1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, May 17, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Shakespeare fuming:

Pochettino fair:

2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Leicester gave up in the latter stages, but it was still a phenomenal performance by Spurs.
    Ruthless in front of goal, but solid at the back.
    The downside for you guys must be that this level of performance and results hasn't been enough to win the PL - it many seasons it would have been enough (with something to spare). Had the step up come last January, rather than this, it would have been far too good for Leicester.

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Sad that the end product has not resulted in a PL title any of the past
    two seasons, but 1. that is life 2. classic "echoes of glory" this season.

To be the last team to fall to the eventual champions two seasons running
    and only at week 36 is great. To have such a material improvement in
    performance over 2015-16 is great.

Wembley as the home arena will be a challenge, but if the last two seasons
    have taught us anything, Pochettino and the team will be working hard over
    the summer to address what they consider to be the key issues.

Until then, let us enjoy a summer of haters attempting an industrial
    dismantling of the current squad.

4. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Does Deli Ali (I'll get it right one day if that's wrong!) really want to leave already,or is someone showing him figures somewhere else?
    With the PL and CL "worth millions" so I keep reading,why can't our players get a big pay raise to keep them at the New White Hart Lane?....or are the owners putting profits into their own pockets?

This is why we never did much from 1923 until 1949.......our board didn't like to spend money on new players......while other teams did and won trophies!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Apparently we spent over 60% of our income on wages. So doubling the wages of the squad would mean spending 120% of our income.
    That is only sustainable by selling the players we don't want and putting all that money towards the players wages and not buying any other players (which we need if we are to continue to develop) or risk doing a Leeds, Southampton, Leicester, Palace, Sheffield Wednesday, Coventry and bankrupt ourselves, nearly fold and drop into league 1 or 2. So that can not happen.

If players think that they want/ need or deserve to double their £60-70,000 per week salary rather than stay at spurs then they are simply greedy.
    Going to City and United would be purely a financial decision and I do not want the future of our club risked for the greed of a few.
    I have no idea about the truth of the claims about Rose, Dier, and Walker wanting to leave cos they have been offered double what they are on.
    IF true (I genuinely hope it's not) then the player should told they aint being sold as they are on a contract which they signed 6 months ago and are part of the clubs plans.
    If they kick off they should be told that next summer is a world cup year and so they should get their head down and play or they will be out of the team for the season and their world cup hopes will go down the toilet.
    Dier was made by Pochettino playing him in midfield, Danny Rose says himself that listening to Pochettino and doing as he demanded made him an England international and Walker has gone from being decent but accident prone to a truely great player.
    Last night shows how insane wanting to leave this team is. I don't expect or hope for loyalty from players anymore but I do expect them to want to play for a team that is seriously challenging for the title.

My gut feeling is that the media are being fed stories by United and City rather than by the players representatives so for now I am trusting that we aint got a team of mercenaries.

6. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with the vast majority of that, mate. But, unfortunately, there will always be one or two greedy ****ers.

We need to win something....

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

8. remembercolinlee

Sometime ago Rose was on Sky on the Saturday morning show with Helen Chamberlain. He spoke about when Pochettino first arrived at spurs he met with Rose and asked if he wanted to play for England and Rose said yes. He then told Rose that if he did as asked he'd succeed and Rose said he developed a strong bond with Pochettino as a result. He said that he would sit in his office most days talking about football and life for an hour or so.
    Dier is supposed to be very close to Dele and is supposd to have a strong relationship with Pochettino too.
    Walker is supposed to have the hump over being dropped for the semi final v chelsea but for all of the media talk last July, August and September all of them and the rest of our players and manager signed new contracts.

Fair enough that you think that they are all mercenaries who want to leave for purely money reasons when they are ALL MULTI MILLIONAIRES already.

Like I said ... it is purely a gut instinct or wishful thinking but if you are at a club which has the potential to do something special and make you a legend there why would you leave? They are all young so can afford to give it a year or two. It could well be just my bias but it seems to me that City and United are desperate to get their hands on our players and the press love to run stories as facts when they are anything but.

Last season Pochettino was going to United. This season to Barcelona...when he rubbished that it was to Inter unitl he rubbished that.

2 years ago and a year ago it was Kane to United...and Lloris too.

So far this season it's been Rose, Walker, Toby, Kane, Dele, Lloris, Eriksen, Vorm, Trippier and Davies have all been leaving us according to the media.

I have no idea why our players are so often wrongly said to be leaving us but media bollocks seems more plausible than all our players being mercenaries not wanting to stay with a club which is seriously challenging for the title unlike the clubs that these players are supposed to be desperate to join.
    I am doing you the courtesy of a sensible answer so excuse the length of ghe response.

9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That's a lovely story but what has it got to do with my laughing at the paranoia that City and United are telling the press what to print?

10. remembercolinlee

I actually said they (the press) are being fed stories (by City and United) which is not the same as the clubs telling the press what to print. If you wish to take issue with what I write then use my words instead of making rubbish up and if you want to WUM go elsewhere mate.

Citizen Kane likes this.

11. remembercolinlee

12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I heard this stat too..it's been hurting me subconsciously all day

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

No no no DGC...we need to make sure Kane bags that Golden boot.

crackerman jack likes this.
  14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Why would they feed the press stories then? (sorry if I phrased it wrong)

Think about the outcome for them both if they "feed" these kind of things to the press......

Big headlines..........Walker/Dier/Rose reject/snub City/United

You are just not used to many of your players being good enough to be linked with top clubs, if you continue as you are you will need to get used to it otherwise the paranoia (which was a joke) will really get you.
    If we wanted to tap a player of yours through the press I could see it being Kane or maybe Dele, if City wanted one I could see it being Toby or Jan (Lloris if they had any sense). Other than that they would go elsewhere and try to get better.

Tinfoil hats at the ready lads :emoticon-0100-smile

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

So basically even when the winning points total has been much lower you have still bottled it?

16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Another big up to Sonny boy...he's a fackin joy to watch ain't he? Like a kid in a playground...his weak games are decreasing. I hope he is with us for a long time.

Oh and Diego wumming

please log in to view this image

17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Where have I wummed :huh:

18. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

In the same place Dunn executed a perfect Rabona, in the head :emoticon-0181-fubar

19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

You will know when I am wumming, I will be taking the piss not pointing out strange trains of thought <ok> :grin:

20. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

No.

Another side, with far more resources has achieved more points than us. They have 90 now.

We've bottled nothing. Now why don't you do one and bore somebody else?

Oh, are you lot going to give us all another 'how to spend £300 mill and finish 6th lesson'. We thought this last one was hilarious!...<laugh>