1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Gym, train station, best pitch in country....

2. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Plus only time we have gone through a season undefeated at home( 1932-33).

originalminority likes this.
  3. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Most goals scored in a season with that team coming 1st. Least goals conceded in a season plus best winning start to a season with 9 in a row with that team coming first. Could go on......

BP had an attendance in the OP of around 20,000 and 3 years later over 55,000. Hull had been hammered during bombing raids in the early 40's and the place was pretty down at heel. BP and the success of Hull City in that post war period gave a bit of joy to the place and provided real uplifting success.

I have heard the Roker Roar, the Wembley Roar etc but nothing has ever beaten the Boothferry Roar and we even had a song about it. For those that experienced that era it really was magic.

4. Yardley Tiger

Yardley Tiger Active Member

I still know all the words to the Boothferry Roar song.

5. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

I accept this and I'm glad you enjoyed those years. The half way point of our 56 years at BP was 1974, the year I first went, the year before Harold Needler died and Waggy retired, and I endured the last 28 seasons of BP. Yes I said endured! The last game against Darlington in the rain summed up our BP misery, a 1-0 defeat.

Dills double deckers likes this.
  6. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

That day though we could have had a hat full though.

7. Sikkedogsvendestykke

Sikkedogsvendestykke Active Member

Now you have me. My first match was 1959, and I stood on Bunkers Hill, which was the only open terrace at Boothferry Park. So in what sequence were the stands erected? When was the north stand clock installed? Oh, and by the way, some purists will insist it wasn't Bunkers Hill but Bunker Hill, but I couldn't care less, we lads called it Bunkers Hill because there used to be piles of coal there used as bunkers for steam engines.

My favourite memories of Boothferry Park are chatting with Maurice Swan (wearing his cap) while Chrises Simpkin and Chilton hammered away at the other end , and the A-Z hoardings round the pitch that I eventually discovered gave the half-time scores of the games listed in the programme I couldn't afford! Not to mention Billy Wilkinson knocked out at the north end and it taking many minutes to revive him. And Mike Williams proving he was a lousy goalkeeper. And it taking time to walk back to Hessle where for my sins my unknown family had placed me as a child in board and lodgings (the time outside and looking forward to next Saturday was the good bit).

Dills double deckers likes this.
  8. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Started to decline around 1982 when the N stand was demolished, and the dinky supermarket built in its place. Once that happened and young Mr Needler stopped putting the money in, the rot set in progressively. In 1985, Kempton came under scrutiny and was found wanting safety-wise and it continued after Bradford, Brussels and Hillsborough.
    It's shame the last memories are of a knackered old ground which it was for the last 10 years - and that anyone under 35 never knew it in its magnificent pomp.

9. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

How did you manage to miss out and not get a ticket for the Man u cup game .

10. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

He was sat by his stored program computer, using mercury delay line memory, called an EDSAC (electronic delay storage automatic calculator) waiting to purchase tickets online without realising the internet had not yet been invented & tickets could only be purchased at the ticket office.

Ahead of his time was BMB, he knew then there was no need for a ticket office it just took the club 66 years to catch up & do away with the ticket office altogether.

11. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

Now that's what I thought too.

Fez likes this.
  12. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Have recounted this sad day on the History thread a couple of times. Post No 822 on there is a more concise version.

13. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

When we finally meet up again after parting from high school 60 years ago we will make a video of us singing it and post it on here. Will be a feature event on the Friday music night!

Have a good trip back to the USA next Tuesday.

14. Yardley Tiger

Yardley Tiger Active Member

That's a deal!
    By the way I consider that the pitch at BP should be remembered on this anniversary as it was one of the best if not the best playing surface in all the leagues at the time.

15. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

It's great reading the memories of travellers. Many of us have been lucky enough to experience life beyond Hull, but suffered being denied following our teams - Hull City AFC and Hull FC for me!

FC have just turned a significant corner in their growth, winning the Challenge Cup; City have grown to the top league, made an FA Cup Final, so, perhaps, now is the time for some silver to cap it all off.

What I do know is that all of us, whose memories go back 40 - 60 years, don't underestimate the huge success we are currently enjoying. UTT.

(Predictive text blooper: UTT changed to UTTLEY; knowing TOM's passion and efforts for City and how he fits into this scenario, I think that is totally apt. <ok> )

16. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

My first game was in 1964 (or maybe 1963) - first game of the season and a 0-0 against Peterborough. The game wasn't up to much but I was just amazed by the sight of the beautiful pitch under floodlights. Next match was also 0-0 (Colchester) and I had to wait until my third game to see a goal which was scored by Chris Chilton, a belter in a 2-2 draw with Barnsley.
    The pitch went downhill a bit in the early 1980s but I was lucky enough to play on it a few times in the 1990s when it was back to its brilliant best - like a billiard table with every blade of grass seeming to be a regulation 1.5 cms in length.

17. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

I did see the best of BP without doubt. The last City home match I saw before I left England in 1966 was a promotion celebration as league champions. The last home match I saw on returning for a holiday in early 1985 was against Bradford City-a pretty eventful match!

As mentioned earlier I would have loved to have been at the last game against Darlington as would my wife.

18. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

Well I certainly miss going to watch both teams. Same for me Fez Hull FC & Hull City AFC. I have never begrudged spending one penny on supporting my teams. Yes I even shed a tear when they lifted the trophy at Wembley. Silly old bugger but that's what it means to some. Raw passion nerves shot and heart thumping. Suffering every emotion within 90 minutes of football or 80 minutes of Rugby.

I only got into FC because I used to go see Hull Vikings in the early days and loved the atmosphere at the Boulevard it hooked me so I went to watch a game and never looked back since. Hope I aint bored anyone lol .

19. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Aye, did Vikings as well ; Thursday nights, I think ...

Satdee was a little emotional, did many Cup weekends and missed the BIG one - nowt plastic a about me! <laugh>

Keep well.

20. Tigerite

Tigerite Well-Known Member

I actually helped to fork the pitch after matches at BP in the 93-94 season, got free entry for my troubles so I played a hand in the award winning pitch (even beat Arsenal's!)