1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thursday friday saturday sunday monday tuesday...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Bitter sweet for me, pleasing win but great result for MM, amazing what happens when Douglas ain't involved

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly Spanish. It feels a bit like my Mother In Law driving off a Cliff in my brand new Mercedes!!

Spanish likes this.
  3. Spanish

<laugh><laugh>

4. johnnywarksmoustache

And the Budgies lost again so all is good this weekend. <cheers>

San Diego likes this.
  5. johnnywarksmoustache

Now to put my effigy of Mick onto my bonfire!

whitestallionblue73 and Spanish like this.
  6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Good result,from BBC Suffolk commentary sounds like we tried to play football for a change rather than just bore the opposition into submission.So well done Mick for listening,please sir can we have some more?

whitestallionblue73 likes this.
  8. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Get the f*** in there! My last match in the UK for quite some time and a great win. I'll expand on game thoughts tomorrow or Monday, COYBx

9. Spanish

Glad to see your still alive, hope you've not been dumped!

10. whitestallionblue73

whitestallionblue73 Active Member

Great goal from Laurence and a good result and the budgies getting nicked in the last few minutes makes it a great weekend..

San Diego likes this.

11. Westlake33

Nope not dumped the Mrs has come down to Bristol for one last hoorah before we move to Aus a week Sat. Exciting times!

As for the game, that's the kinda side everyone wants us to line up like. Perhaps Emmanuel in, but a decent back 4, Skuse holding, Bish in the middle 2 wide boys and 2 forwards.

Thoughts -

- Bart. Not a lot to do. Very good save but could do little about the tap in.
    - Chambers/ Knudsen - for once NOT pulled all over the place. Wendy wingers very poor dealt with matters very well. Both tried to pass the ball out of defence ( more on that later )
    - Webster - Another unreal run where he should have played Dids in. Rolls Royce of a CB very very lucky to have him superb with the ball reads the game well an absolute joy.
    - Berra - Composed, very good display.
    - Skuse - Very decent. Read the game well, simple passes to more able players. Left wanting defensively by others around him and at times we looked vulnerable defensively due to a lot more bodies pressing forwards.
    - Bishop - Pleasing to have him lining up, but the one weak spot Sat. Didn't offer an awful lot going forwards, certainly not great from a defensive standpoint but good to have minutes under the belt. Will improve and key to us having a good season.
    - Lawrence. Superb goal and a good performance. Needs to be braver at times and go at the backline, he had 2 or 3 opportunities to run 15 / 25 yards further up and cause mayhem however didn't. Improving all the time.
    - Ward. Not his best display but tried to make things happen. A little more movement needed. Blazed over from 25 yards late when others better placed. Used the pitch well and good defensively though.
    - McGoldrick. Boy have we missed David Mc. Great movement, strength, touch. Looked knackered last 20 but pulled the Wendy backline, midfield all over and created space at will. Such a good player that we've been badly missing. Not his greatest display by all means, but he's absolutely key.
    - Sears. Back uptop in a 4-4-2 but not back with a bang. Poor movement, decisions and didn't offer a goalthreat at all. If we're going to continue 4-4-2 Best and McGoldrick may get their dream....

As for Jonny Williams, god have we missed him. Absolutely changed the game, VERY brave of Mick to play him with Skuse in a 4-4-2 at 1-1 away from home and paid off. He drove, created space, quick feet and will be an absolute asset providing he can only stay fit. To see him and Dids play together was a delight.

It was a lot better in summary. Around 3/4 needless hoofs all game, not 25 - 40. Berra had to AV IT at one stage as we were in trouble, but we really tried to play footy all afternoon at a very difficult place to go. Providing we carry on trying with this, the fans WILL come back and results SHOULD improve if we can keep everyone fit.

Of course, we've NOT tried to play footy for a long time so the tempo was slow with the ball. Very poor off the ball movement, but that will come PROVIDING we continue doing what we did Saturday.

Two wins vs Forest + QPR and we could do things. If we're going to, need to take the game to the opposition more however I was very pleased with what I saw Saturday. COYB. Five points off, are we done? Are we f... :)

Scowey and Nuggets like this.
  12. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Enjoy Australia Westy!

Scowey likes this.
  13. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Westy, thanks for encouraging summary, which was exactly how I nervously predicted this game, and scoreline!

Seems like a change in our fortunes. I for one embrace this. Yes, we can go on a run, with fit players.......staying fit!

Have a great year down Under, question is, will you be back? We will miss you so keep posting!

14. Westlake33

Oh I'll keep posting alright chaps, fear not. When living in Thailand I ended up watching every game via Bet 365 and when in Aus before I saw our game with Watford via that channel so bizarrely may not be a disaster. I'll miss going live, was an absolute buzz live when Chambers goal went in. Nothing beats winning a game live late away from home, cracking.

We can certainly have a good season based on the following factors -

* Key players staying fit ( obvious ) however McGoldrick / Williams + Bishop made of glass. Should these three stay fit.... we'll be top 10 somewhere absolutely no worries.
    * If we build on Wendy, continue trying to try with this game plan of passing OR go direct. We CANNOT have the back 4 hoofing it and certain players wanting to play. It's either one or the other! I can actually cope with head tennis, bad footy IF all players ala 14/15 do the same.
    * Mick HAS to be brave ala Williams for Bish at Wendy.

15. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Good luck in Oz Dorothy ......I mean Westy.....

I think the worry is that after a few wins with a more attacking outlook Mick will revert to type at the first sign of something going against us........but we can only hope.

On a side note I see Cresswell has been called up for England.....will a cap see Marcus 'tightwad' Evans get a few more notes in his wallet?

16. Westlake33

I thought a cap might but it appears it might not. Annoying.

Perhaps so however in his defence he hasn't had a fully fit side until Saturday just gone. He now has, so if he reverts back to type and doesn't get results he deserves everything he gets.

It's so damn bunched at the minute and won't be for much longer. We need a 4/6, preferably 6/6 from the next two home games to get this season looking very interesting mwuhahaha