1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Top ten significant historic events....

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Dec 16, 2016.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I cordially invite you to move to Leamington Spa Ubes, we are clearly caught in a bit of a time warp up here.

1. 90% of the time our post is delivered by 9.00 am, by the same bloke most days. And I know his name.
    (2. Garbage? Have you gone all American on us? We still have rubbish up here)
    4. Regularly see a milk float on its rounds. We recently signed up to deliveries again after a very effective doorstep pitch from a local farm. Don't think these blokes have an electric float, but the milk is delivered by 5 am twice a week.
    7. We have two proper old style sweet shops. As I don't personally patronise them I cannot claim they sell anything for a penny.
    9. Again, regular sightings of rag and bone men (probably more scrap metal collectors now). They have a van rather than a horse and cart, but retain a (prerecorded) incomprehensible 'rag and bone' call complete with weird trumpet noise.

Of course we also have child chimney sweeps, rampant polio and pea Souper Smogs.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  2. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

The top three for me are ( in date order):-

1) US Civil Rights campaign & Martin Luther King.
    2) Russian (Warsaw Pact) invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968. The day many realised that Communism wouldn't work & left a big hole to fill our asperations.
    3) Nelson Mandella & the dismantling of apartheid.

The three heroes of my lifetime being reflected by the above:-

Martin Luther King
    Alexander Dubcek
    Nelson Mandella

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Stroller likes this.
  3. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

it is interesting read other peoples' opinions and to be honest the majority make me think, oh yes. remember as a lad in Scotland we had a coal bunker and the coalman came, arrived in Brisbane when I was 12 and wow, no fires needed here :). keep them coming, great to see and read them

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  4. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

In my lifetime - note I am of the Nines / SB vintage

1 . Blair / Bush(1) & (2 ) and the eternal fallout from their pathetic sham crusades
    2. Thatcher(ism), controversially, but it had a galvanising (positive) effect on me. See Tebbit's bike
    3. AIDS
    4. Seeing the Human League and the Smiths on TOTP's - truly shocking at the time
    5. Mobile technology - good thing / not a good thing
    6. The Internet - the destruction of learning and the debasement of free thought
    7. The internal combustion engine - granted before my time but an unavoidable fact of life
    8. Oil / War / Religion - wide ranging yes but these evil corrosives are always with us
    9. Capitalism v Communism - no one can ever admit defeat
    10. Rangers finishing as London 's top team - never again in my lifetime
    Bonus
    11. My first pint