1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Video Technology in Football

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by smhbcfc, Mar 12, 2017.

1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

This story came up last week - what do you guys think?

Video technology could be used in English football for the first time in next season’s Community Shield, it can be revealed, as the game’s lawmakers stage their annual general meeting at Wembley.
    The International Football Association Board is scheduled to discuss approving live trials of video reviews in matches organised by the Football Association.
    That would include FA Cup ties, but any experiments could start with next season’s Wembley curtain raiser between the Premier League champions and cup holders

How would it work in practice? Would it only apply to top leagues in the World? (there is a cost here)

What decisions could / should be reviewed (and where on the pitch)

Who decides what to review - Should a coach have one challenge flag to use per half?

What's the criteria for changing the on-field decision?

2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

its likely that there would more than 1 challenge per half? I would think it would be per half as opposed to x number for the game otherwise come the last 10 mins or so a team could do its usual subbing and time wasting/breaking up momentum via getting rid of all its flags!

3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

This should have been brought in years ago.

To much riding on games today.

4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

One of the beauties of football is that it is the rules are the same for under fourteens to the adult pro game.

Video technology necessitates changes in the rules of the game.

I would prefer to see more emphasis on the FA's respect campaign and the FA's four corners. If both are followed as their intent refereeing decisions cease to be contentious, the referees decision should be accepted as final.

smhbcfc likes this.
  5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Mixed feelings of this. On the one hand I agree with Cliftonville, it can't be consistent throughout all the leagues, so turns it into a different game.
    On the other hand, it's important that things like offside 100% right etc. Could mean the difference between promotion or relegation worth the best part of £100mill+

6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

It is a widely used system in North American sport and varies from one to the other. One way is for a review panel to look at the call that was made by the on-field officials and only if they see clear indisputable evidence to the contrary will they overrule the refs call. I believe that all requests for video reviews have to come from the sidelines, in other words the questioning coaches, and the referee will voice the decision to the crowd via his microphone. The request is made by throwing a coloured flag in to the field of play to attract the referee before the next play which will keep the game going without the review. You must recognize that this system is currently working well in sports that are frequently interrupted by breaks for various reasons including player changes and the like, including breaks for TV ads. In some sports they have arbiters located at a national central location where they have all the tools and video replays to ensure that the right call is made for the interest of all parties including the supporters, where they can be called to review plays in all the games going on at the same time.

Quite how this could work in football is open for discussion but I think the most contentious of calls, which is goal or not, has been well handled and needs to be implemented throughout the entire Football League. Both teams could be given the chance to call for a review once per half and if the review finds in their favour then they do not lose the ability to call for another review later in the half but do lose the right for another call if their appeal is denied (just as in tennis). I want to see this nonsense of players surrounding the referee at every single call and if you run afoul of a referee over here then you risk your team incurring a penalty which will vary to suit each individual sport. To me the most difficult decisions to be made before this long overdue system is implemented is in which situations can it be requested for the referee/video reviewers to adjudge?

The system needs to be implemented without allowing things to disintegrate in to mayhem by players and managers disrupting the flow of the game with stupid unwarranted interruptions, because they are already very adept at doing that business. One of the key factors that I think needs to be addressed as soon as it happens is the nasty elbows out of sight of the officials as I have seen many instances this season where certain players should have been sent off during the game and only get punishment by an after match panel. Getting away with potentially dismissal game situations is a blight on the sport that perhaps video reviews would eliminate for ever.

Never an easy system to put in place, or for some to accept it's need, however it's time has come and I just hope whoever is in charge of it's birth does it right the first time and doesn't allow it to change football beyond our recognition.

7. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Football is about fluidity.

I'm in favour of goal line technology, but that's it.

Perhaps if players stopped cheating all the time, the refs would get more right?

Supcon72 likes this.
  8. Cliftonville

I am in favour of nothing that creates two tier rules but goal line technology is based on fact.

Even the offside rule is subjective to interpretation, many rules are subjective, even with scrutiny of the media there is a mass of doubt on TV.

What would be reviewed by technology, every decision, or just some? Leave it to the referees.

BCFCRob likes this.
  9. invermeremike

Although I blabbed on about some of merits but I am not a proponent of stop start games. Can you imagine having to spend up to 3 hours at Ashton Gate in the pouring rain while the folks at home are having another beer while the never ending ads and breaks in the game go on? Goal line technology alone for me but you know what could be.

