1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v. Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    Tottenham Hotspur v. Swansea City

Venue - White Hart Lane
    Date - 3 December 2016
    Kick off - 15.00

Following their crazy and almost unbelievable 5-4 home victory over Crystal Palace - only the second time that the Swans have scored 5 goals in a PL match - Bob Bradley's team travel to White Hart Lane to take on Tottenham Hotspur.

Spurs ended a miserable week - a week that saw them failing to progress from the Group Stages of the Champions League - losing for the first time in the PL this season, going down 2-1 away to table topping Chelsea.

Stamford Bridge is not a happy hunting ground for Spurs - they haven't won there since the weekend in February 1990, when Nelson Mandela was released from prison and James 'Buster' Douglas beat Mike Tyson.

Swansea and Spurs have played each other on 41 occasions, with the Swans winning 8, Spurs 25 and 8 draws.

In the corresponding fixture last season, Spurs came from behind to record a 2-1 victory.

Alberto Paloschi gave the visitors the lead after Angel Rangel's shot fell to him via team-mate Jack Cork.

Swansea goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski made a series of superb saves, before Nacer Chadli deflected in Kyle Walker's shot to equalise with 20 minutes left.

Danny Rose then drove in the winner after Swansea failed to clear a corner.

If the Swans defend like they did against Palace, Spurs could run riot and score 4 or 5. If, however, the Swans can put in a defensive display similar to the match at Everton, they may sneak a point.

However, I think that Spurs will win 3-0....., In many respects, the Sunderland match 7 days later is more important...

DragonPhilljack and LIBERTARIAN like this.
  2. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Ring the changes for this game a little.

I'd go 4-4-2 with Baston and Llorente up front and rest Gylfi for the Sunderland game which is far, far more important.

2-0 Spurs.

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Baston walked passed us 2 or 3 times yesterday - looked fit, so why not on the bench? Rumours of loaning him to Valencia true?

I think there is more chance of Bob selecting a 4-6-0 formation .....

4. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I don't understand why we aren't playing him. He's going down as our biggest flop ever, and yet, we haven't given him a chance, and when he does play, Gylfi is on the wing.

There must be something else at hand. Lack of effort in training? Bad attitude? Or is Bob really this clueless?

swan_and_only and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  5. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Going by our defending yesterday.....4-0 Spurs.

6. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Llorente should start after bagging two late goals yesterday.
    Strikers thrive on scoring, and it becomes a habit, so never a better chance to play him early, rather than as a late sub.
    He'll be up for it, I'm sure.

7. JackPA26

JackPA26 Active Member

I think its a tricky one. I can see why he's playing Gylfi up front; he works extremely hard closing down the opposition, provides a moving target for attack and as a result can create space for others to play in. Maybe BB can figure out how to play them both without dropping Gylfi too deep.

The way I see it, I believe we will get to 18-19 points by Jan and will be in 15th/16th. Other teams around us have some tougher fixtures so we need to kick on and move out of the bottom three. Then come Jan we need to strengthen and an experienced central defender / leader is a must as I agree our defense yesterday was shocking at times. That said, credit to the team for showing the fight and belief to grab the 3 points. Hopefully a turning point for us<cheers>

8. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Our defending was pathetic yesterday, but the same back 4 did well at Everton. I am staying confident we will get another creditable 1-1.

9. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I think we'll scrape a draw. Tottenham are in poor form by their standards, similar to Everton last week.

I think we need to keep things simple for this one.

Fab
    Naught, Hoorn, Amat, Kingsley
    Cork, Fer
    Barrow, Siggy, Montero
    Llorente

Siggy's work-rate is best suited when he's linking midfield up with attack. Use our pace out wide for a solid target man in Llorente. Montero and Barrow would scare any defenders. Then if we need to see a game out swap one wide man with Routs instead of putting an extra defender on. Britton for Fer when he starts to get leggy to consolidate the middle.

I know it's not as simple as that but it's a strategy that can fit most of our games so far this season.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  10. LIBERTARIAN

Is it time to rest Fabianski and give Nordfeldt a chance ?

11. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Keepers don't usually need to be rested like outfield players unless mentally he needs to sit a few games out.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  12. LIBERTARIAN

By rested, I mean left out, i.e. dropped.

13. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I am not sure about fer defensively, he doesn't have the will to get back and work hard defensively, going forward he will put it in but lazy in defence, I would go with Fulton instead, puts a shift in defensively. Apart from that I agree with your team.

That is a tricky one as Fab has looked a little dodgy of late, but to be honest what I have seen of Nordfeldt I don't rate him, flaps at crosses and doesn't command his box at all at all ok for cup games but not good enough for the PL for me. So I think we have to stay with Fab at the moment

14. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

We'll sell Gylfi to fund this transfer. There's a thought <yikes>

<sorry>

15. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

It was obvious yesterday that Fulton is playing as a defensive midfielder having said that he put in the pass of the game to feed Barrow so he must play. Naughton and Gylfi must play against their old club so it's between Fer and Cork. Fer really is only a bit of a liability when he defends as an attacking midfielder he does put in a shift I also think we need pace to counterattack and a bit of nowhow up front So my team if we play with no fear:-
    Fab
    Naughton VDH Amat Kingsley
    Siggy Fulton Fer
    Barrow Llorente Montero

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    DragonPhilljack likes this.
  16. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

I'm good with sugarman's line up .....2-1 swans... Llorente , Siggy and Fer in pure attack for this one ...these guys can drag us across the line if given most minutes IMO

17. seabreeze

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....left the computer at 88 minutes mad as a hornets nest ........hahahaha....massive , massive come back in the big picture...oops , wrong thread BUT ....I don't care ...WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  18. seabreeze

The Spurs will be our first big scalp of the season IMO . VDH must start starting more games , I believe he will be our next Williams .And we must ride Llorente hard and put him to bed wet for the better part of the remainder of games . Baston can sub ( don't want him loaned out ) and start the odd game in preparation of him being our #1 striker next season .

19. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

We always lose at Spurs and to be honest I can't see that changing on Saturday. If Bob gets us a point at White Hart Lane I'll take my hat off to him.

20. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I don't want to see Fernandez or Taylor in the starting line up for this game, if Bob plays them, we will simply get smashed to bits, they have to be dropped they are a hapless couple!.................................<ok>

I'll be very happy with a draw!!.........<laugh>