1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

£300 million Bid lodged (sky sports claim)

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Nolberto's Salsa Inferno, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

NUFC defends well and creates chances (201). Just put the ball in the back of the net and you'll be fine. Last year you had a 23 goal scorer, this year you have a 4 goal scorer.

2. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Lifted from article on Mandy interview with Times

• £300m, first bid, November 2: £200m on completion. £50m July 1 2018, £50m July 1 2019 — neither paid in the event of relegation. Benítez to stay as manager. Penalty clauses in the event of HMRC fine.
    • £350m, second bid, November 10: £150m on completion. £50m January 1 2020 £50m January 1 2021 £50m January 1 2022 £50m in the event of qualifying for the Champions League. Benítez to stay as manager. Penalty clauses in the event of relegation and HMRC fine.
    • £250m, third bid, November 17: £250m payable in full. Benítez to stay as manager. No clauses”
    Hardly a tyre kicker. Who, given the stage in the season and our position in the league wouldn’t have clauses covering relegation. Just look at the impact on Villa’s price.

Also who wouldn’t have clauses in covering the HMRC investigation?

Yes Ashley can seek whatever price he wants but a sensible buyer doesn’t just pay that price or they may live to regret it, ask Ashley. Totally fail to follow the if she really wants the Club then just stump up the extra £50M arguement. Firstly, it’s £50M and, secondly, what if we get relegated she’s just paid £350M for a Club worth £100M.
    Cue letter to fellow investors
    “Dear Mr Reubens
    Remember that £100M you invested in NUFC, well I’m writing to inform you of some bad news...”

Biggest issue is Ashley wants his money and a return on it even though he overpaid for the Club in the first instance due to his failure to do due diligence.

No Chance’s example above is accurate. Would you pay £350,000 for a house worth £250,000 as it’s waiting to see if a compulsory purchase order is going to be made on it. Or would you offer less and take the risk. Or would you offer the price but want some of the price back if a cpo is made.

It’s not rocket science.

3. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

You can see why Ashley rejected bid number one, with relegation the price would be £200million plus penalty clauses regarding a HMRC fine. Add in any money spent in the January window and she is way off his value.

The second bid looks a lot tastier, however the extra £50million is a clause payable on qualifying for the CL.

The third is well short of Ashley's value.

Well, clearly, Ashley and Staveley didn't reach a compromise agreement.

4. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

Ashley didn't have clauses installed when he bought Newcastle off the Halls and Shepherd
    and got his fingers burnt - so he says - thick ****
    why would you not think someone more professional than him would not put clauses in

anyone in business would be daft not to have clauses in when buying a business
    who knows what skeletons are in the cupboard (HMRC)

5. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

I think we're about to see just how "devastated" PCP are and just how much they reeeeeeeeeeeally still want to buy NUFC. I wonder as the season drags on how long offer number 3 will stay on the table? As soon as we look like we're likely to go down it'll be whipped off the table quicker than Ashley's shirt at a pissed up conga contest. Ashley will not sell if we're in the fizzypop league that's for sure, he stands to lose too much on his investment. If he can call their bluff enough to get them to stump up £50m extra and offer £300m whilst giving Rafa £20m for a striker perhaps then i think he would be stupid not to take it. Lets face it, if we went out and spent £15m-£20m on 1 good striker that could just well be enough to keep us up, as well as 1 or 2 loan players perhaps. I'd take that gamble if I were him but the ball is in AS's corner now. although they may well be waiting to see if the fat ****er sanctions some deals first. I feel heartfully sorry for Rafa like....what a ****ing shower of **** to have to work under !

anyobrien likes this.
  6. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

You're correct. Sadly though, saying that Mike hates us is giving too much credit to his feelings towards the club. We'd be better off if he did hate us. We're a line on his balance sheet and nothing more. He wishes he hadn't bought us, but he doesn't hate us enough to just throw in the towel and walk away.