10. oneforthebristolcity

Either you're on side or your not surely.....If there is interpretation by anyone then it should be reviewed. I hate all this, if a player is interfering with play..needs to be clear cut........That goes for handball too..For a sport so important, with some much at stake, it's a farce!

11. Cliftonville

It is not a farce. Referees have to interpret the rules. The rules and the use of deliberate handball for instance is subjective - The offside rule and interfering with an opponent or gaining an advantage again is subjective.

Virtually every decision could affect a result = All decisions should be reviewed.

Or leave the game to officials.

12. oneforthebristolcity

I think most "Football" people would welcome any technology that would improve the game and create the right decisions that referees miss.
    For me, it's easy, regarding Offside.....it either is or it's not....clear cut. if a player is anyway interfering with play he should be deemed offside. (crossing sight of keeper).
    Handball. If a player is unable at point blank range to get out of the way with his arms to the side of his body should be deemed accidental, If they're away from his body deliberate..Anything else it's handball....To me, it's not rocket science..

The problem I see, is the game is so fast nowadays, refs can't keep up.....often 4th officials are in the wrong place..

Like I said, I do have mixed feelings about it.....Maybe the technology should just be for the prem & championship where most is at stake..

13. invermeremike

Doesn't the handball rule state that the arm has to move to control the ball or in such a position that it was clearly there to stop the ball? Two things that have been added to the rules since I did the job was the ability to pay on and then call a foul back if no advantage was gained and of course goal line technology, because neither of them creates loss of time. Getting in to reviews could prove difficult and could be used to waste time and I wonder whether the sport would ever go the sin-bin situation because I think that could prove interesting. It has worked well in rugby by all acounts.

14. Cliftonville

Handball should be deliberate and distance between man and ball is a consideration. In theory this should mean there should be very few handball decisions at all.

What many people do not realise is just how lax refs can be at higher levels on certain aspects of play. Forwards rarely foul defenders but defenders always (!) foul forwards, pros frequently take foul throws, keepers do not release the ball fast enough ... Worthy of TV review?

People would abuse technology. Imagine a goal was given and Warnock gets a review for a decision he knew was incorrect several passages of play before, but he stored it just in case.

The delays in rugby feel endless ... Extra time in football could be fifteen minutes.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  15. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I watched the England Vs Scotland Six Nations game at the weekend, where even after a TV replay they still got a decison wrong on what was or wasn't a high tackle, even though it was obvious in normal time it was not a high tackle. Eventually and at least a minute later someone came on the mic and over-ruled the decision and to tell the ref it was only a penalty. Football cannot have that length of time-lag over a decison - it will kill the game.

It can only work for goal line clarity as that doesn't need to slow the game as much, as the game can continue while it's reviewed and the next time the balll goes out of play either award or dis-allow the goal and re-start with a Kick off, throw in etc., yes it's an unwelcome change to the game, but it's coming in some form as there is too much pressure out there now for it not to.

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Wheres the pressure for it?

Never heard a City fan go we need technology because Johnson was robbed a win there from three up!!!! Results are **** because he and Bristol City are. getter better get luckier. that's the game!!!

Watch tv pundits with their multiple views not agreeing with each other on game changing moments , that's an argument against it. it could make cheaating even worse where players with the right to go down bollocks go down when there was any contact of any sort at every opportunity then want a review to show their thigh was touched by an opponents shorts causing them to go down like a stone . Costa last night down, up, play act up, down, feign injury up repeat!!!

17. oneforthebristolcity

The pressure could be on a deciding last game of the season, where a clear offside could decide whether a team goes down or not..

18. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

could would. so there isn't any pressure!! only people who want this really is tv. another gimmic like the screens in cricket screaming OUT. tv pundits cant agree with four camera angles to watch!!! I can see the Man players around the ref over a video rerun for a throw in already,

whats needed is support of refs not undermining them. what happened to the clampdown on poor [player behaviour ??? lasted about until the end of august.

19. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Technology is all very well if it stops things like cheating i.e.diving, feigning injury, deliberate handball and such like.

But I wouldn't want to see every game held up for minutes at a time multiple times over during 90 minutes, whist referees or 4th officials study video evidence.

If this is used, I'd like to see a scheme whereby each team could only challenge a decision once per game at most.