1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v AFC Sunderland

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Jan 29, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Tuesday 31st January 7.45pm
    Premier League
    Stadium of Light​

We somehow managed to scrape past Wycombe and we kept our unbeaten run intact.
    It's now up to nine games, but our performance wasn't up to scratch and we'll need to be better to win this.
    It'll be a very different side, of course, as we reinstate a large number of players.

Sunderland's form has been pretty poor recently, as they've missed various players.
    The African Nations Cup and a variety of bans and injuries have really cost them.
    They've dropped to the bottom of the table, though they're still very much in touch.
    We should take their draw with Liverpool as a warning against complacency, though.

Here are the highlights of their recent FA Cup 3rd round loss to Burnley:

Our trip to the Stadium of Light last season was a hard-fought, narrow victory.
    Ryan Mason's goal was the only one of the game and it came late on.
    It was our first win of the campaign and we've pushed on from there, really.
    Here are his touches during this game, as I'd love us to win this for him, following his head injury:

The game at the Lane earlier in the season had the same scoreline, but was a very different game.
    Kane's goal was the difference, though Pickford's performance prevented it being much more of a gap.
    The goalscorer went off with an injury late on and it really slowed us down for a while.

We have no suspensions for this one, but Vertonghen, Lamela and Trippier are all out injured.
    Various other players missed out against Wycombe, but are expected back for this one.
    Sunderland have Djilobodji suspended and a host of injury issues.
    They're also waiting on the return of a number of African Nations participants.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Dier, Alderweireld, Wimmer; Walker, Wanyama, Dembele, Rose; Eriksen, Alli; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Carter-Vickers, Trippier, Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Son.
    League form: WWWWWD.

Sunderland: Mannone; Denayer, O'Shea, Djilobodji; Jones, Larsson, Rodwell, Van Aanholt; Janusaj, Honeyman; Defoe.
    Subs: Mika, Love, E. Robson, T. Robson, Embleton, Anichebe, Borini.
    League form: WLLDLL.

Referee: Lee Mason.

TV: Not televised.

Did anyone do well enough against Wycombe to keep their place or badly enough to lose it?
    Should we return to three centre-backs and if so, should we use Wimmer or Davies?
    If not, who should be introduced? Son? Winks? Sissoko?

Spurf likes this.
  2. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

3. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Another must win game, especially with Liverpool and Chelsea playing one another, which'll see points dropped in one way or another.

This should be the sort of game that we should win comfortably, but I have a nasty feeling Defoe is gonna haunt us, and we have a habit of not capitalising on opportunities to gain ground! <laugh>

Interesting that there's loads of fixtures being played on deadline day.
    Perhaps this'll mean that we'll see quite a bit of normal deadline day business completed tomorrow. <ok>

4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Too quick for me:sad:

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Obvious statement but must win this, will no doubt be up against a Defoe intent on proving himself but we have enough about us to do serious damage.

Wimmer's form and Jan's injury means I'd prefer us to go back to a 4-2-3-1 formation, especially as Son can't stop scoring lately.

Hugo
    Walker, Toby, Dier, Rose
    Wanyama, Dembele
    Son, Eriksen, Alli
    Kane

Vorm, Davies, Wimmer, Winks, Sissoko, Onomah, Janssen

COYS!

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

We all know what's going to happen...can we not just wake up and it be next Saturday so we wake up and Defoes last minute winner no longer feels like a dagger through our hearts?

7. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I'm uneasy with Dier at CB. Hasn't been at his best all season and I am convinced that DM is now his strongest position. Problem is that Vic has been even better there. One way or another, Jan is out for a good 5-6 more weeks, and we need Wimmer brought up to speed asap. I'd play the same team that flattered to deceive against City, only this time have someone check the contents of Hugo's water bottle at half time.

Hugo
    Dier Toby Wimmer
    Walker Wanyama Dembele Rose
    Alli Eriksen
    Kane

Spurf likes this.
  8. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I think you'll win about 5-1 tomorrow night. We are all over the place and the last 5 games have all been at least a 2 goal defeat.

We are missing Pickford, Djilobodji, Gooch, Watmore, Khazri, Cattermole, McNair, Kirchhoff and probably more that I can't think of. Our performances have been poor and we look like a team without a plan.

Kane has never scored at the SOL. Expect him to get 3 tomorrow night.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  9. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Why does this post make me feel more anxious, rather than reassure me?

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  10. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

We have just sold PVA to Palace and Djilobodji is banned for 4 games.
    Can you play the same team from Saturday - please <laugh>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.

11. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

What do you think about the selling of Van Aanholt to Palace. Looks bizarre to me to improve a rival and weaken yourselves.

12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I'm hoping Sunderland pull through, I'd rather laugh at Leicester, so I wish them luck after tomorrow.

13. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Not happy that we don't have a replacement yet - he has scored a few goals for us but he is a liability at the back.
    Can we have Danny Danny Rose back <laugh><laugh>

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He's definitely had a few dodgy moments but in general I think he's been pretty solid at CB, providing he's partnered with Toby, I think he'll be fine. Besides, Son's been in to good of form to continue keeping benched in my opinion, he's constantly popping up with goals and his heroics on Saturday should result in him keeping his spot. I want Kev to get back up to scratch but he looks a shadow of the guy from last season, woeful against City but somewhat understandable as he'd barely featured prior to that plus he was up against a City side with a point to prove but he was just as bad, if not worse against Wycombe which just can't be excused. I don't think it's right to "reward" (if that's the right word) Wimmer for poor displays over Son who's been in great goal scoring form for most of the season, must be in double figures now surely?

15. Citizen Kane

I still tend to see Son as strictly an 'impact player'. His best contributions tend to be when he comes on for the last 20 minutes of a game. When he starts, his lack of footballing intelligence makes it hard for him to 'own' a game.

I also think that 3 at the back is ideal against teams like Sunderland, who will pack the defence and crowd the central areas, hoping to hit us on the counter. Getting Danny and Kyle behind their lines will be essential.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'd say he's made impacts both from the off and from the bench, he got goals against Stoke, Boro, Swansea and CSKA in games he started, Wycombe and Villa too, plus he got the assist for Alli's goal against City at home. He's been great off the bench also, especially the West Ham, Southampton and City matches but I think he's really stepped up this season and is someone I'd happily see start games. He's the only attacking midfielder (well, GKN too but he's seemingly out the picture) we have with speed which I think can be vital in breaking down stubborn sides.

Danny and Kyle will get behind their lines regardless of formation, we could play a formation with just them two at the back and they'd still end up in opposition halves <laugh>. But seriously speaking I think as long as we have Wanyama in the side, who sits back brilliantly to cover, Kyle and Danny will always bomb forward, it's somewhat in their DNA now to do so.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  17. Citizen Kane

Look, the bottom line is I can't agree with you on team selection or the world will end.

Dier Hard likes this.
  18. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I bloody hope not! <laugh>
    Unfortunately not. We'd lend you another prospect, but we don't actually have a youth left-back, for some reason.
    We could buy Sessegnon from Fulham and send him your way, I guess. Anyone have Levy's number?

RTB likes this.
  19. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Nice one - get on that phone <cheers>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  20. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Any relation to Mrs Honeyman from Trumpton?

There's no truth in the rumour that David Moyes is attempting to sign Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb.

The Changing Man likes this.