1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

1 year in charge for GC

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Not being harsh at all Captain, I feel very much the same way although granted without yet knowing the full facts behind this somewhat baffling decision. I mean, wasn't he at Southend and Muff, both further away from Sheffield that Bristol and why didn't his family move with him ? he has been away from them for long enough !

There was no way that he could of stayed at the club any longer after saying what he did after the Ipswich game so I say good Bye GC and I hope it stays sunny for you .

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yes I agree, he has had over a decade down South. No reason why he cant wait 5 more months. Obviously too late now after his rant on Saturday. And yes you are right, we don't know the full facts. But based on what we do know, laters alligators! But there could be something serious at home. A relative maybe who could be struggling with an illness and he wants to be back home. That would be fair enough. But it is not that obviously. Otherwise he would have approached Rovers and asked to go and I am sure Rovers wouldn't have refused Mansfield twice to speak to GC. Based on how it has all happened so quick and what he said and how he said it, to me its just a lack of ambition and throwing a paddy that he could be losing JCH and have no funds. Yes JCH has been so important to us but where was he on Saturday when we beat Ipswich? GC needs to toughen up if he quits that easily during the season. His decision basically means he has left a managers job at a decent employer to become team leader for McDonalds.

GreatWesternGas and Quilllogic like this.
  3. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Coughlan has left the building.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  4. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Must be hard to keep getting your prized assets poached by bigger clubs

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Happens at every club, well 99.9% of clubs. Even at your club <ok>

6. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Yep, as we saw with Fulham's recent aquisitions...

7. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Exactly you cant knock anybody wanting to join Premier League Fulham or likewise your manager wanting to go to bigger club

8. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Cest La' Vie, players, managers AND owners all come and go at football clubs, we're here for life !

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Does that mean Rovers are bigger than City then? Its about the same difference City to Rovers and Rovers to Mansfield.

:)

10. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

According to the news tonight it looks like JCH is going to be sold, so it's not rocket science to see why GC is wanting to leave, also heard that Joe Dunne will go with him

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I got to disagree old timer. Selling your better players are part of the game in the lower leagues, where he has played all his career. So he knows all lower league clubs are selling clubs. Throwing his toys out his pram because we may be selling JCH and therefore end up forcing a move to 18th place in L2, just doesn't make sense to me. If this is how he will react due to selling his top player, he will be quitting an awful lot until he decides to retire.

12. old timer

I agree CJS but he is saying the club have no ambition selling your top striker rather confirms that comment

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

So every lower league club have no ambition then as we all sell our best players to survive. He's dropped down to a division which will be even harder to keep your best players. He will find that out and probably quit again ;)

14. The Great Gashead

The Great Gashead Active Member

Think we have genuinely dodged a bullet with GC. If and it would have been a big if GC had got us up I reckon he would have held the club to ransom for a much bigger contract. The likelihood is JCH will go for decent money, fail, then join back up with GC. His (JCH) past career has been nomadic at best and has never up rooting any trees on the way. Remember JCH probably feels let down and abandoned as GC promised to help him get to the championship.

15. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

If GC has genuine family issues, then I don't understand why he slagged off the club who gave him his big break. I'm sure he would have done better than Mansfield if he had seen the job through at Rovers. Quite a few managers with a decent track record have tried and failed at Mansfield and unless GC does something miraculous there he's going to look like someone who's not worth the risk and he'll struggle to get another post.

JCH has found a club where he can fulfil his potential, so again I don't understand why he would want to take the plunge somewhere else when that clearly hasn't worked out for him before.

16. old timer

Jo Dunne has been given permission to talk to Mansfield, that leaves us very short of coaching staff

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

If it don't work out for him at Mansfield then I think he will drop down to be a coach again unless he drops to a non league club to start again.

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

GC moved 'apparently' for family reasons.. which deep down we know is crap. But if there is any truth to it, why would Dunne drop down a level at a struggling L2 side instead of seeing what happens with us first, just so he can be close to GC. They were on top something good with us but now they both may have thrown it away and will regret this. Won't it be great if we do go up. Could really take the piss out of GC.

old timer likes this.
  19. old timer

GC and Jo Dunne off to a losing start 1 - 0 thats three defeats and three draws in their last 6. 5 points off the bottom with only one relegated. games in hand over Morecombe, Stevenage and Carlisle.
    Their chair person is worth about 8 million and her other half is a multi millionaire. a few people suggested one of his first signings could be Tom Nicholls if that happens and JCH leaves as well we could be struggling for goals after Christmas

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<laugh> I read that joke in a xmas cracker today ;)

old timer likes this.