1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

what will you do if they change our clubs name

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by aberdude, Feb 28, 2013.

1. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

tbh i`d rather go bust <steam>

2. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

They wont do that Aber, although they may start refering to us as the Dragons instead of the Reddybluebirds !!

3. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Cardiff Celts?

:police: on their Way!

Hi-Yo Aber! :emoticon-0103-cool:

4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aber - I didn't quite like the tone of that transcript of VT's interview - to me it sends out the wrong message.

The impression it left with me was that it was his money and he would impose upon the club whatever he felt was necessary to achieve financial success in the far east.

I suppose that's what's it's all about really, but it has left me more uncomfortable than before I read it.

He mentions the popoular success over there of red-shirted Liverpool and ManU, and that's fair enough but they're still called Liverpool Football Club and Manchester United for all the world to see - not renamed after a bloody Indo-Chinese mythical creature. Cardiff City FC is the name, and always should be.

The Welsh connection with the dragon is obvious, but I wonder if that's just being used as a tenuous connection for the consumption of the locals to enlist some support, whilst the far eastern significance is the only thing that matters.

I've always been a committed supporter of VT and still am - what he's done for the club we can't deny. Just hope he doesn't push too far.

5. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Has anyone other than the 'rather blue in front of 2k in the 4th division' forums ever mentioned a name change?

I'm sure the original press release about Red clearly stated the name would not be changed. As for the bluebirds, that seems to make less sense when a team plays in Red but if the fans keep chanting it what can be done about it?

6. Stevoldinho

Alright, just seen the BBC story

7. Stevoldinho

So he's just told us if a majority object to the 'Dragons' name then that would be enough. I agree with you Sparks, I don't like the tone of that interview.

8. GLAMorgan

GLAMorgan Active Member

My initial thoughts were that the bloke is a little bit unhinged, really. Does he really think that it's the rebranding that's brought success rather that the spend on players and having a manager who knows how to utilise those players. There is this rather sinister note where he says 'if people don't like it... I'll go elsewhere'. As far as I'm concerned that's probably what will happen in the long term anyway. But it does concern me that there's some emotional blackmail going on here. 'If you don't support, I'll bugger off'. This leaves it in the fans' hands; they're the ones given the responsibility of going out and keeping the club alive. I've always been pragmatic about it but felt that it should be a gradual thing instead of a rather North Korean 'give a scarf' day, which left me feeling a little uncomfortable. However, turning up and buying a season ticket in the first place is the thin end of the wedge anyway. You've got to be consistent. But people are simply not going to turn up and shout 'dragons, dragons'. If he thinks different then he really does have a screw lose.

9. EldonBluebird

EldonBluebird Active Member

Well this will be a wait and see moment wont it................. The tone sound ominous but are we getting normal BBC journalism or sensationalism ????
    Just a little copy and paste.

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has said that promotion to the Premier League could trigger further "rebranding" and did not rule out changing the club's name to Cardiff Dragons.

We will think about it when we know the final result of this season," he said about using Cardiff Dragons.

Tan acknowledged the "rumours" that have recently emerged over the use of Cardiff Dragons but added: "We haven't discussed this. I've not really thought about this in detail.

So has he discussed it or not ????

10. bluebird_nat

bluebird_nat Member

I think the name change is a step too far. None of us really wanted to change to red but accepted it for the good of the club. I don't think i could do that if the name changed.

It's a shame because we are on the verge of achiving something we have all wanted for such a long time. I would like to achieve it as Cardiff City FC.

11. londonbluebirds

It all sounds rather scary. He has no respect for the name or history of the club. To even think that its the red that makes club succesful is laughable. Madrid and barcelona are definitely not red and liverpool havent won much in ages. That leaves man utd but thats it.

In a few years we could be supporting a completely different club thats just based in cardiff. Scary times. I would rather him go than have the attitude he seems to have. Honestly some of things he has said and the tone it which it comes across makes me want to cry. Seriously! Before long they will be banning people like me who still wears the blue cardiff scarf my dad bought me as a nipper to games. We have a narcissistic chairman it seems and we are slowly get oppressed. Sounds dramtic but im fearing the worst for the name and identity of our club.

