1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We win FA cup or england win world cup?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TBD, Feb 27, 2017.

1. TBD

TBD Active Member

I appreciate this may be a little sore given the very recent cup final loss. But yesterday really made realise how much winning a cup would mean to me (FA cup would be slightly sweeter but pretty much the same as the EFL cup).

So would you take an FA cup or england winning the world cup in your lifetime?

I think I would take the FA cup win, I only really care about England once every couple of years whereas saints are the side I think and care about every week. What do you guys think?

2. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Same Saints every time.

TBD likes this.
  3. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Before the atmosphere in the stadium yesterday I would have said England without hesitation. Now, I really don't know.

Both would be one of the best moments in my life but perhaps England has the edge because it would unite the entire country and you could celebrate with pretty much everyone you know rather than just saints fans.

VocalMinority likes this.
  4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

FA Cup 1000000000000000% Yesterday proved how much a Wembley final meant to the fans. To win the FA Cup at Wembley would be so special to me as I wasn't around in 76.

lamby likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Probably (not definitely) England for reasons MLsfc mentioned.

Change FA Cup to League title or EC however...

6. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

When i read the title for some reason i was expecting it to be about which was more likely to happen, only one answer to that question i think <laugh>.

I have to go with MLscf's reasoning. as well as the fact its once every 4 years. Between times though, an England match wouldn't get me out of bed. I prefer watching the England u21's these days.

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I watched England win the World Cup on TV when I was 12, shortly (3 weeks) before my Saints watching career began. Like MLsfc above, until yesterday I would have said a repeat of 1966 every time.

Now I am leaning heavily towards a repeat of 1976. It would mean so much more to Saints and their fans, and those are the people in football I care most about.

Lovearsenalcock and TBD like this.
  8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Good to see you posting <ok>

VocalMinority likes this.
  9. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Saints for me......being honest I struggle to watch the national team play now.

10. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

That Gabbiadini equaliser broke my oath of silence :emoticon-0102-bigsm.

BTW i'm a devout happy clapper, and yes the name was on purpose.
    I think it was you who asked that on the guests thread :emoticon-0105-wink:

Libby likes this.

11. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Saints every time. I will never forget the scenes when Gabbiadini equalised. The scenes after he equalised were phenomenal. Everyone cheering and waving their scarves.

I don't like England either, I haven't watched their games for a while now. I may watch again if Redmond gets a call up though, or James.

lamby likes this.
  12. Saint Elsewhere

Saint Elsewhere Well-Known Member

Saints winning for me. Couldn't give a monkeys about any other football.

13. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Besides, whenever I'm in a football mood and go on YouTube, I watch Saints goals. Never England. Couldn't give a toss about them.

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Saints are way overdue for a major cup win. We have a taste for it now and a manager who treats it with respect (his love of rotating notwithstanding). I know we didn't go all out in the FA Cup, but I accept that was because of the League Cup.

Forgot question....Saints first, though I would like England to do well, especially when the team is 50% Saints.

15. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

Normally it would be Saints every time but to have a national side that you could be proud of would be truly something. The trouble with England is that they've been rubbish for so long and most people turn to their club side for a sense of pride. England had genuinely world class players in 1966 and 1970 but very little to get excited about since. If we produced a team of that quality again (unlikely I know) then more people would put country before club.

16. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Saints or England? Hmmm... let me think :emoticon-0138-think :D

I've answered the question Saints or Wales before and I still stick to Wales because it would be a once in a lifetime win.

17. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time I cared about England, maybe Euro 96 when I was 8. Just never got the fuss about international football 11 players who usually play for teams you dislike, are players you dislike and you are supposed to suddenly support them? Never been able to do that personally so I watch international tournaments just out of a general interest in football rather than being bothered about who wins

18. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Well seeing as they already have and I saw it happen I'll take Saints every time. Then again I'd take Saints every time even if England hadn't won the WC in my lifetime.

19. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Like everyone else, Southampton winning a cup. Living in Spain, I am more interested in the fortunes of the Spanish national team than England. Seeing Walcott performing his headless chicken act, added to the pedestrian nature that England provide does little to inspire. Best sporting night though in British sporting history has to be that historic night at the Olympic Stadium in 2012 with Greg Rutherford, Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah getting gold in front of the very passionate crowd. That really did unify everybody in the United Kingdom, if only for a short time.

20. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

In 1990 England had a very good team and after an unspiring start won the hearts of many fans the length and breadth of the country.