a thing other then a verbal warning which is ignored. Same when we do it. We all pay a small fortune to go and time wasting is not on yet it's largely ignored by the authorities.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Agreed.

In my book if you're anywhere near the box you're interfering with play in my book.

13. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Worst one for me is the phantom yellow card in the first minute of a game. Some players gets crunched but because it's the first contact of the game ,it's just a warning. A player then say scores a goal in the 34th mum gets a yellow for celebrating with the fans, and then in the last minute does that Same very tackle as the guy in the first minute and gets booked for it because it's in the 91st mind not the first. I will never understand that view refs have.

14. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Football, bloody hate it.

AshbySaint and garysfc like this.
  15. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

<laugh> Perfect. That's what we need - bit of perspective!

Archers Road likes this.
  16. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Indeed. These are not rules of the game or laws, but just accepted practices. I think Roy Keane, Ben Thatcher and others would have been sent off twice as much in their careers had referees not 'allowed one' tackle, early on, to set the level for the match. I think the accepted practice was for a defender to crunch an attacker to let him know he was there and looking out for him. Such macho bulls**t.

HarryTipper likes this.
  17. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Same could be said for running the ball into the corner. Probably as little as 15 years ago that was still frowned upon as unsporting. Yet we've all become condonents of the tactic, and indeed some called Antonio an idiot for not doing so the other week. Referees, to their credit, have never changed on it, as far as I can remember. They allow it, whether it is unsporting or not.

FWIW, while I don't condone Fraser's monumental skill at wasting time without significant punishment, I can't help but admire him for it. He always finds a reason to fill the next few seconds with the ball when it suits him.

18. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

How about the rule which says you can stand partially on the pitch to take a throw in?

Onionman likes this.
  19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Nah, you've made that one up.....

*popcorn*

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

The absolute worst rule in football is when United kick that ball into one of those net things and the referee signals a goal. **** rule.