1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 9, 2016.

1. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Just got back from 0T and got the hump big time. The sooner this clueless control freak is given the boot, the better we will be.

Another tedious display based on sideways passing, minimum 3 touch before releasing, "safe" football, got what it deserved today, sweet nothing.

Thanks Pochettino. I can't express how much you do my head in.

2. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

It really isn't that simple: or did you all know that playing Marcus Alonso and Moses as wing backs would give Chelsea a 9 match winning streak?

We have no chance of catching the moneybags clubs by doing the normal things.

3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

True, we didn't all know that. But we did all know that Conte is a good manager. And good managers find a way out of the trenches. Quickly. I was heartened by Poch's change of formation and tactics for the arsenal game in which a vastly understrength side outplayed them on their own patch, but notwithstanding that game, our manager has displayed the tactical nuance of a damp flannel.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I haven't referenced anything about not being able to afford players though mate, if you see I posted literally one or two spots above your current one in which I respond to Power about affordability and attainability.

With the exception of the obvious few, we can probably afford 95% of the world's players, the problem is actually persuading these stars to join us. Isco and Draxler seem like players who could be let go by their clubs if acceptable bids are made but the problem we'd face is players like that will have a vast amount of admirers, if we went in for them then so would sides like Arsenal, Chelsea and probably City, realistically they're more appealing to players than us and so the odds would always be stacked against us.
    That's why I said we could really do with a player who no one was really willing to take a punt on due to the lack of reputation or supposed raw ability but they instantly become a hit, like a Modric/ Berbatov type... But that is obviously like finding a needle in a hay stack.

I completely agree about GK though, it's one proper gripe I have with Poch at the moment. Why buy the kid only to sparingly use him? What's been worse is that his last few cameos have been massively impressive, so why on earth has he not been given a start or at least more game time instead of the odd 10-15 minutes every two-three games? It's not making much sense to me. GK probably can actually challenge for a role as well, despite being young he's no mug, he became a key player in a decent Marseille team in just one season. Baring in mind the form of Alli and Eriksen plus the inconsistency of Son, theoretically there should be openings for a chance to play but for one reason or another Poch just doesn't trust him, even though most of the fans feel like his speed would create a new dimension or at the very least a short term alternative.

Roo likes this.
  5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah let's sack the manager, that's always worked well for us over the past 10-15 years.

6. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Point taken, but let's face it, this guy is so out of his depth it is embarrassing.

7. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Agreed mate.
    (As for the top part of your post, i wasn't referring to anything you'd said personally. Sorry for not making that clear. It was just a point I was making based on what I'm reading from fans in general. <ok>

Dier Hard likes this.
  8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I see your 10-15 years and raise to 25 yrs (since we sack Venables).

Dier Hard likes this.
  9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Looks more like a man who knows he will get fed whatever he does.
    I want them to have the fear of dying of starvation if they do not put a shift in.

10. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

This is the bigger problem. We're not in a position to attract the top managers, and haven't been for decades. We either get lucky with appointments who by every conceivable measure should be 'out of their depth' (BMJ, Harry), or we just get what we paid for (Ramos, AVB). The likes of Conte, Klopp, Ancelotti etc. are never going to join Spurs - not this side of the new stadium in any event. Who do you propose we theoretically replace Poch with? Eddie Howe? There is every possibility he would also turn out to be out of his depth. I have beaten this drum so many times I could join a marching band, but surely the more sensible and realistic solution is for our 'out of his depth' manager to surround himself on the training ground with 'in their depth' players, those who have been there, done it, got the medal?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I wouldn't say that mate.

He makes questionable subs don't get me wrong and he does seem too stubborn at times due to the reluctance of not playing certain players, while persisting with those who don't always deserve to be on the pitch for 90 minutes but I personally feel we've witnessed three seasons of growth under him. We've hit a blip this season but I'd largely put that down to the amount of injuries, it's massively disrupted the flow of things, I sound a broken record saying this but 8 of last season's first team have missed games this season through injury, I don't think any other side has had to deal with a problem like this. Though to counter the negatives he's created a young squad with massive talent and huge potential, all of the players seem really keen to be here which hasn't always been the case under previous managers and with most of this season aside we've generally been brilliant to watch under Poch, at times almost as good as Harry's side.

