1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham in the January transfer window

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Moorpheus19, Jan 1, 2012.

1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Bit of a cost cutting excercise in this window, leaving us with some "well it's better than nothing" signings.

2. No Kane No Gain

Don't agree with that. Cisse would've cost a fair bit more for a stop gap too.

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Let's be honest YV, it's been a totally **** window.

4. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Cisse was/is one of the biggest headless chickens I've ever seen, i cannot understand for the life of me how he gets a game, terrible player, at least Saha can finish. Nelsen i see only as a cheap bench merchant if we need him, Walker shows no sign of needing rest and he seems to be made of concrete, nothing to worry about for me.

5. No Kane No Gain

Definitely a poor window but if we get 3rd, it's irrelevent.

If we'd got rid of GDS and Bassong on permanent deals I'd make it an okay window. As it is we still need to get rid of them and Jenas, Bentley and Gomes in the summer.

6. notsosmartspur

I think this proves how poorly rated these players are, 3 TW windows and they're still here.

7. No Kane No Gain

True, we can't afford to keep these kind of flops like the other teams around us can. We're surely looking at another transfer window coming up where the departures are as important as the incoming :(

8. notsosmartspur

Its worrying no-one wants them YV, even struggling sides don't want them, looks like they'll be here till their bloody contracts run out, then they can just fuk off! Its such a waste of THFC's wage budget, I firmly believe thats why we've held back. Levy also has to make financial room for Mods new deal and possibly Ade.

9. No Kane No Gain

The lower clubs just keep trying to loan them. Remember how we got strung along by Sunderland over Hutton, they just took advantage of a free right back for awhile.

10. Patsbighands

Patsbighands Well-Known Member

Well it looks like this window was really about cutting the wage bill,getting a couple of players in where we needed cover and mostly loaning out as many as we could.The players going out were all unhappy not playing,so for me it's best to get rid.Saha could just be another masterstroke from Harry,he's in his 30's will have cost a packet of crisps and I'm sure his wages aren't high.The last two(Gallas,Parker) 30+ players haven't been bad.
    Also Pav going frees up more money.Looks like a time to just keep our best players and buy in the summer.None of this will effect our main starters and will help pay the higher wages needed to keep our stars.

11. notsosmartspur

Quite right Pat, we've been trying to dump the wage draining dross for over a year now, till that changes, I don't see what we can do. We are getting there slowly with Pav gone, look at the loss on him though, must have been a bad bust up and Harry's told Levy 'just get im out of ere!'

12. Patsbighands

Patsbighands Well-Known Member

Yep Notso sometimes you just have to take a loss,although as you say it must have been bad for Levy to let him go for so little.

13. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

I've updated the front page with last night's dealings - if I've forgotten anything or gotten anything wrong, please let me know (I'm unsure on the deals we pulled for Saha and Nelson in terms of loan/permanent deal etc and also any fee for Saha).

---------------------

I'm still trying to comprehend what happened last night - I'm pleased Pav has gone (1 of the deadweight) and for a reasonable fee if the £7.5-8m is to be believed.

Loaning Bassong is a bit of a risk as he seemed to be a bit more solid in the last few games and I don't view Nelson (who is 34 and always injured) as a viable replacement.

Saha in seems OK purely as a replacement for Pav but again he has constant injury problems and his goal-to-game record this season is dire beyond belief.

Pienaar to Everton - OK fine, he was getting frustrated here but we lost a decent midfielder (albeit on loan) with no replacement - if Krasic had come in as a replacement then this would've been alright I guess.

Overall it was a terrible transfer window BUT - we kept Defoe and all of our big names and at least those we signed appear to be cheap as chips. A lot of the youngsters have got decent loans too.

I was really annoyed at about 11:30pm when all the news was filtering through however, I read the rumour about Levy not wanting to spend with Harry possibly leaving in the Summer and suddenly it all made sense. Why buy Damiao or whoever for £Xm if NEW MANAGER comes in and doesn't get on with him?

It's a HUGE risk though - our poor business this window (in terms of quality in) could potentially mean we don't get 4th, let alone 3rd (if injuries pile up). If we can still get 3rd/4th though then the wage reduction/Harry leaving risk will probably have been worth it.

14. notsosmartspur

Moorpheus, we're fine in MF, aside from our first 4, we have Niko, Livermore, Sandro and Hudds on the way back, Pienaar was abit of a mistake imo.

Saha's dire record is as much due to dire Everton. Out of interest, Harry raised eyebrows signing over the hill Kanu at Pompey....kept them up and won them the FA Cup! <whistle>

I don't think Nelsen is specifically brought in for Seb as CB cover, he is versatile and has played RB for B'burn, as Kaboul has for us.

These two are injury prone, but we're not asking for 2 games a week from them.

<ok>

15. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I was right about Pav looking east and dreaming of caviar..........now he will be playing for the choo choo boys!

16. bigsmithy9

Oh!Thank's Pav for some memorable goals,but no thanks for being a lazy so and so!

17. Moorpheus19

Goodbye first ever stickied thread *sniff*

Hope I kept the forum a little less clogged :D

I'll make another one in the Summer :D

18. bigsmithy9

I think he may still not get a game yet.Don't they have a winter break?

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Bassong went because, according to 'Arry, his head was down. If so, Wolves fans hope he soon cheers up...

20. Moorpheus19