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I'm sure it HAS been discussed Eldon - if not formerly in a board meeting, then certainly between themselves as a marketing ploy.

The scarf giveaway was a miscalculation at best, and in my view a probable mistake. I'm not sure what it set out to achieve. You don't gain friends and popularity by handing out free scarves.

I've not said much about it until now as some of our wurzel friends were using it as a "banter" weapon to counter their own obvious inadequacies on the pitch, but it all seemed a bit of a tacky gimmick.

Anyway, that has come and gone, it's what happens here on in that matters.

I hope the vocal minority (and they are a very small minority) who drone on about the colour change, don't pick up more support in their opposition to the new regime after that interview. Otherwise that 80/20 percentage satisfaction split that VT seems happy to accept could drop below his comfort level.

13. whoops

whoops Member

It depends on whether your love for Cardiff City is greater than your dislike of Vincent Tan.

14. McLarenBluebird

It's all a bit MK/Wimbledon at the moment...

15. Stevoldinho

The thing about his 'threats' to leave is that as a skint Championship club that was a massive problem. A team in the richest league in the world has value even if it has debt. Investors would be interested, whether they'd be as 'good' for the club financially as VT is debatable. He held all the cards last summer, I honestly don't think that's the case if we're PL.

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Whoops - there are very few who dislike Vincent Tan - what you'll always hear are the vocal minority shouting louder than the reasonable majority.

Liking him is another matter - his enthusiasm at games is infectious to all of us there, so on that basis, most would say they like him. Personally, I would prefer to have a Welsh businessman with a £1.3BN fortune (AND willing to spend it) at the helm, but there aren't many around.

Bringing success to the club will be achieved through Tan's funding and future committment - we just hope he knows when to stop with his fiddling.

The colour swap was ultimately acceptable to the majority because it was held up as necessary, but the name change would be a massive pill to swallow.

17. andy payton's mullet

andy payton's mullet Well-Known Member

His comments below would worry me if I was a Cardiff fan...

"A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine," he said.

"If they don't want to come to support our business, that's fine. We need the majority."

He added: "I believe the change is for the better. And if you put in a lot of money, surely you have the right to make a call on some things you believe will make it better.

"If you don't have a say, why the hell do you want to put in so much money?"

18. londonbluebirds

Some people need to grow some balls.... Theres 1 million now bend over and let me shaft you...**** sake this is our club. Ive managed to begrudginly except the red kit and the badge as long as we remain cardiff city fc and that the bluebird stays on the crest. Now it seems we could have a full makeover. Im not sure everyone is a tan fan i just think they lack passion to stand up and throw those red scarves that were mildly getting rammed down our throats at brighton.
    Im actually a little embarrassed that there was not more objection to the red colour change at the time. I thought we had more passionate fans at our club.

19. londonbluebirds

Some people need to grow some balls.... Theres 1 million now bend over and let me shaft you...**** sake this is our club. Ive managed to begrudginly accept the red kit and the badge as long as we remain cardiff city fc and that the bluebird stays on the crest. Now it seems we could have a full makeover. Im not sure everyone is a tan fan i just think they lack passion to stand up and throw those red scarves that were mildly getting rammed down our throats at brighton.
    Im actually a little embarrassed that there was not more objection to the red colour change at the time. I thought we had more passionate fans at our club.

20. whoops

whoops Member

Sparkey - I agree with you. But we are where we are. Love him for what he has done financially or loath his plans for the future, it is undeniable that Tan saved us from the financial disaster the club had become. A name change would be a step too far for many but I can't see myself ever turning my back on a club that I have supported for most of my life.

For me it's as simple as that and possibly many feel the same. The worrying thing for me is what would happen if we failed to win promotion and the name change plans still went ahead. That would give many fans a good excuse to walk away. This season could be make or break.

Thus in answer to the original question I would continue to support the club even if the name changed.