1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zakuani

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Aug 8, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

Nothing to do with the outcome against Reading tonight but I have a question....

Why was Zak not even on the bench?

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - ( serious answer )
    I read that AP said that Zakuani would be 'protected' and used 'sparingly'. Something to do with his age ! -- so I guess AP wanted to save him for a more important (and winnable ) game on Saturday.
    I have mixed feeling about this policy - as I am sure that professional footballers should be able to play two games a week without any trouble.

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I thought we held our own well against Reading, until we appeared to tire ? with our whole game plan being about fitness rather than skill this is a worry. The lack of goals upfront is also leaving doubts in my mind as to whether we could struggle for points as the season goes on. Finally, the defence whilst greatly improved still has a weak link, hopefully a new face will arrive before the window closes.
    I'm not trying to be negative with the above comments just sharing early concerns, and remember. whether your glass is half full or half empty, there is room for more beer.

"Zakuani"........just so I'm not off topic.:emoticon-0173-middl

4. brb

brb CR250

Agree.

Clearly as I predicted Zak has got off to a good start and to be honest I'm not too bothered that he didn't play last night, but as you have highlighted to the reasons why, my curiosity prior did lay around the managers thoughts on selection.

Let me explain; here we are one game in and as alwaysright has highlighted we are protecting a player, one i like the look of as previously said, however, how the hell we going to cope when we get into the middle of the season, busy fixture programme, injuries, suspensions. I'm not having a pop at the manager either, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to risk or have Zak get laid up against Reading.

Let's just say i hope this is the only time we are discussing this, this season, and we are not having to discuss it when we need to field our strongest team, because 'One bullet in a game of Russian roulette can be quite dangerous' <<< reserved, copyrighted to brb as could make a good thread title later in the season.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  5. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb
    Russian roulette is what I play with my neighbour - I don't always dodge the bullets !

brb likes this.
  6. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Think really it was to give others chance. Expect he will play every league game if available.

brb likes this.
  7. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Well he's been called up to the Democratic Republic of Congo's International Squad for their World Cup Qualifiers on the 1st and 6th September so will definitely miss the game against Shrewsbury on the 2nd September.

8. brb

brb CR250

I'm slowly losing the will to live, just hope everyone can see where i am coming from with this. Now if we are resting players because we are not interested in progressing in a particular trophy, then I get it, well....just about.

And the suggestions have been as rightly pointed out... 'protected' and used 'sparingly'.

But wait for it..................

Now pegleg tells us he's been called up for International duties...

Where is that single bullet i was talking about!

grumpygit likes this.
  9. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Unfortunately we agreed to his international commitment when signing him, the fact we now have O'Neill and Lacy out isn't going to help but we do still have the weak link, so all is not lost. <doh>

10. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Time for a whip round to get Lennon on board me thinks.

11. brb

brb CR250

I just am psml....I find it highly amusing. So as far has I understand it we make commitments to protect a player and we make agreements to honour his international duties....excuse me while I get up off rolling around on the floor in hysterics, but I assume someone has realised in all this that we are a skint L1 club, that cannot carry....well you know.

12. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Mom today looks quality

13. brb

brb CR250

Just a reminder i did say he would be...I'm normally right...ask pegleg <whistle>

14. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I'm saying nothing <whistle>

brb likes this.