1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yuki Abe Gone

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Greatness_Since_1884, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Lesta Gangsta

Lesta Gangsta Well-Known Member

Doesn't this go back to the whole "he plays International football so must be world class" argument? Let's not go there again!

2. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

He's played for his country in a World Cup ... so what's your definition of world class?

3. Lord_Dyer

Lord_Dyer Active Member

OOOooooooo Now your talking

4. Lord_Dyer

Lord_Dyer Active Member

He has played in the second best league in the world :emoticon-0105-wink:

What more do you need to qualify you as world class <whistle>

5. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

World class is Lionel Messi, Xavi, Steven Gerrard, Cristiano Ronaldo, Sergio Aguero

Someone who was played for his country doesnt make him world class

Darius Vassell went to the 2002 world cup is he world class, Ryan Giggs never played at an international tournment does that mean hes not world class

World class means he is one of the best players in the world

6. Lesta Gangsta

Lesta Gangsta Well-Known Member

Agreed. Although Giggs did play for his country, as did George Best, not their fault they never qualified for a major tournament.

7. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Surely your defimition, or lack of it, must mean that only those that could currently get into the World XI are world class? .. and if so, Gerrard would not be there currently and it is arguable that he would ever have been.

If not, where do you draw the distinction? - other than in your own head.

I'm just making the point that this is an inexact science at best - and so open to individual opinion.

A general defnition which can actually be measured is to have been chosen by your country to represent them against other countries in the world - thereby differentiating you from 'domestic class'.

8. Proud Fox

As an all round footballer i would say Gerrard is arguably the best footballer in the world when he is on top form. He can defend, score goals from anywhere, great passer and crosser of a ball. He pretty much has everything. But because Messi and Ronaldo score tons of goals they are just seen as the best.

I actually believe at this minute Xavi is the best footballer in the world as an all round player. But if your talking about attacking its Messi.

World class means your one of the best players in the world and have proven it over a few years.

9. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Proud Lad

Outside of the red half of Merseyside that comment would probably have stopped people reading further ... I like Gerrard he's a good English pro and one of a fairly good crop .. but your accolade is stereotypical of English expectation of the national team .. overhyped, overrated and underachieving - the only thing that I can agree with you on is your praise of Xavi - he would be in my World XI

10. Proud Fox

Gerrard a few years ago carried Liverpool pretty much single handedly to winning the champions league and top 4 finishes. Even Kenny Dalglish said Gerrard is probaly the best player Liverpool have ever had. England dont have many world class players, but i would say Gerrard is and when he can be bothered Rooney is