Mike Ashley is a gambler. His stint of owning us is nothing more to him than a bad session at a blackjack table. He wishes he hadn't sat down at the table in the first place, but he isn't going to get up and walk away until he has won his money back. Like any gambler, he is taking a risk. He could lose far more money rather than winning some back. However, he is happier to take that risk than just walk away with losses. In the meantime, we get tossed about like the dice and he doesn't give a ****.

daztoc and anyobrien like this.
  7. Dorty Dogbreath

<laugh>

8. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Playing out now for what it is - basically, Mike's said "give me £300m and we're done".

anyobrien and Marra SAFC 77 like this.
  9. Dorty Dogbreath

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest".
    Adam Smith

This is how Ashley thinks, he will always safeguard his own business.

10. Lord Jonjomort

Absolutely love that quote, Sledge.

As Crone says, we'll see how devastated they are. £300m or thereabouts with the pending TV deal and advertising opportunities looks like a good deal, or at least as good a deal as anyone's going to get. With the new money - and more from Amazon, Youtube, Facebook, etc., on the horizon, now's the time.

magpie290761 and Marra SAFC 77 like this.

11. Beardsley's Stylist

Beardsley's Stylist Well-Known Member

Whether the takeover happens or not, the fact is it won't happen before the transfer window closes. This means Mike is going to have to sanction some transfers to protect his investment.

anyobrien and magpie290761 like this.
  12. Lord Jonjomort

The claim is he already has. However, what's more baffling is why he put the kibosh on transfers in the first place. Guy's literally a weapons grade moron.

anyobrien likes this.
  13. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Please don’t post stuff like that............ feeling sick enough as it is.

J. J. McClure and Marra SAFC 77 like this.
  14. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more GLITF, I remember how I felt the first time I saw a big lady with a " panty tash " as a young lad on holiday.

15. Geordie lass in the Fen

If we are relegated again the value of the club will plummet to circa £100 million, so the first bid is not ridiculous.
    If the HMRC thing has not gone away and the club was found to have been up to no good, and this is Ashley don’t forget a hefty fine would be payable.
    The third offer of £250 million and no clauses seems to me pretty damn good.
    Staveley is not tyre kicking, Ashley is a vindictive spoilt arrogant conman, l don’t believe a wrord the man says.
    Just look at the dross he surrounds himself with, the no hopers he gave executive positions in the club too. The man is laughable and has cast a nasty shadow over NUFC for more than a decade.
    Instead of questioning Staveley we should be praying she has genuinely not given up on this deal, although l fear Ashley is such a vindictive twat he will have.
    There are no other buyers, we can only wait and hope.

16. Geordie lass in the Fen

I know what you mean Jimmy
    Recently returned from Dubai and was walking along the beach behind this woman.
    She was wearing one of those thong things, debatable whether it was appropriate attire but l digress.
    The thing was her bum was really really spotty, and before you ask no l don’t make a habit of looking at women’s bums.
    But for heavens sake, a thong, pale white wobbly bum cheeks and masses of angry red spots, does not make for a good look. pukey!

17. Dorty Dogbreath

Given all the clauses, possible HMRC fines, ifs and buts and the person she is negotiating with...what on earth makes Amanda Stevely interested in Newcastle United? If she does have the financial clout, she could go and buy another club without all of this hassle.

What they could have done...and I have to use the word compromise...is strike a half way deal on the third clause - £275 - they both wouldn't be too far off.

But who knows? Ashley wants £300million, Staveley is baulking at that figure with the possible relegation and HMRC problems ahead.

18. jimileysbaldhead

If you'd had a pen handy you could have joined the dots and made a holiday picture to remind yourself of the lovely day you'd enjoyed on the beach...<ok>

19. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Who does this apply to in the Newcastle scenario though? We certainly did not sell our whole squad. Indeed the bulk of the money came from 6 players. Out of a squad 25 we probably shifted 12 out and loaned a few more because the manager didn't want them (that isn't a necessity or something which prevents you getting promoted). If you look at what we were left with before we spent 57m unwisely, we were far from weak as far as the championship went. It was only really Janmaat, Townsend, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Cisse, Cabella we had to sell. Although the latter and Thauvin were already not part of the squad. We also shifted a number who didn't play much, were nearing a career end in Coloccini, Taylor, Tiote, Marveaux, Obertan.

