1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will Pochettino stay or go?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Southampton.fc/wales, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Still talking over the last few details...money, money, money.

2. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

How much do you think the club is worth? As I already said, any investments in capital will have increased the value of the club by less than what they cost, so that's a loss right there, and one which continues to get greater over time thanks to depreciation or the added costs of keeping it from depreciating.

In 2007 Aston Villa were valued at $140m, or £83m, and they were the 25th most expensive club in the world, according to Forbes.

The figure which PTF is quoting now, which is not the actual figure but the lowest possible figure, is just £1m lower than that.

3. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

Lerner is looking for £200m for villa now.

Fulham sold for 150-200m

4. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

5. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Yeah, given the changes in TV income alone I can't see how a valuation from 2007 would be anywhere near accurate any more.

6. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

Well let's put it into context: the amount Lerner is looking for is more than what Napoli are worth as of the 7th of May this year, and he's still making a £100m loss.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Yep, that and his 8th place finish and his record points haul :)

8. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I like how people are saying you can't slag of Adkins, yet then go on to slag off Pochettino it's kind of funny. You can have a go at him for playing us over the way he has left. But in no way can you have a go at how he has managered our club playing wise.

9. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

10. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

11. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of what he's basing the price on. He's basing it on the value of the club, which, as I've been arguing for some time, is quite typical in being lower than the amount he's spent on it. You don't buy football clubs to make money. No one does. I used Napoli as an example of a club that is in the Champions League, has a massive stadium, and still isn't worth as much as Lerner has spent on Villa. He could have succeeded in his quest to get them into the CL, and would they have been as valuable as Napoli? I doubt it.

Another example: Borussia Dortmund are worth about £260m. Did Lerner really spend £300m with the intention of making Villa a good deal more valuable than Dortmund? Or was it, in fact, a knowing loss, for the sake of his hobby?

12. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

maybe i'm not following the tangent of the conversation but i still equate southampton with approximately the value of villa and fulham (i don't believe it's a piece of piss to turn your stadium into real estate money and be handed a replacement stadium close by at a profit)

what a club outside of the premier league is notionally worth is more difficult to compare.

13. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

@alex_crook: Will be on with @talkSPORTDrive at 6pm to talk about Pochettino. Still no official comment from #saintsfc

14. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

If Adkins were a good Premier League manager, he'd be a Premier League manager.

15. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

The tangent is a simple one: when you invest in a football club, the value does not increase by an amount as high as the money you spend on it. You make a loss. I have used Champions League teams as examples of how Randy Lerner would have made a loss even if he had succeeded in his goal.

I don't know how you can come to a conclusion that Southampton are as valuable as Villa - a club which has a larger fanbase, a 42000 capacity stadium, recent European qualification and whose owner has invested £300m in the space of eight years.

When Craven Cottage was almost sold a decade ago to be converted into flats or something, it was going to go for £50m. It should be even more nowadays. That's part of the reason for Fulham's value. They were also in the Europa League final not too long ago, and they too have had serious investment.

16. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

My guess is that the Liebherrs would yield a profit if they sold the club today. But it really doesn't matter because the amount they gain or lose is fairly small in comparison to their net worth and what they could do playing in markets that are more to their expertise.

I haven't really changed my mind on KL, although obviously this summer has just started. But she strikes me as someone who probably is interested in Saints and probably does somewhat enjoy owning the club. But 1) Winning isn't everything to her, and 2) She's inexperienced and doesn't know about the ins-and-outs of football and maybe has no desire to do so.

So she's just running things the way you'd try to generically run any organization. She wants a solid structure and not crazy Cortese answering to no one. She wants good leaders/organizational types like Krueger. I think she probably is risk-averse as far as spending as any organization should have a fiscally sound bottom line. That could change as she becomes more comfortable with football, the club, and those around her.

TBF, we could do a lot worse. The downside of this approach is you could end up with a boring but stable club that never wins anything. But it's still better than some crazy spending armchair football manager who could bankrupt us.

17. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

You seem to have moved the goalposts frankly. Nobody is arguing that football is a profitable business for most clubs, what we are arguing is that if Southampton was sold today, it would be sold at a profit. That seems pretty inarguable to me.

18. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

Well, regardless of whether Markus' investments would have yielded a profit, if Katharina sells for £100m, she makes a £100m profit. I would be delighted if I heard news of her putting the club up for sale.

19. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

It's only inarguable to you if you ignore my entire argument.

20. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody doubts that MP took us up a few levels, but how many more places he got us to compared to how Adkins would have is the question. I think Adkins would have kept us up last year and who knows where we would've finished under him. To boot he was a nice bloke and 100% committed to the Saints project.

Lol. Yes, but you could say that about any manager, Adkins as well. I bet Dyche would do what Adkins did and make sure that Burnley were sorted out first. MP has just said nothing except palm the questions off coldly while looking after No1. I assume he is now going to have to pay us for the rest of his contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.