1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where do you see us competing next season - and why?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Jul 3, 2016.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Total football<laugh>

San Diego likes this.
  2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I expect us to finish top ten.

3. tractor bhoy

tractor bhoy Well-Known Member

mid table.
    mainly due to our managers philosophy of never trying to win a game rather than issues with the squad.

4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

5. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

18th as it stands

6. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

10th, but it depends on who else we get in this window and whether anyone leaves.

We've got one of the division's best goalkeepers, four good centre-backs, four good centre-forwards, several good young prospects, and a manager, in Mick McCarthy, who has got this squad punching above its weight for the past few years. Personally, I think you'd be a fool to completely write us off for making a challenge for the play offs, as we're in with a shout. Unfortunately, it's not a very loud shout.

We have failed to address the lack of balance in defence, and look set to persist with Chambers at right back. Despite Webster and Ward being good additions, this squad clearly needs more before the end of the window. It's a squad lacking strength in-depth and when some of the fringe players were given an opportunity last year in the cup games, they largely disappointed. Not to mention that some of our 'star players' struggled for form last campaign. There is always the looming threat that McCarthy will revert to a more negative, one-dimensional style of football in the wake of a heavy defeat. While it can occasionally grind out results, it's not pretty to watch, doesn't justify the high ticket prices, and when it fails to yield points, it leads to horrible, forgettable match day experiences.

I think we'd do incredibly well to match last season's league position, let alone better it. There also needs to be the acknowledgement that the teams that came down look primed to go straight back up, and some clubs are still benefiting from the parachute payments and/or wealthy owners. Just look at Wolves recently. And while money is no guarentee to get you promoted (as we found out all too dearly in the Keane/Jewell years), it definitely helps!

I do feel frustration that we're set for another year at this level, based on this current squad. I'll admit that there was a part of me that wanted a complete root-and-branch revolution of the club towards the end of last season. In fact I think there were a few of us who were in that boat. However, having cooled off over the summer and realised that, in retrospect, we didn't have as bad a season (in terms of final league table position) as feared, McCarthy deserves to be given this season. Especially now he has something resembling a transfer budget.

I'll admit that the thought of a younger and more progressive coach is appealing, look at the likes of Bournemouth, Middlesbrough and Swansea. But that's also no guarentee of promotion in itself, particularly with a frugal board, see Cardiff, Blackburn, and Nottingham Forest in recent years.

San Diego likes this.