1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Two places up for grabs ?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Mar 22, 2017.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I've been looking at the fixtures of the teams below The Gills, and [also] in danger of relegation. I tried to guess how many more points each team may get - to see how the final table might look. I think Coventry and Chesterfield are doomed - leaving two places up for grabs. ( ..... note to Gills - there is no rush to fill them !)

Please feel free to post your points prediction.

Gills Peterborough (h), MK Dons (a), Millwall (h), Bristol Rovers (h), Charlton (a), Fleetwood (h), Northampton (a). I reckon about 6-8 points giving us a total of 53 (maximum).

Shrewsbury Bolton (h), Bristol Rovers (a), Millwall (h), Rochdale (h), Walsall (h), Northampton (a), Southend (h), Oxford (a). I reckon about 8-10 points giving a total of 53.

Oldham Sheff Utd (a), Southend (a), Fleetwood (h), Bolton (h), Bristol Rovers (a), Rochdale (h), Wimbledon (a). I reckon about 7-9 points, giving a total of 53.

Port Vale MK Dons (h), Wimbledon (h), Chesterfield (a), Sheff Utd (h), Oxford (a), Bolton (h), Fleetwood (a). I reckon about 7-9 points, giving a total of 50

Swindon Millwall (h), Fleetwood (a), MK Dons (h), Wimbledon (h), Walsall (a), Scunthorpe (h),Charlton (a). I reckon about 10-12 points, giving a total of 48.

Coventry are 'already' relegated - but they might actually end up above Chesterfield. I think Coventry may get about 11-13 points, giving them a total of 40-42

Chesterfield are also all but relegated. They probably won't get more than about 6-8 more points ( total 41).

So my prediction of the 4 relegation places are Chesterfield, Coventry, Port Vale and Swindon. ....... The teams to just survive - all ending up on about 53 points are Gills, Shrewsbury & Oldham

So ------ Gills might just survive this season - but we need a massive clear out of some dispassionate players - and for Scally and the Board putting in some investment - Mr Scally please stop paying peanuts - I'm fed up of watching monkeys

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    gioblues likes this.
  2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

3. gioblues

I like you think we will get 7 more points so should just stay up. Be more positive if we win on Saturday. If we dont win could be playing Northampton to stay up. We won t be over achieving if we lose that one.<whistle>

4. alwaysright

The only ones that have overachieved this season are the fans

5. gioblues

looks like we will be playing Northampton to stay up. Oh dear.

6. brb

brb CR250

As i keep saying season after season <laugh> you need on average 51 - 53 points to stay in this league, and we currently only have 45 :)

7. alwaysright

Good news - we've gone up a place ( on goals scored ). .................... but it's going to be worse than squeaky bum time for the last 5 games.

I 've decided to bring Bury into the equation ( and after Charlton's loss at home to MK Dons, they're not exactly safe yet ).

Bury have 46 points and 5 to play, namely Bradford (h) Rochdale (h) Bolton (a) Northampton (a) Southend (a) . I don't think they'll get much more than about 4 or 5 points (if any), bringing then up to 50. This is the number that I think Gills, Oldham, Shrewsbury and Port Vale will get, making it a fight between 5 teams for 21st spot ( although Swindon might just make that 6 teams to share 21st & 22nd.)

consolation for Bury fans - if they go down to L2 - they've announced their prices for ST for next season.
    Adults pay £250(max). If they sell 3000 tickets, they get a cashback of £75, thus reducing the price to £ 175
    Over 65 and under 23 pay £ 125 and will also get cashback dependent on sales.

On top of that, in May there is to be a prize draw - where one STH will be refunded ALL their payment. Another one will be at half price.
    According to their Chairman the thinking around these ST prices is about "Real football & Real value" ............ but then I suppose he's not spending half his life at the High Court !

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  8. gioblues

Big big win today with other bottom teams not doing too well means 3 points from 3 games will see us safe. Hopefully away to Charlton on Monday we will do it.

9. brb

brb CR250

Must admit for the first time in a while I feel more confident, with as gioblues has said 3 points required.

10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Another good result today after the point against Millwall, so with 4 points from two tough games should Dack get straight back into the team ?

11. brb

brb CR250

Lol don't start me off on this one <laugh>

12. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Well we are going to have to get used to playing without him (Dacky) permanently any time soon.

13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I've seen it suggested that with 4 points from 6 in our last 2 games, the turnaround is all down to Malcom's return.

14. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

You boys are always welcome at the Valley, you know that..... I do like walking round your brightly coloured caravans and I now take some carrots to feed to your horses.... the grandkids have a great time.

Travel safe <ok>

<cheers>
    AllHell

brb likes this.
  15. alwaysright

Let's get a little serious -- I have no antagonise to disappoint brb - but - without the effort shown by McDonald against Bristol Rovers, Gills would have had virtually no chance of creating a goal.
    McDonald was, [again], starved of 'service' - and had to go chasing the ball. He worked tirelessly, ( even if at times it seemed a little aimless and pointless ). The first goal by McDonald, showed the ability he has - if only given some service. He has the 'natural' ability to beat a defender, (or two). if given half a chance. His second goal showed the composure, [on the ball], that Quigley lacked with his 'half chance' --- when Joe decided to shoot from what seemed like a position in Chatham rather than pass to Cornick who would have crossed the ball to Cody to put it into an empty net !
    McDonald always gives 100% - That's ALL I have ever asked ( win, lose or draw). Too many of the players have been guilty of 'under performing'. As for Dack - he has been really poor this season, and as for his professional attitude, ( stupid yellow [and red] cards ), does not put him anywhere 'near' McDonald.
    A fully committed Dack is a joy to watch. But when he, ( and the rest ) don't give 100%, ( or even 10%), you can leave him at home to eat his Easter eggs.

16. brb

brb CR250

alwaysright - I think sometimes people miss my point about Cody....And also his partnership with Dack.

To me it is not about how many goals each of these two score, but the value of those goals.

I've always openly said that Cody and Dack do not suit playing together. Again yesterday I feel my point was proven, exactly as it was two seasons back when Cody was the opposite number out injured.

I cannot argue with Cody's historic record for the Gills, but i merely state that Dack is my preferred choice. In exactly the same light that he was a sub at Norwich and Coventry.

For the record I'm not insulting the guy, I'm just saying my choices would be different and the proof in my recipe of choice is we are still JUST ABOUT a league one side.

So regardless of how many goals a player scores where are the club rewards other than saving us thankfully from relegation, which I will be in debted to Cody for.

Do I need to mention a certain Brian Yeo.

17. alwaysright

Just to cheer up brb Surely Port Vale are doomed !
    The Valiants have 4 fewer points than the Gills. Only 3 games left ; Oxford (away - today), Bolton (H) & Fleetwood (a). I can't see [m]any points from that lot.

That leaves one place 'up for grabs.' - I reckon Gills could lose all their remaining games - and still survive - with the difficulty of fixtures for the other relegation candidates - it's almost impossible for us to go down !! ( Yes, I was at Wycombe ).

18. brb

brb CR250

Must admit I was thinking the same last night, barring a Wycombe when the impossible became possible <shivers>

19. gioblues

Port vale play walsall on tuesday

20. alwaysright

I took the fixtures directly from Vale 'Official' site ( but I should know better than to trust 'official' sites ) !!