1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Windows Security - Virus Threats - Call centre scam

Discussion in 'League 2' started by Matster, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've had numerous calls from companies claiming to be some form of Windows Security that suggest that I have a virus on my computer. I usually string them along for a bit before saying that I don't own a computer. I looked it up today and found this:

http://money-watch.co.uk/8183/windows-supporlt-scam-worsens

Just don't get suckered in by them and never down load anything of give away personal details.

Has anyone else had them call??

2. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

excellent important thread matster. i always tell them my laptop is in pc world under warranty. my brother had them on the phone for over an hour getting him to check his computer. when they finally asked for his bank details and £150 he told them to oppit. beware all unsolicited phone calls and knocks on the door i will never buy at the door or phone unless i am phoning them. floreat salopia

3. Matster

Forum Moderator

I would advise your brother that if they got him to download anything that he gets it checked out or installs a piece of spyware software as there might be a key loggers installed to monitor passwords used etc these will be used for malicious purposes.

Microsoft Security Essentials or Spybot Search and Destroy are both good.

4. atcham jack

good point

5. Vanner

Vanner Member

Sounds familiar

6. curtismfc

curtismfc Member

My partner had the same a few months back in which they knew our internet provider before we even spoken to them. This is the same scam by the sounds of it we came across, were he made out we had a problem with our computer & that it needed a better anti virus software. In the end my partner put the phone down but he was persistent in trying to phone back to get money off us. I agree never buy anything your unsure about over the phone. I don't know why they bother, because if people want anything they will either ring up themselves or go out & buy it not get ripped off by some scam merchant.

7. Bilversack

Bilversack Member

Excellent thread Matster, I too have had lots of calls like this saying my Windows Security isn't up to scratch, odd as I have got a Mac.

The calls are usually from India/long distance. Here's another good article about it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

I usually pass them onto the 'owner of the computer' (my four year old boy) and they tire of all the drivel before he does!

8. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

tell them your computer is gas powered like i do that totally baffles them<laugh><laugh><laugh>and it is covered in your contract with the gas board and you will ring them in the morning and get it fixed for free.<laugh><laugh><laugh>

9. shrewdchemic

shrewdchemic Member

Good post - and lots of good advice!

We got caught by this (wasn't me but say no more) and they took control of the computer for a moment. We paid them nothing and took the computer to our local engineers for a disinfect/rebuild. It cost us £70 to clean up but they found 3 viruses so we'd probably contracted something else earlier. We've had them do a rebuild before when we got caught by the bogus AVG anti-virus virus (no idea how we got that one) and the machine crashed.

I hate these scammers and wish them nothing but lengthy prison sentences one day. Some people are disgusting.

10. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

Even if you are on the Telephone Preference Service, it is difficult to catch these scumbags because they operate outside the law on unsolicited phone calls. I always try to get as many details of their organisation as possible and then report them. Surprisingly they are very shy about giving these details.

11. atcham jack

i have recently bought 2 new bt 1200 decor phones which according to argos will display the identity of who is calling, when i read the instructions i have to program it and subscribe to bt to use this service. anyone heard of this before please. aj the original pissed old hack baffled by new technology

12. Matster

Forum Moderator

if you add your numbers to the phone with their names it will show up as their name when they call. The subscribe bit is the Caller Display, which I myself have not got round to doing. Just search online and found this

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25504 which is a BT website

It says Caller Display (or one of four other options) is £3 a month, but if you register for BT Privacy at Home then this is the FREE offer:
    "Get more control over your incoming calls by registering you for the Telephone Preference Service to help stop unwanted sales calls. Privacy at Home also includes Caller Display so you can see the number of the person who's calling before you answer."

13. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the TPS only really covers reputable callers who by law have to work from a list which, if you have registered, will not include your name and telephone number. It does not stop disreputable callers or callers from overseas but it is fair game to try and trap them. Top few are Sky warranty callers, ambulance chasers (who maintain that they have heard that someone in your family has been invoved in an accident and want to claim damages for them), and the above mentioned computer hijackers.

14. Matster

Forum Moderator

The amount of texts saying I can claim £3750 for my accident (I never had) is daft.

15. atcham jack

thanks matster, i get a lot of international calls where the phone rings i answer and the phone goes deead. the next time i get a windows scam i shall try and keep them holding while i extoll the virtues of my laptop driven by solar panels and a windmill in the back garden, and my meccano built router!

16. atcham jack

hi jimmy198880 welcome to our boards, i ssupect you are not that new to the boards as you may have connections with a catering club at the shrews, am i right. ha ha. and you may have had a previous handle also begunning with j. i think we should be told

17. Matster

Forum Moderator

He would be somone sending junk messages with three dodgy hyperlinks at the bottom of his message in his signature.

18. atcham jack

ah ha my 2 and 2 make 5 then

19. Matster

Forum Moderator

notice that he has been deleted by the supermods.

20. atcham jack

i wonder why