1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Vs Crystal Palace (H)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zanjinho, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Red, even if we do get fourth from here (doubt it) I still think criticism has to be made on how we managed to go from comfortable second and nailed-on top four finish to this, when we knew the problems we faced ahead. This is a football team we support - it's not a branch of Papal infallibility or Stalin's Ten-Year Plan.

luvgonzo and carlthejackal like this.
  2. Style

Style 'where is the love'

You lot still have to be favourites ffs, look at the run in you have.

3. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I'd prefer to reserve criticism until top 4 is impossible. We all know the problems and what needs to be done.

4. Prince Knut

More presciently, we KNEW the problems and what NEEDED to be done back in January.

5. Prince Knut

That's the problem. I truly wish we still had City, Arsenal and Spurs to play. One or two of our big time Charlies might actually play better.

6. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

I think Donga has already answered these points :). Mane was seen a long time ago as key to our scoring. He would scare defenders and open up opportunities for others with his pace and movement. With him, we were the best attacking team in the premiership bar none. Without him (even before January) we were not scoring and we had draws rather than wins.

The irony of our situation is that if someone had said to us at the start of the season: After 34 matches LFC 66 points GD: 28+ Third and a run in we would have chosen ourselves, we would have thought that all our Xmases have arrived at one go. Yet, here we are, wondering whether from a high of first and unbeaten by any of the top 7 we are going to throw away the silver lining in this season's cloud of no trophies, no Europe, early elimination from the Cups by lack of planning. A team simpl;y cannot be managed on the basis of keeping our fingers crossed that we will have no injuries, no suspensions, no loss of form.

We are still favourites for top 4 because of a very favourable run in but let's not kid ourselves. If we miss out (no matter how many points we get) it has to be seen as a failure of a season comparable to any with Brendan and Klopp's first season.

7. moreinjuredthanowen

Agree right up to "the favorites for top 4"

that is gone now. Utd are favorites for sure.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  8. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Given our form is rather have your run in. We'd guarantee to get 9 points from city, Arsenal and Spurs <laugh>

We just need you and city to draw and you and arsenal to draw and you to lose b Spurs. That way we only neeed to win a couple of games to stay ahead of you, and hope Arsenal mess up a few more of their games.

9. Style

Style 'where is the love'

I can't see Arsenal making it now tho you never know.

I think you lot will make it with either us or city. I'm just hoping we can get past city Thursday.

Best result for you lot I guess would be a city win?

10. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

A city win would help with 4th but a draw would help with 3rd. Just said in our Watford thread, can't see you both winning all your other games which would need to happen for a draw on Thursday tonne bad result for us. I guess te bonus for us is, no matter what result there is a positive in it somewhere for us.

Ideal id like
    Draw
    City win
    United win

if both can get a few sent off in a 0-0 draw would be ideal <whistle>

11. moreinjuredthanowen

arsenal are out of 4th.. but can catch lfc if lfc are as bad as feared

LFc need to win 4 games and don't really look capable of winning 2 in a row without mane.

12. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

some kind soul "liked" this post i made on the 7th April (mouser watch thread) so bringing it back to my attention .
    an easier run for us would have been
    Arsenal , Spurs , Chelsea , Man City Everton Man Utd & someone else. In other words no one we are "expected" to beat as we won't
    :steam:

thing is i for one deffo meant it as imo we get careless then panic against "lesser" teams . We often end up with no structure at all and totally exposed this is partially a result of not having built a winning mentality and partially the system we play exacerbated by lack of pace in defence & CM.

13. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

With that scenario
    the mancs will end up with: 63+ 2 ( 2 draws and a defeat against top sides) +9 points (3 wins against bottom sides) = 74
    and LFC: 66 + 6= 72.

We also need them to draw or lose one of the games against the minnows or we have to win 3 not 2 of our games. It will interesting to see whether their unbeaten run continues. If it does and they go to current form, they may get 3 draws and 3 wins which is 12 points. That means we will need to get at least 9 points from 12.

All this is speculation. None of the predictions of most the pundits came to pass because almost no one expected the mancs to get 6 points out of their last 2 matches.

14. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Sky super computer had us 5th
    That looks like it is going to come to fruition :(
    If we do finish 5th where do we prioritise Europa
    ?

15. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

Maybe we were just unlucky to face a Palace side that have the perfect tools to beat sides who have the majority of possession and give them space to counter. Wins against Chelsea, Arsenal and ourselves suggest that credit should go to Palace for being effective against the bigger teams rather than everyone having a meltdown at the result.

16. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

Palace, however, have been a bogey for seasons: remember when we came 2nd 'cos we ****ed up against them.

At the end of the day we don't learn our lessons from the past. That's our trouble.

17. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

Why is it being assumed that Man Utd, who have drawn more home games than they have won this season, are going to walk their 2 home games against Palace and Swansea?

18. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Palace and Swansea? Come on, you'd have to be piss poor to lose to both of them at home.
    Ohh......
    <laugh>

19. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Because they're arseholes and that's what they do ...

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  20. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

Well I did one too and had us 4th by 2pts, and that includes us losing to Soton.

Its all opinion and in the case above how things are input. Can't predict these things, who know if a player or team will decide to turn up. The Prem has become so unpredictable.

Bumps likes this.