Then we had the guys Benitez just plain didn't want in De Jong, Krul, Ameobi, Armstrong, Riviere, Mbabu, Sterry, Saivet. This is where Benitez probably made his financial error to be honest. If he'd been happy to accept some of these players as members of his squad, done a good managerial job, he would have still got out the division and saved some money to spend more on better players for the PL. Certainly some of them could have done a job. Krul could have but I think there were issues with him. De Jong I think injury wise you have to accept he was never going to cut it. Sterry it is difficult to comment having only seen fleeting appearances. Aarons and Haidara I'm leaving out for injury purposes.

So if we add a few back in and look at what the squad would be:

Elliott, Darlow, Woodman, Lascelles, Mbemba, Dummett, Mbabu, Anita, Saivet, Colback, Shelvey, Gouffran, Ameobi, Perez, Mitrovic, Armstrong, Riviere

So an 18 man squad that I think would be up there with good management. Certainly 9 players there that would have got into just about every other championship squad. Riviere and Saivet may have wanted out but he was under no obligation. Say you include Atsu loan, Gamez for free, Ritchie 12m, Gayle 10m, Clark 5m, Hayden 5m to take the above squad to 24. I'd be very disappointed if a middling to good manager couldn't get that squad up.

Benitez saves 26m not buying Diame, Sels, Yedlin, Murphy, Hanley and Lazaar. So his 44.4m for the PL becomes 70.4m. Some of that 70.4m is eaten however by wages you'd have to spend buying the better players.

Is that a better manipulation of money? Probably. Should he have sold Mitrovic in pre season for 10m-12m if he wasn't going to use him? Probably. Was that possible? Probably. In isolation these decisions are not massive but over the course of two seasons it becomes apparent in my opinion we haven't used the funds available to us wisely. I think Benitez didn't back his own management skills enough and decided to spend the lot. What we don't know if what he was told. Was he told you can have that, anything that is left over goes towards next season. I would think that would be most likely. I doubt very much he was told "spend all 57m and we will find even you another 70m next year".

Whether you want to say we've spent 104m, or invested 12m, the bottom line is the money we have spent has not been invested wisely. As I have already said, 8 clubs had a lower net spend than Newcastle alone in the summer. Almost half the division. So short term we match up ok. Spurs and others do better over a 5 year period. I can't blame Benitez for all 5 years, he wasn't even here. However he hasn't changed the trend of the previous 3 years in terms of spending money well. Long term we match up too.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/pre...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

I am fully aware we are roughly the same as the other clubs in and around our situation. Only 8 clubs have purchased gross more than us over 5 years - this is important when batting back the argument that we shop at the low end of the market. 6 clubs have a lower net spend. This is as of last summer. I'm not suggesting we are spending like the top 8, I just think we're spending much like those around us. I think we've had a series of managers who are choosing to spread their money thinly on quantity. They are paying too much for average players. Whereas other clubs are finding bargains for the squad fillers and buying quality with the real money. Or they are just managing the resources (players) better than we are. If Benitez keeps us up his numbers against quality regime would have worked. I just felt more secure with Pardew approach of quality over quantity. Benitez is a better coach so you would have to think he'd find it even easier.

If people want to throw at Ashley that he doesn't employ the right people or enough people, I think the argument stacks up without doubt. We don't have enough people meaning the business runs poorly because we miss out on important things probably because people are distracted doing tasks someone else should be employed to do. The important things we probably miss out on is scouring enough for young talent, talent for the first team squad, employing the right managers. We'd never do what Southampton did and go to Spain find a great coach like Pochettino doing a job at Espanyol. A guy who will come in and coach the players you have and buy into better players. We clearly have a problem with environment in the youth teams. Guys like Gibson don't leave unless something is wrong. All these things are Ashley's fault.

I just think the transfer fund argument is not the problem people make it out to be. Net spend, gross spend, relegations, looking at shorter or longer periods, none of it manages to detract from the fact we sit happily amongst a few others in the league in that regard. Some may be better run or better managed though, I do accept that. Perhaps fans look at the top 8 and want to spend like? We are not generating top 8 money.

20. jimileysbaldhead

Say that again.