1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wenger To Sign New Contract with Gunners!

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Hoddle is a god, Feb 5, 2017.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

There's also the suggestion that Real will come after him if they sack Zidane. I'd love to see Simeone at Arsenal, but I think it's a long shot to be honest.

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Is a good point.

Has repeatedly said he's happy there and is a club man too. I think he will move in the not too distant future but this Summer will likely be too soon.

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Skylarker likes this.
  4. I'm betting you can get the result you need, Roofie.

I think whoever loses is going to be one of the three going down, as I can see either of Palace or Sunderland pulling off an escape.

5. Arsene Wenger may wait until the end of the season before deciding whether he renews his contract as Arsenal boss, despite previously saying he would decide in March or April. (Telegraph)

Talk about teasing the fans!
    <laugh>

6. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Technically Bournemouth isn't in Dorset.

7. It is, you know, Sky.

8. Out of curiosity, Pix, given a choice between Arsenal and 'Pool, who do you think Simeone would choose?

The problem that 'Pool have got is that they have pretty much turned into a hire-and-fire club, just like every other club; whereas Arsenal will be able to point to Wenger's long reign, with the implication that the new chap will enjoy the same kind of loyalty.

Of course, that will most definitely depend on the new chap getting top 4 every single season, just as Wenger has done, which is pretty much a long-shot.

On the down-side for Arsenal, is the fact that no decent manager will want to step in immediately after Wenger, because they are on to a hiding to nothing in trying to follow in his footsteps. It might take a couple of Moyes or Hodgson type appointments (and inevitable sackings) before a decent manager is prepared to come in and "save the club from calamity."

I'm interested to hear what your thoughts are on the matter, mate.

9. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

It used to be part of Hampshire, then became Dorset, but since 1997 they went alone. Just pointing out a small error in PISKIE's post <ok>

Some argue it is, some like their autonomy and argue it isn't....

Since 1997, the town has been administered by a unitary authority, giving it autonomy from Dorset County Council although it remains part of the ceremonial county. The local council is Bournemouth Borough Council.

10. The old HIAG would have loved that.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Taking your point about 'no decent manager will want to step in after Wenger', your thinking seems slightly confused and a little contradictory, as you've been advocating that Wenger is a spent force, yet say that any manager will be 'on a hiding to nothing trying to follow in his footsteps'.

You also seem to be contradicting yourself saying that Arsenal need a moyes or hodgson type to fail and be sacked before somebody like simeone would come in, as you have been infamously quoted as saying that simeone could do no better than either of the aforementioned managers.

Anyway, cutting through your rather disjointed post, I would say that a manager like Simeone / Allegri / Sampaoli would relish the chance to manage Arsenal as they would be guaranteed stability from the board, a huge cash reserve to spend on the squad and support from the fans who are keen for change.

I agree that top 4 would be a minimum requirement, but Arsenal have enough in reserve to cushion the effect of 2-3 seasons out of the CL should it happen, and whilst any new manager adapted during a transition period.

It's ironic in a way that Top 4 under Wenger is no longer being tolerated as being enough, whereas a new manager would be given some slack should he finish outside the top 4 for a couple of seasons.

12. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Spurs nightmare scenario is that we get a new manager who makes us title winners again, whilst they flounder at Wembley

PINKIE likes this.
  13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It speaks volumes that it takes Arsenal to go through a bad patch for Spurs to get anywhere near us, yet still haven't manage to overtake us or win anything.

You're right to point out the fear latent in Spurs fans, that a change of management at Arsenal could reinstate the gulf that has existed for the last 20 years.

14. There are no contradictions in what I write, at all, Pix.

Are you so arrogant to presume that Arsenal will do something that neither 'Pool nor United has been able to do, and replace a long-standing manager without breaking their stride, and continue getting top 4, season in and season out?

The stats are clearly against that happening.

What the stats show is more likely to happen is for there to be a substantial period of adjustment, with it being more likely than not that you will finish outside the top 4.

The other factor that seem to be prevalent is that you can expect to get through quite a few managers before you find the one that is going to take you forward.

