1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who will be the Daddies of London?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Hoddle is a god, Mar 19, 2016.

?

Choose from the following:-

1. Arsenal

30.0%
  2. Spurs

27.5%
  3. West Ham

2.5%
  4. I couldn't give a toss!

40.0%
  1. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

.. I think I recall it ... was it the one where you were answering the question about why you had picked Southampton in particular for a duplicate board persona? ... :)

Sucky likes this.
  2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He gets paid to turn up. I call it solid when you are under the cosh and come out of it the other end with a clean sheet and a point. Couldn't have that every week though, I'd be worried then.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  3. The Ginger Marks

IMG_1305.JPG

PINKIE likes this.
  4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wouldn't go that far. Made one excellent save and a few fairly routine ones, for him.
    Gave the midfield up far too easily in the second half and our weakened defence wasn't quite as good as it normally is.

5. So, we are nearly at the end of 2016, and it is looking like Chelsea will be the Daddies of London at the halfway point of this season, with Arsenal 6 points behind them, and Spurs a meagre 4 points behind Arsenal.

The title is still wide open, this season, with all to play for in the second half of the season.

6. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Ignoring any HIAB undertones and replying seriously:

It's been a good season so far for the London clubs. Given the location, fan bases, managers and finances of the clubs you'd really expect all three to be somewhere near the top of the table. Obviously Spurs have it slightly harder than Arsenal and Chelsea who have had consistent CL football and in Chelsea's case a strong benefactor to cover any years out of the CL (not suggesting abramovic has had to inject money recently given the general success of Chelsea) which obviously gives both teams a financial edge resulting in stronger squads.

Last season was a bit of craziness with Leicester over achieving and several of the big clubs struggling. But this season has shaped up (so far) far closer to what people might expect.

Chelsea and Arsenal you would very much expect to be near the top of the table (credit to Conte who has really turned around the performances since being turned over by Arsenal) and Spurs you'd expect to be around fourth place which despite improvements at the big clubs they've managed to stay within touching distance of.

As much as id love Arsenal to run away with the league and Chelsea and Spurs to fail miserably, it makes for a really exciting league week to week with all three teams genuinely competing near the top of the table.

7. I still think our primary goal must be to finish above Arsenal. If we do that, we know that we'll definitely get 4th spot, because that's where Arsenal nearly always finish.

Other than having to suffer the moronic chuntering of Skiddy and CFC, I have no particular concern should Chelsea win it. Indeed, a good mate of mine supports Chelsea, so I'd be pleased for him. In reality, I don't care who wins it, so long as it isn't either Arsenal or 'Pool.

8. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Do you think it's a reasonable expectation for Spurs to finish above Arsenal given the differences in squad depth, finances, experience, different aims etc...?

I think the desperation to finish above Arsenal might be a negative in Spurs achieving what they are capable of, it's just another level of pressure above what they need. Realistically Arsenal expect a proper title challenge while Spurs would be happy to consolidate top 4.

Also in the last five years Arsenal have finished: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd - giving a higher frequency finishing above fourth and a higher average than 4th... #justsaying

9. Spurs are no more likely to win the title, in an average season, than are Arsenal. However, I do believe that Arsenal is a mental hurdle that we, as a club, have to vault if we are to truly progress.

Our surpassing Arsenal is a more realistic target to tackle than winning the title, and it is one that I believe is not that far from our grasp.

Will we achieve it this season? Who knows? I think we have as good a chance this season as we have had over the past several seasons. What is undeniable is the fact that we keep getting closer. I don't see it being any different this season, especially as Arsenal look just as likely to screw up as we do, at the moment.

10. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Of course Spurs are more likely to overtake Arsenal than win the league, you've got no chance of winning the league and only almost no chance of finishing above Arsenal <whistle>

I do think though that Arsenal shouldn't even come into the equation when you look at what you want to achieve from the season. Arsenal only resort to worrying about finishing above Spurs when we have already ****ed everything else good up! Likewise until you've failed to achieve your real aims you shouldn't worry about where Arsenal finish in the league.

Really Spurs should be looking at the top four and thinking "if we can re-create the consistency of last season, despite maybe not performing to the level of some of the other teams, we have a chance of getting CL football 2 years in a row".

Utd have a squad capable of a lot but Mourinho seems insistent on holding them back more often than not, City have a great squad and manager but are taking time to adapt to Guardiolas tactics and Liverpool are producing very good attacking football but look vulnerable at the back. You have a chance to steal a place at the top table.

Even Chelsea despite there incredible form have looked shaky defensively and Arsenal for all the beautiful football have it in them to falter at unexpected moments.

Focus on your own team and what you can do in each game and you just might achieve top four. Aim for Arsenal and you'll once again fall short and be disappointed <whistle>

11. Nah, it's Arsenal we're after. Sorry.

12. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

No need to apologise, you're an irrelevance to us :emoticon-0136-giggl

Highburyal, PINKIE and gooner4ever like this.
  13. The Ginger Marks

This thread is pants, there's only one 'Daddies of London' may I suggest a name change to who will finish higher behind the daddies of London?

*** normal service has been resumed***

Thank you!

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Classic small club syndrome <ok>

#shadowdwellers

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I love this thread, for this quote alone <laugh>

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  16. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think it's been a mental hurdle for Arsenal, more of a physical one. They've not had a defence like this one and their attack has never been this potent.

They are the only challengers to Chelsea IMO. They will both go the distance.

For Spurs it's just a history of being the bridesmaid. You don't win the title without a Hazard, an Aguero, a Mahrez, an Henry, a Ronaldo etc. I just don't see anyone in Spurs' side capable of taking a game like that by the scruff of it's neck. If they'd have had Bale in their side then they'd have a good chance, but there isn't anyone close.

Spurs' side is full of hard working players who are all decent at their jobs and they've got great balance to their side. They just don't have the player/s who can win them a game when they're not playing well.

There isn't anybody in Spurs' front four that would get into the sides in the current top 4. The only slight possibility is that Kane is a better player than Firminho for Liverpool, but Kane would not suit Liverpool's style.

Trouble is that Spurs don't have the resources to cope with the big boys. Not necessarily in terms of spending money, but pulling power.

The Ginger Marks and PINKIE like this.
  17. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

<fixed>

The Ginger Marks and PINKIE like this.
  18. Spurs have the division's best defensive record this season, conceding 22 goals, and have kept 13 clean sheets, a joint league high with Chelsea.

(BBC Football, on 7 April 2017)

One cannot take away the fact that Chelsea is currently top of the table, but if we are look at the fact that Spurs has the best defensive record in the division, I think we are making a strong case as being this season's Daddies of London.

Discuss.

19. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Nice try HIAG

This sounds very much old HIAG...........I must say

20. I see it as being more nouvelle cheek on the part of the new HIAG, rather than out-and-out old HIAG, Bodi.