1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic £1.6m Bowling Alley opening in Prinny Quay...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Quill

Quill Bastard

I am amazed that I never noticed that before, especially considering i've seen Blade Runner and Rocky IV enough times.

2. captain caveman

captain caveman Well-Known Member

I'm sure it wouldn't take much imagination to turn Prinny Quay into an Xscape type venue. Catering for families during the day and adults in the evenings.

3. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Princess Quay was unfortunate in that Republic, Virgin Media, Half Price Jewellers and JJB all went under and that closed several of its stores. Also Burger King was having a bit of a struggle in the city when all of the stores at one point were closed and that was the nail in the coffin for its old food court.

I'm surprised the likes of Bank, JD, River Island, Top Shop are all still in there with it being half empty.

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Bank have gone bust.

Cortez91 likes this.
  5. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

It was still open last I was in there. Is it selling off final stock or something?

6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It is, administrators were appointed early last week.

7. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

I like Princess Quay, of course it was better when it was full. Don't know how used is the pictures on the top floor but think it was better before, like an indoor market.
    As for St Stevens hate the place, even in the summer it's like a wind tunnel and freezing cold. It's a street with a roof, would have been better to put a roof on Whitefrigate or Jameson St.

8. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Another one to leave there then.

I'm surprised Allam has left out store in there if the rent is supposed to be as high as people suggest. I know the guy who used to have G24 next to primark/supercuts (opposite the sweet corn stand) and he moved it across to what is now Bronx opposite House of Fraser because of how much cheaper it is.

9. x

x Well-Known Member

princes quay went downhill when the interesting stuff on the top floor was binned for yet another cinema. the closure of virgin/zavi/whatever in the far corner didn't help and i soon fouind it irrelevant. the city needs SMALL traders with interesting wares but insists on charging the kind of stupid rates that means nobody can afford it on a new start business. that's years of council stupidity for you. years of blinkered policies that blatantly send customers elsewhere. like allam's at the kc.

as for the idea of a bowling alley, i preferred the one on sutton fields. at least it had free parking and no drunks. the one on st andrew's quay was awful and so was its clientelle.

10. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

They should move the shops on the bottom floor upstairs and let the entire bottom floor be bowling, laser quest and restaurants/bars.

11. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

The worst decision ever was St Stephen's it's stretched the city across a vast area - left the old town in a poor state and for what? St Stephen's itself is absolutely ****ing horrible. A child could have done a better design job on that place - truly a huge eyesore and most definitely the elephant in the room. It leaks, it hasn't got many decent shops.

Hull Truck moved out of it's old premises and now reside in somewhere they clearly can't afford - grants are effectively keeping them afloat.

SuperDelroy likes this.
  12. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

And Premier League Hull City have a shop in there, tucked away in a corner of one of the upper floors. We must be mad.

13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

St Stephens is likely to lose another shop shortly, USC are also in administration.

14. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Its not the first time they've been in administration strangely enough. No sooner had it opened in there had it gone into administration.

15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Looking at the picture, the fact the discussin's about shops and clothes rather than milfs says a lot about how football demographics have changed.

16. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

ONE of the city's busiest shopping centres

and..........

The struggling centre has seen a steady decline in its footfall in recent years as shoppers turn to the internet and out-of-town retail parks.

Contradiction?

17. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

That's actually a really good idea, the gate in Newcastle is always packed day and night. The options for nightlife/leisure facilities in the city centre is pretty poor these days, something like that might be just what the city needs.

Although I think it might be a bit optimistic expecting a John Lewis, they are quite particular about locations and I don't think they'd be interested in PQ.

18. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

How can you blame the council ?? Prinny Quay is privately owned, the council has no control of the retailers inside or the rents charged

In addition the council does not set business rates, that is done independent of the council as is the level of rate charged. The council also does not receive the business rates it collects, the total amount is sent to central government & only a proportion is returned as part of the annual support grant

19. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Half is kept by the council, the other half is sent to central government to be distributed under the annual support grant.

20. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

But the level of charge & rateable values are not set by the council