1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Well, this is it.......

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Mar 29, 2017.

1. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Where is your proof of this ?
    Show us

Or dont bother

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

The UK's EU membership fee
    The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2016 the UK government paid£13.1 billionto the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be£4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.6 billion.

Each year the UK gets an instant discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth almost £4 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £17 billion in contributions.

please log in to view this image

The UK doesn’t pay or "send to Brussels" this higher figure of £18 billion, or anything equivalent per week or per day. The rebate is appliedstraight away, so the UKnever contributesthis much.
    The UK’s contributions to the budget vary from year to year. They’ve been larger recently than in previous decades.

please log in to view this image

A membership fee isn’t the same as the economic cost or benefit
    Being in the EU costs money but does it also create trade, jobs and investment that are worth more?

We can be pretty sure about how much cash we put in, but it’s far harder to be sure about how much, if anything, comes back in economic benefits.

£55 million a day doesn't include the rebate and is not based on recommended figures
    Theclaimthat the UK’s membership fee is £55 million a day comes from the £20 billion annual UK payment to EU institutions listed in the Office for National Statistics' (ONS) Pink Book.

The ONS told us this isn’t the correct figure to use. It hasanother set of figureswhich actually represent official government payments, although this isn’t clear from the release.

The £20 billion figure includes payments to EU institutions by UK households, and so doesn’t represent what the government pays as a ‘membership fee’.

The Treasury has more up-to-date estimates than the ONS, and uses slightly different accounting methods. They show that the UK government paid in £13.1 billion in 2016.

We previously said that “it's reasonable to describe £55 million as our ‘membership fee’, but it ignores the fact that we get money back as well.”

This was based on the understanding that the rebate is paid up front and then sent back, which we now know is wrong.

£350 million a week doesn’t include the rebate but uses better figures
    It’s also been claimed that we send £350 million a week to the EU. That also misses out the rebate, although is based onbetter figuresfor the UK’s contributions.

£350 million is what we would pay to the EU budget, without the rebate.

But the UK actually pays just under £250 million a week.

The UK Statistics Authorityhas saidthe EU membership fee figure of £19 billion a year, or £350 million a week, is "not an amount of money that the UK pays to the EU each year".

The UK gets money back
    The government then gets some of that money back, mainly through payments to farmers and forpoorer areasof the country such as Wales and Cornwall.

In 2016, the UK's ‘public sector receipts’ are forecast to be £4.5 billion.

So overall we paid in £8.6 billion more than we got back, or £24 million a day.

The Treasury figuresnotepayments the EU makes directly to the private sector, such as research grants. In 2014, these were worth an estimated £1 billion, so including them could reduce our net contribution further still.

The money we get back will be spent on things the government may or may not choose to fund if we left the EU. It’s not enough to look at the net contribution in isolation because what we get back isn’t fully under our control.

Different figures from different sources
    The Treasury's European Union Finances release provides the best figures for the UK’s contributions to the EU budget, according to the ONS.

The Treasury and ONS both publish figures on the subject, but they're slightly different. The ONS also publishes other figures on contributions to EU institutions which don't include all our payments or receipts, which complicates matters.

The ONS figures ultimately come from the Treasury, and the numbers aren't the same because they categorise and account for the payments differently.

The European Commission is stillanother sourceof information which shows lower contributions.

Correction 25 February 2016

We replaced the original article from 2014 with a more detailed explanation. We’ve corrected what we said about the claim that the UK’s EU ‘membership fee’ is £55 million a day, as noted in the text above.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

3. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

You didn't vote for mine and you don't have any of your own and you don't even live in this country??

Very gallant, a stark representation of the stay brigade.

BTW, 46 million is not 70 million so thanks for that!

4. BrightredRickster

But where does it talk about lost revenue as a result of exclusion from the single market ?
    And the fact that we have a government that cannot be trusted to re-distribute those funds across the whole spectrum of society ?
    Sorry but I don't see this as anything short of catastrophe.
    And if Scotland leaves (followed by N Ireland and Wales ?) how then the balance of payments ?

