1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Townsend Deal

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

On the yellow SSN ticker a minute ago that we are happy to pay the £13m release clause.

Hopefully this means a permanent transfer. I guess Mike didn't want to pay the loan fee on top.

Hope this does come off.

2. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Townsend will make a huge difference if he joins. He will take the piss in this league. Exactly the creativity and pace we are after.

magpie290761 likes this.
  3. MattNUFC

MattNUFC Member

deal is off - confirmed by Sky Sports.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  4. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

Officially dead according to SSN <wah>

5. ilovetheno45

ilovetheno45 Member

Deal off .. if ever really on in the first place ??.

Questions are
    1. Did we (rafa etc, not the fans) want him
    2. Why wait till end of window to secure ?
    3. Did fat man stop it ?
    4,5,6,7and many many more will we ever know.
    Bottom line is we have what we have,get behind the lad's for the rest of the season and hopefully we will go up

6. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

****ing joke, less that we haven't signed Townsend, more we haven't signed anyone. Either riding it to see whether we go up, or being so cock-sure this team will get us up, both are recipes for commupance.
    If there is anything to underline the heirarchy's ineptitude vs. Benitez's footballing nous would be that Townsend came off the bench, few hours before the end of a whole window in which we had the opportunity to sign him, and set up palace's second goal

Henry Boy likes this.
  7. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Great news he left and we shouldn't go running back

We will still win the league and next window we can buy better players

Flash likes this.
  8. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

I can't help feel that this is a bad bit of news for Rafa personally that nothing has been secured.
    Nothing. What's going through his mind about the penny pinching ways of the club he's at?

It's not a new experience for us lot to be left feeling rather let down at transfer window time.

9. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

So deadline is over without a single signing. Looks like that line has come back again . Return to the bad old days ?

10. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Return to? So far fck all has changed, except we got relegated. On the face of it the lunatics still run the asylum.

11. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Greedy Mike strikes again. Rafa is supposed to have wanted Townsend back. Palace were supposed to be willing to sell him to us. It sounds like the player was willing to come back. We have the money. Even if we had shelled out the money and we didn't get promoted we could sell him and recoup the money at the end of the season, so there was no real financial risk. So what was the ****ing problem?

12. Captainchaos.

Guys in a few months we need the money for players good enough to play in the premiership

Stop moaning

Judge Death and LiamO like this.
  13. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Cant say I`m surprised. If we had really wanted to do a deal it would have been done early in the window. Chin up lads, we have a decent team and once Gayle is fit we should be back on song. If you cant get the players you want it pointless spunking money on dross.

14. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I think the actual reason here chaps is that Palace pulled the plug. SSN were set to announce the signing at 4pm yesterday but announced that the 'goal posts were moved' at the last minute.
    As Palace were the ones in the driving seat it stands to reason it was them.
    There's lots of folk on Twitter with their pitchforks out for Ashley without regard for the facts which is laughable.
    The fact remains, we are in the automatic promotion place, with effectively a 4 point gap from 3rd... plus 2 games in hand and games now starting to run out.
    Oh... and we have Rafa Benitez as manager............. KTF

Judge Death and Lord Jonjomort like this.
  15. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

We'll be fine, though I don't think we will pull ahead of the pack in the way we might have if we had brought in some new faces. I wouldn't be massively surprised if we go up in second place.

16. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Meh. In a few months we might not be promoted. Sorry but if you think this teams not another shelves suspension away from being able to create naff all again than I want whatever you're on.
    I keep the faith with Rafa but if we go up it will be in spite of Ashley & co. Wonder if we really did bid 18 mil on McCarthy

17. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

The biggest crime here is that we didn't get another creative CM in knowing how bad we are without Shelvey.

Ashley's reluctance to do anything in the January window (unless in a relegation scrap) is always going to hold us back. You have to constantly improve from a position of strength otherwise you end up going the other way. Anita being our only signing after finishing 5th is the best example of this.

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  18. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

I think gambling on promotion to the PL is too risky, although it looks like we could and probably should make automatic promotion, its not certain, with a couple of signings, we could have made it that little bit more favourable.

As Anita said, a Shelvey injury, matt Ritchie or even another Gayle set back could be catastrophic. All three and watch us implode.

Must win against QPR tonight anything but a win could be a massive set back mentally

19. Captainchaos.

We absolutely will mate I remember being lambasted for being negative, while I always maintained I was simply right.

RobEllious and G4rdToonArmy like this.
  20. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Is Siem back or was that a rumour?