1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Bromwich Albion v Saints, 3pm Saturday 8th April

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Onionman, Apr 6, 2017.

1. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I've got ward-prowse & Davis mixed up a couple of times in the past.
    I do sympathize with the commentary team

2. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've started checking the numbers on the back for those 2. The BBC have still have JWP credited for Davis' goal line clearance in the bournemouth draw in their match report.

I guess thats just another thing that adds to Davis' underappreciation score.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Redmond has helped by having a skunk stripe on his head....if only all the players could colour their hair....would help those with failing eyesight. Of course some have distinctive gaits....no one could mistake the Long waddle for anyone else.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  4. saint horatio

saint horatio New Member

look up the story of the Nanjing massacre and you will see why the Chinese hate the Japanese.

5. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Posted the same thing yesterday.

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

I often get Clasie and Van Dijk mixed up.

7. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

The pronunciation of Southampton as South Hampton, annoys me.
    It may very well have started out as that, but there is only one H in the word now and the end should be pronounced " thampton"

Onionman likes this.
  8. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

As much as it annoys me to hear it as "Soufampton" by many fans. The loss of the old Hampshire burr still upsets me. Mine's been swamped by half a century of exposure to scouse, but I love it when I still hear it. Particularly miss those cries of "Roast 'em (add name)" when a pacey player took on a defence. I think we should reprise it. "Roast 'em Nathan boy" must be the shout for the next game!

fatletiss likes this.
  9. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

I'm not good with these its not hard to understand why things. I need to understand why you think its not hard to understand why and if its for the same reasons I understand that its not hard to understand why. So, why is it not hard to understand why?

a) Because they don't like the Japanese?
    b) Because the Japanese are really good at playing bad guys?
    c) Because the Japanese really are the bad guys?
    d) All of the above?
    e) Some other reason?

:confused:

10. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

I'm going to have to reply to my own post as I just found your reply
    I'm going with d) All of the above

And therefore, most importantly, Maya won't be going to China :emoticon-0157-sun:

11. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Serbian commentators aren't very good at th so we're soutampton but because Serbs pronounce every letter my favourite is tot ten ham. They just won't have it when I say totnum.

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

My gut instinct is that Maya Yoshida was not involved in the Japanese invasion of mainland China in the 30's, and certainly played no part in the Nanjing massacre. Neither did he occupy Singapore or was employed as a camp guard on the Burma railroad.

I understand why people have historical aversions to other nationalities and races, but there is absolutely no excuse for it nowadays.

I still don't think Maya will go and play in China though. He is a Southampton man now, and knows how much we love him. Please give him a new contract, Les!

13. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

If he signs a new deal he will be the first player from Japan to stay for two contract extensions in europe. That is pretty impressive.

14. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Your attitude is (thankfully) the norm these days in the West. Very few people you meet harbour any sort of genuine dislike for German people, or anyone else. However I promise you it is a much different story in Asia.

The open animosity between people of certain countries is a real eye-opener. Ask most Chinese and Koreans about the Japanese and they will admit they "hate" them. Sadly the younger generation, even school kids, will confess the same, without even knowing why.

Both countries have territorial disputes over different sets of islands with Japan (much like we do with Argentina), and the anti-Japanese propaganda from both governments and media is very strong. When I was in China there were protests (allegedly organised by the government) against Japan, and people set about smashing up Japanese-owned businesses and even stopping Japanese brand cars in the street and vandalising them. Many Chinese restaurants had banners placed above them saying things like "No Japanese dogs welcome here" etc.

Imagine doing something like that in England re the Germans. Simply not gonna happen. It's a different world over there. Of course you will still find some Japanese living there, but believe me it wouldn't be as appealing for Maya as it is for Western players. That said, money overrules everything, even fear.

saintlyhero likes this.
  15. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member