1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why I Left 606 - The True Story

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Tewkesbury Addick, May 9, 2011.

1. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

So there won't be any speculation, here's why I quit 606 early.

A great golfer died this week, one of the greatest I've ever seen, and I posted a tribute to him on the Charlton site.

I included in it a very old joke about a game of golf going on in Heaven, adapted to include Seve.

It lasted about ten minutes before going into moderation and was red carded the following morning as being 'offensive'.

I have made my living writing - not posh stuff like Ducker - but commercial copywriting, technical writing, advertising, marketing and PR and I try to maintain the high standards I've always set myself in my career in any medium to which I contribute.

I know what's offensive and what isn't and I refuse to have my right to free speech curtailed by a bunch of intellectual pygmies and trainee Calvinist ministers.

I have always been a strong advocate of moderation on bulletin boards, because I've seen some good forums taken down by unrestricted posting, but enough's enough and I'm very happy to be here on not606, where I believe an air of pragmatism will lead to a much livelier and better quality exchange of views on this game we all love.

End of speech.

2. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

I feel your pain Tewks.
    Lovely Geezer was banned this week for something even less offensive.

3. Tewkesbury Addick

Thank you TC - good to see you on here.

Funny, I always thought LG was your alter ego...

4. Franco5

Franco5 Well-Known Member

I can't blame you Teweks...

The content of your Seve post was in no way shape or form offensive or disrespectful (although the joke was a bit pony... ha ha ha).

It getting pulled was an absolute disgrace and confirmed for me that the mods on 606 had s**t for brains.

Anyway, this site's livening up a bit now with a few of the regulars popping by so who needs 606!

5. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

The one big failing of 606 was the moderating...way way OTT,I have had loads of posts moderated,hundreds and none were in my view offensive.
    I`m sure the mods targeted certain people...ME and modded them,from the point of view I aint sad to leave,but it was a good bunch on there who hopefuly will migrate on mass.

6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

TC, did Lovely ever post anything inoffensive <laugh>

offensive but funny :smile:

7. Ryan-R-An-Addick

I don't think they even read the posts before removing them. They just got a report and immediately pulled it.

I had a bunch of things removed that were literally not even slightly controversial. But yeah, this is a much better site. I've just been waiting for more people.

8. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

I once had a entry pulled and had the audacity to demand an explanation from the politically correct monkies that worked as moderators on 606. They explained that it was the use of a specific word and phrase in my entry. I pointed out that this had been copied directly out of the original post which had remained on the site (presumably from one of their own). No apology, no reinstatement of my post, just numbing indolence from them. Tewks we are all better off on this site which seems at the moment to be well run.

I was going to brand the BBC moderators as oompah lumpahs but that would have been an insult to the Hartlepool supporters (you could say that the pools supporters even have the right ideas about politically correct monkies)
    Welcome to not606

9. sore-feet

sore-feet Member

I agree, 606 was ott and I'm happy with not 606.
    Trouble is, I find this more difficult to negotiate (I'm not greatly technically gifted).
    I have tried to find how to submit a new article/thought but can't:confused:

10. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

606 mods are way over the top i got banned ages ago for constantly promoting this site,what a bunch of wan***s <ok>

11. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

its easy after a while .when i went to school we used a hammer and chisel and a lump of concrete to write on ,i know very little about computers so if i can do it you can

12. sore-feet

sore-feet Member

Must've been an artisans' school; could've used wax tablets - much simpler

13. JT

JT Member

I was banned twice for 'provoking' another member ! No prizes for guessing...

14. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Don't worry Tewkes- you'll never have that problem again!

Mods on 606 made me laugh- only time I complained was when there was a racist comment made about foreigners working in this country and the stereotype of how they do it. They responded back saying they saw nothing wrong with it- so I spammed them until I got a direct response from a personnel, who told me to stop otherwise I would have my account suspended.
    I simply sent a reply back with the quote from said 606 member, and that I would be interested how the print media would react to the BBC not deeming this as racist, but also acceptable on their website. I then received an apology from another mod and the post was removed (not a CAFC fan, btw).

No consistency is my point.

15. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Sore-feet mate, look for the big red box at top of team page which says 'submit an article' push the button and away you go :)

16. OzAddick

OzAddick Member

I want to hear the story behind the 'story" tewkes..

17. redcossack

redcossack New Member

Tewks,

Good on ya. It has taken me a bit of time to find out where you scoundrels are hiding, but can I hide here too? I'll be no trouble. And one day we can all break out as Chrissy Powell's Red terror.

18. Ruby Ruby Ruby Boveeeeeer

Must admit, i didnt see why it was getting hate!

19. cafcnick

cafcnick Member

the Beeb's moderating was so inconsistent. Remember when I made that post about black managers getting priority treatment?!

There was insult flying all over the place and people calling each other racist and hurling abuse

never got taken down

20. Tewkesbury Addick

You should have seen some of the abuse on the Spurs site when they got knocked out of Europe, Nick - absolutely shocking, and all of it just left there without comment. Don't get it at all.