1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your first Stoke match

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband, Feb 5, 2011.

1. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Pretty self-explanatory really, when was your first Stoke game and who was it against?

Mine was Saturday 13th April 1996, Aged a mere 7 and I witnessed a 2-1 over Pompey with goals from Razor Wallace and Mike Sheron

2. northernstoke

northernstoke Member

20.03.1971 Stoke v Man Utd
    Aged 6
    It pains me to say this but the great George Best scored two wonder goals. John Ritchie scored for Stoke.
    Just short of 40000 in the ground.
    If I remember rightly it was a friends birthday treat

Just an interesting statistic that year. I did not recall this until I checked back but that year Stoke finished 3rd in the FA Cup after beating Everton 3 2 in a 3rd/4th play off. This bronze medal play off ran between 1970 and 1974.

3. jowlermonkey

jowlermonkey Well-Known Member

I can't remember who we played but I do know I was tiny and Mick Pegic scared the hell out of me!!

4. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Is that a fact? Wow. You learn something new every day

5. northernstoke

northernstoke Member

yep well popular match 5000 crowd
    3/4 Play Off 7 May 1971 Everton N 3–2 5,031 Bernard 27', Ritchie 47' 80'
    -wonder why they dropped it-mind you following season 23000 watched a scintillating3/4 place off between stoke and Birmingham which we lost 4-3 on penalties
    Mind you 71-72 we played 42 league games, 12 league cup ties in winning it, 9 FA Cup matches, 4 Anglo Scottish cup ties and 4 Anglo Italian cup ties total of 71 matches with a squad of 23 players of which only 14 players played more than 20 games. Tough in them days on those pristine football pitches <laugh>

6. 1972_STOKIE

1972_STOKIE Member

Hi northern - was there for the game at Birmingham - thought Harry Burrows could hit a hard penalty until Geoff Hurst hit his - I was behind the goal and I swear most of us rocked backwards as it went back o' the net!!

7. 1972_STOKIE

1972_STOKIE Member

Can't get to the game today - ruddy work, 1st home game I've missed for - well can't remember when - in fact 1st Saturay worked since I can't remember when. Radio job for me, and a bit of online viewing on my break.

8. cretanpotter

cretanpotter New Member

Man city at home, 1970 2:0 Stoke. all i can remember is how big Joe Corrigan was, watching from behind the goal as he went full stretch sideways to make a brilliant save, Happt resulty days (sigh). Just watched the match here on nova live, good stuff great result although I thought for a while it wasn't going to happen. How did Gyan get round Huth for his goa?, great buy for Sunderland. Keep it up Stoke. UTP

9. peadar1987

peadar1987 Member

Mine was the Millwall game at the Brit in 2003. My dad had been saying for ages he was going to take me to watch Stoke play, but we never seemed to be in England on a match day. It was an awful 0-0 draw (a sign of the binary season to come), neither side showed any quality at all, and Dennis Wise was an arse throughout. I was hooked! D