5. BrightredRickster

46 million is not 17, the point being that 17 is not the majority of votable people in Britain so how can you call it a democratic action ?
    How exactly do you assume that I don't have children ?
    Or doesn't that conform to your fantasy world ?
    You know what Banksy
    You may have taken the name of a free-thinking political commentator, but you talk like a dyed-in-the-wool Tory.

Anyway, this has been fun, but I actually have a life, so if you don't mind I will say goodbye.
    We won't talk again

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I'm not in the least bit surprised that they want to hurt us.
    I just didn't see this particular swipe coming.
    I expect it to get a hell of a lot nastier - we are only on day 2.
    We will just have to walk away from them completely with no deal I suspect.

7. banksyisourhero

Thats ok, I'm trying to cut down on Snowflakes anyway.

I like to look at the positive side of things before I assume everything is going to go tits up.

8. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

absolutely
    democracy, unless stated a majority of 1
    a third? of the population is under 18? so it would be fair to say it was a very good turn out.

NOW. the in's say a lot of those didn't vote because they thought it was a forgone conclusion staying in, because they didn't think then there would be a vote out, not very clever! But also not clever enough some of them to work out that......
    the outs also had the same thought pattern that they couldn't win because it would be a forgone conclusion ... in ....

so in actual fact the vote was extremely fair because both sides had peeps that couldn't really give a s***

CAMERON was responsible for proposing the vote! no, he was the elected primeminster that ended years of this country being destroyed by a Labour GOVERNMENT, that left this country with a black hole of £billions and nothing to show for it.... the oil revenue, £trillions wasted, gold reserves one of the worlds highest at the time sold Where are the £ billions? and we have no gold! we were lucky the next general election 7 years ago did not come 6 years or worse still 5 years ago or we would have been in the same group as Spain, Italy AND Greece.
    Both parties stated they would hold a referendum on Europe, thankfully the present government is having to see the will of the majority of the UK POPULATION to a successful transition. Cameron even before the last election stated he would turn the reigns over to new primeminister about 2 years into the next term... he did brexit or not.

Scotland is now in the hands of a self centered despot hell bent on becoming the grand fuhrer of a nation that is not even 10% of the UK POPULATION. And yet due to 80% of its population living in a small central belt has an unproportioned % of Westminster MP'S! If I was not half Scots I would say go and join Greece, the reality is they have no income to support themselves and depend on the rest of the UK mainly England to give them support! if they left Westminster £wise would be much much better off....

end of

9. banksyisourhero

This gentleman can have my final say on Brexit, its sums up completely how I feel about it.

10. johngalleyfan2

says video cant be played

11. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

You can only watch it in the EU ;)

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I couldn't agree more, I don't want a 'benevelant dictatorship' and I no longer want to hear from 'selfish comedians, tinpot celebriies or liberal elites' and I am proud to be part of the thick majority.

Nice one Pat Condell, a bloody good video..

Red Robin likes this.
  13. johngalleyfan2

damn will have to wait till I :emoticon-0105-wink: get back to earth then!

RedorDead likes this.
  14. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Wednesday was a sad sad day for Britain.

Whilst a very slight majority voted out last June, the majority definitely did not vote for the consequences of the stubborn hard Brexit that the dangerously incompetent government is pursuing under the most pathetic opposition from Labour

15. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I want a hard Brexit :1980_boogie_down:

16. Mind the gap!

Not surprised

Red Robin likes this.
  17. banksyisourhero

Yes they did, but thanks for telling people who voted differently to you what they actually voted for..

play the video snowflake!

18. banksyisourhero

you need a new laptop / pc..

19. Mind the gap!

1 vote doesn't give the winner a blank canvas to do whatever they want free from scrutiny. A hard Brexit is not the desire of the majority

20. banksyisourhero

Cant remember there being any debate about hard brexit or soft brexit when we voted snowflake? it was shall we leave or not, the MAJORITY voted to leave!

Your changing of the goal posts makes no difference we are leaving, dry your eyes...

Red Robin likes this.