1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Well i never

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by white horse, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Hoppersblue10

Hoppersblue10 Well-Known Member

Does that happen then if you are a supporter/fan in the first place.?

Surely by the time you are a mature teenager or adult you are hooked, stuck with that team for the rest of your life. You will undoubtedly change your house, car, maybe your wife & hopefully your pants during your life time but change your football team......nah, not in a million years, I may be unhappy & frustrated with ITFC at this point in time but I love/support them as much as ever.! COYBs

2. King_of_Portman_Rd

King_of_Portman_Rd Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just to try and swing this thread in a different direction... Does anyone on here go and watch any other teams play? Non league etc. or their local league riff raff? when Town are away or aren't able to get to too many matches.....

When I was at Uni I used to go and watch Sheffield United quite a bit, I suppose I just needed my fix of frustrating, disjointed football on a bloody miserable Saturday afternoon to kick my weekend off <laugh>

3. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Anyhoo, who the **** gives a toss about rep points etc? Do you win something if you get so many points?

4. Hoppersblue10

Only England, (got tickets for Montenegro game & U21s at PR) I can get up for that as I am patriotic, proud to be English & want my country to win in any sport.

As for watching other club teams, I reckon I can count on the fingers of 1 hand the amount of other club teams I have been to watch, although saying that I been to Utd half a dozen times at Old Trafford & Wembley, reason, my son was a fan when younger but he is now 14 & seen the real value in supporting your local team. He is now also a Town season ticket holder (3rd year), he wanted the Town kit last season & wants the new one next season. I reckon he is now hooked.!

I did travel all the way to Sheffield to watch Wednesday play QPR once, only because I was over half way to Hull for a Town game that got called off due to a waterlogged pitch....

Other club teams, it just aint the same as watching Town.

5. Hoppersblue10

rep...<ok>

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Can we all please put the handbags away ladies.

7. Hoppersblue10

Huh.....you bully...<laugh>

8. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

In answer to your question KOPR I go and watch Cambridge Utd when I am fed up with watching Town (which these days is fairly often) and I also watch Crawley Town as my son is a season ticket holder! I only support the mighty Blues of course but I do like to watch other teams when I get the chance.

9. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think if i moved to another area i would adopt the local team as my second team and lend my support when i could, but as has been said before once you have supported your local team for a while to change is RIDONCKULAS, and if you can swap teams i would say then you were not a true supporter.

10. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

How the hell do u give rep points??

All the games I've been to see of other teams have actually made me think more positively about going to see Ipswich as the games I have seen weren't the best of quality.

Went to see Torquay a few times, very interesting ground right ontop of a massive hill in the middle of a housing estate, feels proper old school but you just get the feeling when you're there that it hadn't been spoilt by the big bucks of the PL, it reminded me of going to Ipswich when we used to have a bit of soul a few years ago.

And been to see Bangor City (North Wales) a few times as I have a friend up there all usually very poor quality but the interesting thing is the home crowd change ends at half time to be the end which Bangor are attacking, (that's how sparse the ground is)!!! One game the opposition manager was no other than Andy Legg (really long throw) who we had on loan under Burley I beleive, he was certainly a fiery character and was sent off not for shouting at officials or the opposition but at the the fans, he used words I've only heard Spanish use before!!!!

11. Mad ads666

Mad ads666 Well-Known Member

seen bridgwater town a couple of times. and left it at that. town thru and thru just can't get to see them as often as i want.

12. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Click on the black star above the like/ dislike button to add rep.

13. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

rep <ok>

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Other teams:

Watched (but didn't support) Pompey a fair few times while I was at Uni, incidentally while Town were in their prime under Burley and Pompey were a second tier side.

Then moved to London in 2004 and took in about a dozen Spurs games (I had a flat in White Hart Lane itself) over a 5 year period as well as getting back to Portman Road under Royle and Magilton far more often than I had done since moving away.

Have watched a few games at Old Trafford a couple of years ago while I was seeing a Manc lass, but could never bring myself to sit in the home end at Elland Road so the last few years have just watched a peppering of Town away games.

15. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

I occasionally go to Sixfields to watch Northampton play, I have a few good friends who are season ticket holders and it's always a good day out, and a good piss up in the Sixfields Tavern before and after the match. I sometimes take my teenage boys along, they "support" Man U and Arsenal and have been to The Emirates and Old Trafford, so I think that it's good for them to see what it's like at the other end of football spectrum, and they enjoy it too.

Earlier in the year I went to Wembley for the League 2 play-off final v Bradford, a great day out on the lash in London with some top Cobblers lads, but coming back on the train after Bradford had done a complete demolition job on Northampton there were Cobblers fans in tears, me? I really didn't give a ****, it wasn't Ipswich, fantastic day out though! <ok>

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I also went to Wembley to see Barcelona, Spurs, Celtic, Al-Alhi play a pre-season tournament. Getting to see Messi and co up against my favourite player at that time Aaron Lennon was quite something but I have to say the Celtic fans were the best of any I have seen at a game.

17. King_of_Portman_Rd

King_of_Portman_Rd Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have you thought about going to watch Coventry play?

They seem to have been involved in a fair few 5+ goals thrillers so far this season

18. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

No, not unless they draw us at "home" in the FA Cup! ;)

19. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

Listen, i don't mind anybody being negative and expressing their views, what got me going is the apparent gloating about us being **** and how right he was, in my view no supporter would act like that. If im wrong, im wrong and offer my apologies, but i don't think i am. Just my view.

20. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Spent the mid Eighties in Nottingham and saw them a couple of times,included the scariest experience I've had at a footie match.Forest we're playing Man U at home and had the audacity to equalise in the last minute.There followed a hail of coins,snooker balls etc.