1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Young Gunslinger Learning on the Job..

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Dec 30, 2016.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Young gun Lee Johnson not afraid to admit that he's still learning on the job at Bristol City
    By a_stockhausen

Lee Johnson openly admits he is learning on the job in the Championship.

The youngest manager in the country when he was appointed by Oldham Athletic in 2013, the former Yeovil, City and Kilmarnock midfielder has come a long way in a short space of time.

Having kept cash-strapped Oldham in League One against all expectations, he was head-hunted by Barnsley. Although only in charge at Oakwell for a relatively short period, Johnson still forged a squad that went on to achieve a League One promotion and Johnstone's Paint Trophy double last season.

Regarded as one of the country's brightest young managers, Johnson took his first job in the Championship when succeeding Steve Cotterill at City in February.

Together with assistant boss John Pemberton, he engineered an upturn in fortunes that saw City stave off the threat of relegation and retain their second-tier status.

Following a good start to his first full season in charge, Johnson is now experiencing his first rough patch since returning to the club he represented as a player between 2006 and 2012.

A sequence of seven defeats in eight games has seen the Robins drop from fifth to 17th in the league and pressure is mounting on City's 35-year-old head coach.

Always honest in his dealings with the media, Johnson admits he is still learning in his role as the Championship's youngest manager.

He said: "We have a group of young players in a tough league, but people have to remember we also have a young manager.

"I'm very committed to the club, but I'm still learning and having to go up against really top people in this league. There are former Champions League winners managing in the Championship.

"I'm trying to do that with a squad which is building and learning in flight as it were. I suppose I feel a bit like a young gun-slinger.

"There are loads of things I'm learning about the division and about myself as we go along, and that's a good thing."

If further proof were needed that Johnson has the backing of the club's hierarchy, it was provided in the form of a contract extension after just nine months in charge.

Given that majority shareholder Steve Lansdown and his board of directors are committed to a long-term project, there is little prospect of Johnson suffering the fate met by Gary Rowett, who was sacked as Birmingham manager last month.

He added: "I feel very grateful to be at a club that has such a sound structure at board level. That means you don't feel as though you are looking over your shoulder or looking into the crowd at would-be managers who are hunting you down.

"The stability of the club definitely helps and it makes what happened at Birmingham less likely. Gary Rowett had done a great job and the new owners had only been in for two games when they got rid of him."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/young-...bristol-city/story-30018535-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Another load of waffle, now he feels like a young gunslinger who is afraid to look into the crowd at would-be managers who are hunting him down.

I am sorry but it is getting more difficult to believe this bloke.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Lansdown will remain patient in my opinion, but for how long?-Talk amongst several of us that watch and from other reports that I read, all spread a similar message and things are definitely deteriorating rather than showing signs of improvement.

We have a chance with the transfer window, but getting this one right is essential. Keeping with the same old favourites regardless of form must go out of the window. Bryan, Reid both need resting, Korey is a shadow of his former self. Tammy needs a break but there is no real replacement, in those circumstances, he must be accompanied up front, Wilbs can do this for most of the game but why Engval is overlooked here is beyond me.

Pace needs introducing and as much as I like O'Neill, he has the ability to slow the game to a halt.

A win tonight is needed!

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

"I'm very committed to the club, but I'm still learning and having to go up against really top people in this league. There are former Champions League winners managing in the Championship.

Ahhhhhh the old chestnut -you get what you pays for generally.

As said get a proven,experienced,manager in and your chances improve big time.

LJ has a massive two games in my opinion, lose both and he has to go.

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think the axe will fall on LJ as soon as/if we get to occupy a relegation place. I think he has 4 more games to save his arse (and ours), starting tonight.

Bristol City is not a playpit for amateurs to practice with.

Red Robin and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  6. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Well Burton won last night and are now only a couple of points behind us.
    Rotherham are as good as down already, so it's perm any 2 from about 8 for the 3 relegation places.

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

If you read between the lines comments made during and after his departure he was only a cog in a wheel that all meshed together, when he left it no difference whatsoever indeed the staff left behind got them through the last 3 months and the honours they achieved......

I disagree with the "he engineered" JP had already done that and he merely fell in line for the rest of the season.......

and whats the connection between flight and young gunslinger .... oh I know young gunslingers were usually crap and didn't last very long

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Ipswich are in turmoil, even in our malaise I think we'll get something tonight.

Guys, Junior will be here even if we're relegated.
    I don't think we will as there at least 3 worse clubs than City.

The problem is the unheard of money already spent and the Kodija and Bolasie windfall - will it be wasted ?
    I really fear Junior will screw up this once in a lifetime budget.

9. Red Robin

We have not won at Ipswich since time began.

10. bcfcredandwhite

I can't see us getting a win - maybe a draw? We always start from 1-0 down these days so we need to score at least 1 in order to have the chance of any points at all.
    Wolves were on a dire run too I believe, before we turned up with our 3-point present for them.

11. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

If Lansdown truly believes he has taken an aspiring world class football manager under his wing then tell him I still have that arable land in the Arctic for sale. Unbelievable corporate waffle bordering on full blown feces.

12. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I wished Wolves Ipswich and Reading a merry Christmas with a happy new year on behalf of Junior ..... hope they are not ungrateful ......

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Fog...

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

16. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

17. Red Robin

And so for one of LJs biggest games in his football management career.
    The outcome we will have to wait and see.

18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

19. bcfcredandwhite

I'm more of a grinch than Redprintt in this one - I can't see us getting anything here.

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

bristolcitysweden
    : Our Lansdown, who art in heaven,
    hallowed be thy name.
    Thy kingdom come,
    thy will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our yearly sacking,
    and forgive us our trespasses
    as we forgive those who trespass against us.
    And lead us not into league one,
    but deliver us from Johnson.
    Amen.