1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World footballer of the year.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by colognehornet, Dec 12, 2016.

1. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Can't believe that Christiano Ronaldo has gone and done it again ! I have never seen Lionel Messi have a bad game, or give less than 100%, but Ronaldo ? On his day he is a great player, but I have also seen him, on so many occasions either sulking or throwing his arms around - in fact, Portugal were better without him in the Euros. I cannot believe that he has won it 4 times and Messi 5 times - Messi is brilliant but the heart of Barcelona (and of the great Spanish team from a few years ago) was Andres Iniesta, possibly the best midfielder I have ever seen. But Iniesta was (and still is) a modest genius. So, who should be World player of the year - Messi, Ronaldo or someone else ?

2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Just sums up their dominance/ability that they have won every award between them since 2008.

And if one hasn't won they've probably come 2nd!

3. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

The problem is that those that deserve it are the guys who put in the hard yards so that the likes of Messi and Ronaldo can show their ability, although to be fair to Messi, he does do that as well. At a local level, would Barnes been as good for us if we hadn't had Les Taylor?

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Is it not then a contradiction in terms to be looking for a 'footballer of the year' in a team sport ? Lionel Messi is a great player, but he plays for Barcelona and Argentina ie. he is used to having World Class players (like Iniesta) around him. The minute Ronaldo does not have World class players around him (ie. for Portugal) he can look very ordinary indeed.

5. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Had a decent season myself. Almost nutmegged the grandson in the park last weekend and he's one of the best 5-year-olds you'll see! Still never been nominated but then Ronaldo and Messi can't go on for ever...<laugh>

Toby likes this.
  6. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

You can't expect to be nominated, theo, when you spend so much time falling over trying to win penalties and getting innocent 5 year-olds sent off.

7. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

It's the refs you get in the park, Andy. Mrs H simply doesn't seem to spot the shirt-pulling and ankle-tapping that precedes the falling over <laugh>

andytoprankin likes this.
  8. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

<applause>