1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What little things really Bug you.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Apr 20, 2011.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When I was in junior school we used to go swimming at the open air pool in Bushey during the summer and to the indoor pool at the back of Watford Town Hall in winter. In the later there was a small refreshment counter where I was first introduced to Horlicks. A lady with a small electric whisk would take an age to ensure that it was all dissolved before handing it over for a couple of pence. It was something that we didn't have at home and I just liked the taste.

This brings me on to my first thing that gets under my skin. Packaging. :mad:

As you cannot buy Horlicks in this part of France I came back from my recent trip with a couple of jars. "Just add hot milk and stir" was the message on the jar. It didn't say that I would need a knife to get off all of the film covering it. Having fought my way through that, I find when opening the lid that there is now a foil lid to be removed that has been attached with the most powerful super glue yet invented.

We used to go to the grocers in my youth and buy cheese and bacon that would be cut before your eyes, then wrapped in a piece of greasproof paper. Biscuits were taken out of glass topped tins and put into a paper bag before being weighed. Today you can go to the deli counter I know, but most things are available in more film that you have to cut into.

2. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Frenchie when we get spare parts at work we get a singular rivet or washer in a plastic bag inside a paper bag inside another jiffy bag!!!!

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The next thing that gets me up-tight is modern technology.

Why does Internet Explorer crash, say that is restoring it, then sends a little circle spinning before my eyes for the next half hour and does nothing?
    Why when I wish to speak to a person does someone think that it is sufficient to let a machine answer?
    Why do web sites give you a form to complete to send by snail mail only to send you another form because the one on the web site is out od date?

I could go on.

So if you wish to have a moan about something this is the thread for you.

4. Norwayhornet

Having computer hassles here too! being forced to reload windows 7 after backing everything up ,thank god for my works laptop!

5. Norwayhornet

Took me ages to find the bloody windows recovery disc!

6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Going back to my packaging hate, I recently bought a new handsaw. Bog standard, plastic handle and metal blade.

The teeth had been covered in plastic that needed a sharp implement to try and get it off. The plastic had been put there I guess to stop anyone cutting themselves. No thought had been given to the danger of removing the plastic.

7. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Oh joy, a chance to moan - well here I go:-

- People who wear hats whilst driving (think about it - they are either flat caps or boy racing chavs)
    - Getting stuck behind a women at a cash point:-
    Open bag and dig around for purse
    Open purse and extract card
    Place purse back in bag
    Close bag
    Insert card in machine
    Open purse and find hidden PIN
    Place purse back in bag
    Close bag
    Enter PIN
    Select print mini-statement
    Read mini-statement
    Select cash withdrawl
    Withdraw £10
    Remove card from machine
    Open purse and replace card
    Place purse back in bag
    Close bag
    Remove cash from machine
    Open purse and store the cash
    Place purse back in bag
    Close bag
    Wait 5 minutes to make sure nothing else happens

- People who use a pratnav whilst driving on the M25

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A similar thread came up on the BBC Horse Racing Forum some time ago. Took me ages to find it (doesn't have the search facilities of Not 606).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F19291557?thread=7856579

Takes some wading through but I'm sure some will strike a chord.

9. Norwayhornet

Thanks for that Ron <ok>

10. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

People who wear ties with short sleeve shirts.

People who have a language and do not use it properly.

Television programs that celebrate the lowest level and a desire to not do your best.

11. Norwayhornet

Is there something you need to get off your chest Ak?

12. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Ronnie Corbett

13. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Where to begin? One of the pleasures of becoming an old git is to be able to rage against almost anything, but here's a few for starters:

Extendable dog leads
    People with ill-mannered children called Toby and Josh
    Bottled salad dressing
    Rap
    Professional football managers chewing gum
    The advance of Tescos towards world domination
    Ties

...any combination of the above!

14. Sir_Luther_Blissett

I've got a life to lead, ofh! Now you've started this thread I'm going to be spending most of the next few days on it.
    So, first offering is this:
    BBC Weather forecasts.
    1st of all, don't tell me what the weather has been like today.
    (i'm on a role, wait a minute)

15. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Frenchie, you were lucky. My school took us to the Bushey open air pool in the middle of winter. I would swear that in one session there was ice floating in the water. Which reminds me, I can't stand people who have to trump someone else's story.

I also dislike people who park their cars on the pavement so that you have to walk on the road to get passed them
    Cyclists who ride three abreast (and I cycle so I'm not anti bikes).
    Students who think it is my job to write their theses.
    The quality of coffee in the UK.
    The quality of cheese in NZ (Mrs NZ bought me some very expensive unpateurised French Brie a couple of days ago. It was devine)

I could go on but I'm supposed to be working

16. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

my broadband and phone provider! i lose it at least once a month, it's the most irritating and annoying contract ever coz i can't get out of it yet!

17. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Sorry, I was trying to type that on a phone. I get so incensed by this I had to turn on the computer and tap tap away, risking the wrath of Mrs SLB <yikes>.

However, where was I?

Oh yes.

Don't tell me what the weather has been like today - I know, I was there!!!
    Also, that's not exactly forecasting, now is it?

Then there's the wide-shot. Now I'm not being nostalgic, "wasn't everything marvellous in the 1970s?" about this, it wasn't - may I remind you of The Dooleys?
    BUT, when Michael Fish or whoever it was stood up to do the weather forecast, wearing a dubious checked jacked and non-matching nylon trousers, he stood in front of the British Isles, perhaps it was the United Kingdom I can't remember.

So cross I had to get a picture:

please log in to view this image

Right, so we've got England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands. I think some of the more remote islands would be in a little box on the edge of the screen.

But then slowly but surely it became this:

Here we've got France, Belgium and Holland thrown in to the mix. So now the BBC weather forecast includes England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Eire, the Channel Islands, France, Belgium and Holland.

And then that in time became...

By which time BBC weather forecast includes England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Eire, the Channel Islands, France, Belgium, Holland, West Germany, East Germany, Denmark, Luxembourg and Norway (wait for it :wink:).

Not satisfied with that, it then became:

Now, I'm not even in our current decade <laugh>. But already, 10 years ago, the BBC weather forecast was including England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Eire, the Channel Islands, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany (by this time unified, so one less country I grant you, but still the same non-UK land mass in our weather forecast), Denmark, Luxembourg, Norway, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Austria, and the tip of northern Hungary.

Now I'm no xenophobe, really, but the further out into space these halfwits go to deliver their forecast the smaller on the screen the UK is and the more generalised the forecast.

So what do they do to counter this? They rush through the majority of the day's forecast, but then stop Time at some random hour, and do a close-up pan of the country. They take about two minutes to complete this tour of Britain's weather, which would be fabulous detail were it not for the fact that it is the weather forecast which is only relevant for 10 'king minutes of the day, we've lost all perspective of what direction the weather was coming from, I don't know what the temperature will be four hours afterwards, or if it's going to 'king rain in that evening, because you spent so 'king long on what it was like across the country at 2.15pm!!

:steam:

I'm not ranting, am I? I mean you'd tell me if I was, wouldn't you? That's what friends are for, isn't it? You'd drag me away with a shrill "Leave it, SLB, it's not worth it!", wouldn't you? I don't to make an idiot out myself, is all I'm saying...

:wink:

18. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Sorry about the language, by the way. Sort of swore a bit there, but I suppose you've got filters on if you want them?
    :D

19. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Turning computer off now and returning to phone view. I hope I don't think of anything else tonight :wink:.

<ok>

20. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

lol...SLB, can we safely assume that the weather forecast irritates you?