1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wolves v Magpies

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Feb 7, 2017.

1. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Considering how many players in other areas of the pitch we will need to sign I can see Dummett remaining as first choice left back next season due to him being able to defend. We won't be able to replace everybody and the forward players will cost fortunes.

2. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Cm and lb striker and a winger minimum I expect to be honest

3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Excellent away performance again. We were by no means great to watch but we were dogged and well organised. Our away performance this season has been very very good.

If Rafa can sort out his home tactics we can run away from the teams chasing an automatic promotion spot.

We still give the ball away too much. Shelvey still concerns me for the PL with his habit of playing lazy passes.

The way we looked after Costa was superb. He is a talented player who I imagine quite a few are having a look at. Credit to Dummett and Colback. Two players I don't really rate did a number on him. Colback for all his bad points does understand instructions - he had clearly been told to assist in closing him down quickly.

So many requirements for the PL of course. We need a left back, centre back, destructive midfielder, number 10, winger, and a goalscorer as a minimum. If Brighton and Wolves remain in the division we could do a lot worse than Costa and Knockeart but I'd imagine Brighton will be going up and Costa will have better suitors.

anyobrien likes this.
  4. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

I just think dummet is a round peg for a round hole and does a simple but effective job. Does everything simple and is reasonably reliable without being special.

anyobrien likes this.
  5. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

I don't think we need a left back. I think dummet will do a job. Not a wing back mind so if we play that formation then we need a wing back.

6. Warmir Pouchov

He isn't good enough the PL. Goes long and gives the ball away for fun. Decent defensively and reasonably quick. We have to improve our ability to move forward effectively. He regularly stops our play by having to go backwards and just has zero link up with whoever is in front of him. I still think he is a centre back anyway. I would not make it No.1 priority but we need better.

The GKs are not great but can probably all do a job. Yedlin for me is limited but solid enough. Anita can do a job there. I like Mbemba. Lascelles is a bit of an unknown - sometimes like last night he looks ok. Been gash for weeks though. Young enough to improve. Clark is good enough to be an option. I think we need one experienced leader there. Left back we need one for me. Central midfield is a concern. Hayden gives the ball to the other team with alarming regularity and is constantly caught in possession. He will kill you in the PL. He has time but we need a first choice one. Shelvey I think you can go with. Diame would be a massive fail - number 10 clearly needed. I think I'd have Arma as back up next year. Gouffran not good enough. Atsu can do a job if we keep him. So we need a wide man. I think Mitro and Gayle are acceptable options behind a main man.

7. Warmir Pouchov

I think 5 or 6 would needed - quality being the key.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  8. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

Agree. We have got to find some proper quality. If we can just get a proper sh*t hot CM/AM and a quality centre forward then it will make a huge difference. We NEED energy though. I think we often look a bit one paced. Its fine in the Championship but if we go up we really want someone who can lift the team.

9. Captainchaos.

I agree but getting the quality involves cast amounts of cash or luck to be honest

Everyone started getting a hard on when Ashley started signing players for 10 - 13 but that literally the old 4 million bracket of 10 years ago now

10. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

Yep. Quality costs 30m quid now. Even then it's not guaranteed it seems. Look at that Salami geezer Leicester signed. I'd be fuming if we spent that kind of coin on someone so bang average. I don't think Mike is going to deal well with that concept. I think Rafa should have a good idea of who he thinks can cut it but will he get the funds?

11. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Two big hard Wolves boys giving it large in the tier above us, spitting and making gestures.

12. Captainchaos.

Thankfully their day was ruined

13. Warmir Pouchov

This will be the issue. When we shelled on Mitro and Mbemba, that was still decent money. There has now been a monumental jump. The TV money softens the blow of course but it would mean him allowing big money to be spent. You can get some quality cheap of course still and Rafa will need the scouting network to be smart - he will need to get 2 or 3 of those 6 at decent prices. Then we will need to shell a further lump on the rest. You have to be smart. Pay the big money for the striker, the 10 and the destructive midfielder most likely.

14. Captainchaos.

We already have a self destructive midfielder

He's ginger of that helps

15. Warmir Pouchov

Aye he's ****e. To be fair to him and Dummett who I also don't rate, they did a fine job on that Costa last night. Talented lad and they gave him very little room.

Problem is those two and Hayden would literally end you in the PL with their distribution. You'd never see the ball again.

16. PhilK

PhilK Active Member

Too much being talked about Premier. I bloody hope Rafa and the team aren't assuming we're there already
    We WERE 9 points clear of 2nd place at one time.
    Granted, Brighton seem to have the refs eating out their hands. Yet another pen yesterday. They must be in double figures with pens 4 times what we get.
    Always at convenient times too, I notice
    Anyways, worry about buying for the Premier when we're THERE mathematically

anyobrien likes this.
  17. Warmir Pouchov

You can't plan for the PL when we are up, you'd guarantee coming back down if you did. At present they will be assessing both scenarios but placing more emphasis on the PL angle.

18. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

For me Lascelles also plays way too many balls just hoofing it up. Time and time again we invite pressure because the ball just comes straight back causing panic normally.