1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wenger: forget about the table

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Arsenal87, Apr 22, 2016.

1. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Youre quite right......hopefully I have addressed this now

2. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

That's exactly what any fan would say. The only issue is what to do about it. A few years back people were saying similar things about Daniel Levy as the anti-Wenger brigade say about him. We were supposedly lacking ambition and stagnating in 5th place. People wanted a change to spending more money etc. But that was never going to work as with the sixth biggest income we were never likely to be better than 6th. Instead we've concentrated on things that really change our prospects such as a new stadium, training ground and commitment to youth. That was a lengthy project and was pushed off course for a few years when Harry Redknapp had to rescue us from the Ramos debacle. We could have got rid of Levy and tried a riskier approach but I'm glad we didn't.

I think your choices amount to this: Keep Wenger and have a 60% chance of remaining where you are, a 25% chance of getting better and a 15% chance of a disaster. Or sack him and have a 30% chance of getting better and a 40% chance of disaster. Getting someone as good as Wenger is not a given.

winifred122 likes this.
  3. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I don't know where you got your stats from. I think there are 2 extremes in this debate. Wenger needs to leave and NOW vs those who feel he cannot do any wrong, and he should stay as long as he wants regardless of the results. However the silent majority are somewhere in between. They feel if he strengthens in the key areas, we could mount a serious and sustaining challenge. We were the only team in the whole league (4 divisions) not to sign an outfield player at the onset of the season. He said he at the beginning of the season we have all he required, we all knew he was being dis-ingenious and taking for us fools.
    What is the alternative, we accept how things are and be grateful for the same results next season? I would be forever grateful (and I am sure are the majority of the fans) to Wenger. It just seems he is always blinded at various points to the teams deficiencies. Imagine where we would be with a 20-25 goal Centre Forward.

Also comparing Levy to Wenger is like comparing oranges and pears. Change is always not without its upheavals, if things continue as it is, and the brand image continues to take a battering, I am sure the powers that be would then have to make a call. I just hope AW can just stop being so stubborn and address the key areas that needs addressing.

winifred122 likes this.