I repeat, no manager worth his salt is going to want to be the first one to come in after Wenger, since the stats show that he is on a hiding to nothing.

Please tell me what is confusing about that?

There is nothing disjointed about my post. I am sure that any reasonably intelligent reader will be able to follow my arguments.

Wenger is being pushed from your club because fans believe he cannot deliver you titles or trophies any longer. The new bloke coming in immediately after him has the weight of Prem stats against him, showing that a new manager, taking over from a long-term incumbent, generally does very poorly. Is Simeone going to do any better than either Moyes or King Kenny when they took over from Fergie and Benitez, respectively?

Perhaps you feel that Simeone will emulate what Conte has done with Chelsea? But isn't it more likely that he'll emulate Klopp at 'Pool?

What I am say - please be clear on this - is that whoever comes in at AFC immediately after Wenger is, statistically, more likely to be perceived as a failure than as a success.

Please explain whether or not you remain unclear on this point. Or, can we move on?

There are reports in the press that Allegri has made it clear that he doesn't want to manage Arsenal.

As for Simeone and/or Sampaoli, it remains to be seen as to whether or not either of them would "relish" the chance to manage Arsenal. Both will be only too well aware that the Prem is a graveyard littered with managerial failure. Look at the managers that have been through City, Chelsea, United, 'Pool, and Spurs, and assess for yourself the chances on AFC getting it right first, second or third time round.

You mention money, but your owners have yet to prove that they are willing to spend any of it. Do you really think that they are going to spend big money getting in a top-name manager, and then giving him a blank cheque-book to spend his way to potential failure?

If they are, why don't they do that with Wenger?

Personally, I cannot see it happening.

Come of it, Pixie!

Are you seriously suggesting that the average Arsenal fan is going to put up with 3 seasons outside the Top 4, and for there to be no repercussions for the manager?

You're living in a dream-world, mate!

<doh>
    Stop it! You're killing me with your delusions!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  15. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

The gulf is still there as Spurs haven't actually won anything - all they have done is close the points gap that exists from double digits to less than 5, yet still not managing to overtake us

16. astro

astro Well-Known Member

And so begins Arsenal's last CL game of the 2010s

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. As usual, you are looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope.

In absolute terms, Arsenal are not doing badly under Wenger; it's the fact that Spurs are looking more and more likely to challenge for the title that has galvanised Gooners across the land to demand more from the club.

If you get rid of Wenger, it's more likely to have an adverse effect than a positive one. If that turns out to be correct, you are going to be a long time in our shadow.

18. Not yet, that is true.

19. astro

astro Well-Known Member

And it's already a shambles

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I've just pointed out your contradictions, namely that you advocate Wenger as a spent force, yet then say that any manager following him is on a 'hiding to nothing trying to follow in his footsteps'. As well as your contradiction that Arsenal would need to appoint a couple of 'failures' like Moyes or Hodgson before somebody like Simeone would manage Arsenal, yet you also say that Simeone would do no better than Moyes or Hodgson.

As for the 'arrogant' comment. If you read my comment, I've already said that a new manager may well finish outside of the top 4 for a couple of season, so you 've missed the point again there I'm afraid. Also if you read the comments from Arsenal fans (which seeing as you claim to be A87 you should be familiar with) you will understand that most fans would actually tolerate a couple of seasons outside of the Top 4 during any rebuilding process.

As for Arsenal and their spending, on the one hand you try and argue that Arsenal spend loads and is the only reason that we are more successful than Spurs, but also try and say that the board are 'money-grasping' and dont' spend enough. So that's more contradiction. the reality is that the board have made money available to Wenger, but largely he has chosen not to spend it. Any new manager coming in would have the backing of the board, security from the board and money made available to spend, knowing that they are not going to be kicked out after a couple of seasons, like you have done at Spurs.

You seem to have it in your head that Arsenal will 'have' to get through several managers before we appoint the right one, but that is simply your wishful thinking. And it's the very reason why I have been advocating that that Wenger should only be replaced with a manager who can achieve at least what he is doing now.