Today was the first game this season we've fielded arguably our strongest XI (Lamela aside), while it was far from a great performance I'd like to think it's now a platform to build upon. The sheer fact all of us are massively pissed off and disappointed about a 1-0 loss to Manchester United at Old Trafford having played well below our usual levels is surely a sign of our improvement? (Granted Utd have gone downhill post Fergie but they're still Utd and have still spent ridiculous amounts on world class talent).

Both of our losses in the Prem this season have been against fellow top 4/ title hopefuls away from home and in both games it's been a sloppy mistake in the centre of the park that's resulted in a quick, swift counter that punished us.

PowerSpurs likes this.
  12. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

So out of his depth that he got us to our best league position for years. Remember that Ferguson got nothing for four years. Patience pays off and I think we should back him as he is the best manager we are likely to be able to have for the next four or five years.

13. remembercolinlee

I have been unimpressed with a lot of our football this season. It so slow and one dimensional.
    I have never wanted a manager sacked until AVB (not even Gross or Ramos).
    The reason is best summed up with two words.
    Keith Burkinshaw

We have a manager who can either stagnate or become a very good manager.
    He (in my honest opinion) needs to be given at least anther 3 years to build and develop a team that we all hope to have.

14. PowerSpurs

Out of interest, during your career/life have you worked better with people who shouted at you or with people who cajoled/trusted you?

15. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

No press , no zipp , no movement, no creativity. We have
    lacked pace for a few years but what has happened to the others . This season the essence of our play has almost vanished. Without the tatical foundation of last season we
    look bang average.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'd honestly say Poch is a top manager. He doesn't have a trophy laden CV like some of the more glamorous names but he's managed to get all three of the teams he's managed their highest league finishes (well ours in Premier League terms anyway), that should never be disregarded and is an incredible achievement, he's also done this for the most part by playing good football.

As for listing Eddie Howe as a possible replacement, no way in my opinion, he's nowhere near Poch's level yet. A very good young manager don't get me wrong but he's only managed two sides and one of those he done poorly with. IF Pochettino was to go in a few years time then I'd be open to the possibility of Howe getting the job but if I was given the choice right now of Poch or Howe, I'd choose Poch 100 times out of 100.

If I'm honest, all of the managers that I'd deem better than Poch are already at clubs they wouldn't leave in favour for Spurs (unless I've forgotten someone blatant who's currently unemployed). I think we have an exceptional young manager, he definitely has his flaws - I realise this as much as the next guy - but he's still up there and we'd do incredible to find someone better.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  17. PowerSpurs

As SoS says we have been missing loads of players this season. I think that has made Poch too cautious but he will learn. As RWAEB says our 'best xi' is arguably the best balanced team in the PL. We managed to acquire it for less than £100m! That is absolutely amazing when you consider that the other squad members cost more than that. It's all very well saying we could have bought better than we have but you have to take the rough with the smooth on these things. Spending around £200m in total and ending up with the squad we have got can hardly be bettered. Look at the big five and see who we could have had for £200m. Pogba, Ozil, Sanchez, Luiz and de Bruyne would use the whole budget....

remembercolinlee likes this.
  18. remembercolinlee

Whatever mistakes he makes we need to give him time...otherwise someone else will benefit from him learning these valuable lessons.
    The last 2 seasons (particularly last season) means he has earned the patience we should be showing him.

19. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

This is it. When we've got rid of a manager who has had some degree of success - BMJ and Harry- we've employed a couple of blokes who haven't cut it and have been gone pretty soon after. Mauricio Pochettino was originally employed on a 5 year contract because Levy knew we needed someone to build something and he wouldn't have vast sums of money [relatively] to do it due to the stadium costs.

We've seen significant progress up to this season and the very end of last. This season has been disappointing but Leicester and the Spammers show what can happen. We've not seen that kind of collapse and neither of them have sacked their managers. MP needs our support not us turning on him. Come on, we all know Levy would **** it up and appoint another Ramos or LVG. A win on Wednesday and we go again.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  20. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

You ever been in a room with 100s of employees of your client (an MNC) ,
    where a head honcho has given the troops an absolute bo****king because
    they are sick and tired of being woken in the small hours (local time) by a
    customer who has paid millions for a product whose quality is unacceptably
    poor to them ??

Or should he have just given them hugs, told them of the 'need to 'focus on
    looking forward' etc ??