1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Wednesday 19th. April 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Apr 18, 2017.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Wednesday's Meetings

Newmarket

Flat 7 Races 1:50-5:20p.m.
    Cheltenham
    N/H 7 Races 2:05-5:30p.m.
    Beverley
    Flat 8 Races 2:15-6:20p.m.
    Sedgefield(E)
    N/H 7 Races 4:50-8:00p.m.
    Wolverhampton(E)
    A/W 7 Races 5:40-8:45p.m.

Racecards

At The Races
    Racing Post Bloodstock
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

2. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Chippenham is now qualified for handicaps but old boy Gosden keeps him to maiden company of the morrow (3.25 Beverley). Is this because (i) he thinks his perch of 75 is far too high and he won’t be able to be competitive off it or (ii) he thinks Chippenham more than capable of winning a maiden first. You pays your money, people, and you makes your choice. Only 5 runners but the other horses all hail from decent barns. I’ll await the ‘first show’ before deciding how or if to proceed.

Going off on a tangent somewhat I do find this period of the term one of the most dangerous punting wise as in the NH sphere you have so many animals ‘over the top’ and on the Flat Turf so many beasts out for a mere ‘prep’ or badly in need of the run. A lot of them, people, one way or another won’t be anywhere near 100% in this somewhat ‘interim’ period.

3. stick

stick Bumper King

God help the readers then Barney as they have had it tough enough for the last few months already. The Chippenham soup kitchen queue is I understand around the block now. The we love Barney t shirts replaced by ones that say I was there when Barney tip won! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

4. Sir Barney Chuckles

Stick, my old love, did the steward forget to put the tonic in your lunchtime GnT?!? You sound more stewed than the beef I’ve just chomped on at the ‘top table’. Although if it’s a case of you being somewhat ‘stewed’ as a result of continually toasting Mrs May’s recent announcement then that is understandable.

Will you be having your usual Oxtail in the soup kitchen this eve?!?

5. stick

stick Bumper King

Not a chance Barney. If it's soup I am having then it will most likely be a Monkfish Cataplana. Twenty Eight degrees in the shade at my dining place old boy.
    If I am feeling generous I might even drop a euro or two in the collection tin of your local acolyte LOL

6. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

My favourite meetings of the year a HQ double header. The great expectations of the summer ahead and the wind down of the jumps. Haven't had a proper look yet but the second race at Cheltenham looks a cracker, he owes a lot of us money but I think thomas crapper will oblige tomorrow .

Bustino74 likes this.
  7. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

River Frost!!!

8. floridaspearl

I beg to differ.

9. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I thought he was really eye catching at the festival. Can't believe he is so big.

10. floridaspearl

Nass, I just think crapper will thrive in a smaller field

11. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

River Frost and Thomas Crapper are in different races

SimonJ likes this.
  12. floridaspearl

Thanks smokey I'm just back from the pub, lazy posting on my behalf. Hopefully Nass has given me he double.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  13. floridaspearl

I've won a trophy, all I need now is a winner or two.

14. SimonJ

SimonJ Well-Known Member

Thomas Crapper and River Frost it is then! LOL, what a laugh.
    ( and new glasses for florida :emoticon-0105-wink: :emoticon-0126-nerd: )

Not bad for a Wednesday, not bad at all ... Newmarket, Cheltenham, a compo, what more do I need?
    **** All I need, I'll tell you, is for Lincoln City to hit a banana skin and the Mighty Rovers to win the last 2, then it's party time. :emoticon-0168-drink
    Of course, that looks a tad unlikely, since they were a goal down on Monday after 90 minutes and still won 2-1.
    They only need a point, we need the biggest slice of luck ever; they also have one extra game to play.

Ekbalco99 and Ste D like this.
  15. SimonJ

SimonJ Well-Known Member

Beverley 2.50
    Abu Dhabi Doo

:emoticon-0102-bigsm got to win!

16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

After the opening day of the Craven meeting, it would seem that the place to be looking is Godolphin owned horses (three of first four winners plus three places) and John Gosden trained horses (two winners and two places).

In recent times, the Free Handicap has not really been one of the key Classic trials; however, in an open year like this several of the contenders today could come into the 2000 Guineas picture with an impressive performance. What puts me off the Coolmore representative Whitecliffsofdover is that he is by War Front, notorious for juveniles that do not train on (remember Air Force Blue?), whilst favourite Sir Dancealot has a bad habit of blowing the start. Can I bring myself to decide between Rodaini and Gosden’s Seven Heavens? Both disappointed last time and have first time head gear.

Can either of the two Godolphin runners in the Earl of Sefton, Folkswood or Viren’s Army, translate their Meydan form to the colder clime of Newmarket?

The Nell Gwyn looks far too trappy with Andre Fabre’s once-raced raider Pamplemousse a complete unknown. Will Brave Anna or Roly Poly be fit enough first time out? They have the best form but I am more inclined to take a look at the Gosden/Dettori filly Daban at the prices.

So I cannot decide on any firm selections but I can see me stopping two of Gosden’s if they look the part...

17. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

After yesterdays 8/1 winner, which obviously nobody saw (reminds oneself to stop typing in invisible ink), todays offering is:

Iora Glas 4.25 Cheltenham.

This one is a horse, has four legs and a funny name.
    Also goes well on the ground and around this time of year.

Plenty of 14/1 around.

NassauBoard likes this.
  18. Sir Barney Chuckles

Morning, team. If my regular readers will allow it I’ll nominate 3.

I love CHIPPENHAM (I’ve a badge with those very words on in fact) and I also like the horse of the same name (3.25 Beverley). Boom boom. Current quotes of 4/1 appear more than fair for a horse who went very close, when runner-up, in a similar event last time (front pair 4.5 lengths clear of the 3rd home on that occasion).

I had hoped WIILIAM HENRY would have been steered in the direction of the ‘Coral Cup’ at the Cheltenham Festival but it was not to be. However, he should still oblige at the course this term by taking the card commencer this afternoon (2.05). Sure to be popular for the 11th richest man in Wales. Mr Henderson, the forum’s favourite trainer has won this heat twice in the past 4 years with such luminaries as Whisper and Might Bite!

Meanwhile, it’s great at Newmarket to see the old Charlton/Doyler partnership renewed with the unraced NATAVIA (4.45). There is a bit of a ‘word’ for this one at ‘county set’ level and current quotes of 7/1 look more than fair. The old girl is a half-sister to a Group 1 winner although you do have to take her fitness on trust. A huge positive on that score though is that 3 out of the barns last 4 runners have won. The potential is most deffo there though, pilgrims, re this one.

Good luck.

19. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Two small interests for me -

2.25- NEWMARKET- SEVEN HEAVENS- 3/1

Frankie and gosden seem to be on fire at the moment, he pulled far to hard in the dewhurst and chucked the race away- hood fitted on the first time should do the trick and as long as he settles he should be able to improve more than the others.

3.35- NEWMARKET- PAMPLEMOUSSE- 7/2

You have to take note when Fabre sends one over to hq - just watched her race this morning looked a very nice horse and although won with plenty on hand she looks typical Fabre group horse

20. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Lovely ground for a War Front.

floridaspearl likes this.