1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thoughts on Sheridan

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by WestCountrylalala, Oct 13, 2013.

1. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

OK I'm not calling for his scalp - far too early for that. However there is growing unrest elsewhere from the fans, the most commonly used gripe is that Sheridan is still living elsewhere and only returns Thursdays for training and putting a team out for Saturdays. I wonder a, if this is true and b, what your thoughts are on this?

The latest rumour I have heard is that Warnock will soon be taking over???

Beau is fine Plym...just incase you ask ;)

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Who did you say you were again???? Hello Mrs lalala, nice to hear from you again.

There are those who will always be calling for a manager's head but we all know in reality at Argyle it aint going to happen anytime soon don't we. Brent will not be paying off another manager and especially one on a 3 year contract. There are all kinds of rumour from dressing room fall outs to the usual not interested or is drunk most of the time or something similar. There does seem to be something not quite right but what it is I'm damned if I know along with everyone else. I do not believe he only turns up for half a week for one thing. I think he doesn't give the press boys much and certainly not Sparksie who seems to have a niggle at him when he can. I think it's because he doesn't give interviews he doesn't have to like others before him have done that whispers are put out there. Given the match on Saturday I have to say there didn't seem to be a rift anywhere or signs that players won't play for him. Same applied to the JPT versus Swindon match.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It is a truth universally acknowledged that it was a decent game on Saturday with a good first half performance from Argyle, although having two full-backs acting as wing-backs may give the team control in midfield but it certainly didn't do much for our crossing did it?

All this unrest about the manager and his interviews or absence thereof, whether he has his hands in his pockets on the touchline or not is pointless: we don't have a right to be communicated with and the only thing that matters is results. On that basis, the jury is out but should take longer to decide.

Those fans griping about him living away are presumably largely the same ones calling for his scalp. You might think that they'd realise that if managers are potentially going to get the sack 9 months after appointment, there aren't going to be many committing to the cost and family disruption of moving home.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If......."the only thing that matters is results"......that leaves us with a slight problem......P11...W3...D2...L6.......relegation form last year I think.

Too many people...including the management.....are saying that how we are playing is encouraging.......poppycock.....unable to keep a clean sheet very often....scoring only 8 goals....and giving away 14 goals is nothing to be even slightly encouraged about.

We could sleep walk our way into the Conference with that approach.

5. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

But the plain fact is that Sheridan isn't going to get the bullet anytime soon no matter what the results are so the whole debate is pointless. We can debate if we think he should get the push knowing he won't and it is just opinion. I'm not decided fully yet although I think the taxi is on standby.

7. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

From high a top the Mountain it's nearly time to move down to the valley and let the Bears have their sleep.

Reading your opinions on Mr Sheridan i imagine it will be Xmas before anything is done..
    Did you not read that Argyle have improved somewhat but just can't score..
    Hang in there Chaps we are only 11 games in..
    Hartlepool next who just beat Exeter 3-0..
    Mmmm maybe i will stay up here..

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Over the moon to know that Beau is in fine feathered health Mrs LaLa.

We have seen in the time that James Brent has owned PAFC that he does not splash out money on a whim or to plug holes that we think need filling.

That is obvious at present regarding Lee Cox.....Swindon want us to pay more of his wages than we want to pay to have him back on loan....okay he has only just started playing again since his shoulder injury of last season when last here, so a question mark against his fitness and his he fragile and easily injured ?

What is also obvious is that Sheridan has a three year contract......which Brent would have to pay-off if he wanted to replace him.......that as sensible has already said will not happen....so we just have to continue sucking it and see.

I do feel that Sheridan at present is not getting the best out of this group of players.......they should be good enough to be in the top ten in this motley league.

9. devonsurfer

devonsurfer Member

There is nothing unusual about a manager only turning up for certain parts of the week. Neil Warnock used to commute from Cornwall to Leeds recently and was often 'down here' at home when you would have expected him to be head down in admin at Leeds. The same could well be true of Sheridan? He is clearly not sold on the south west lifestyle and appears northern through and through so I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he was 'oop north' more than he was down here.

On a different note, a post has appeared on PASOTI asking the question why don't we copy Swansea? Their philisophy of footballing excellence and mixing home grown talent bolstered with cheap but highly skilled flair players from the continent has payed dividends and they have played teams off the park all the way from league 2 to the top half of the Prem in the same time as Argyle have descended to the bottom of the basement. I've been saying the same for years! Hallelujah! The old way of buying endless bog-standard, blood n' snotters, Wotton-esque, English cart-horses is clearly not working and has not worked for over 100 years!

10. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

This year we signed a higher class of player rather than the non-league, out of contracts we have been since going into admin. From that I would guess we are operating on a bigger budget than the last few seasons. Unfortunately these players are not performing and are taking up resources that could be better invested. I really do not think that the budget is the main issue this year but the way it has been spent. From a footballing sense would I like Brent to push the boat out and bring in a couple more yes..do I think that we would spend that money well and improve the squad, on current form probably not. As much as the results and current form frustrate me Brents current financial stance is correct and what we need. There is potential in the youngsters we have and it annoys me that some are not getting more playing time considering the performances put in by the new signings to date.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There are loads of managers that commute to work along with loads of other workers who do it so I don't see any need to read anything into where his family live.

The problem I have with Sheridan is that this is HIS squad. He put it together, he trains iit, he tells it how he wants it to play etc etc. There can be none of the usual he has inherited thing you get in these arguments on whether managers should go or stay. Given what he has brought in and the results so far this season then you would have to say he is not doing very well. It's result driven and only result driven so there is nothing else to consider. It may be a work in progress. The team may get better and the results pick up. Trouble is I've been waiting for the last 5 seasons for it to happen and don't want to have to wait another one. I've had enough of bum squeaking ends to seasons to last me the rest of my life now. I'm not expecting promotion or even a play off place. I'd like it but would settle for a trouble free season just for once where I'm not panicking for most of it. I'd settle for a couple of seasons like that before wanting the club to kick on and go for it again. That's down to Sheridan to deliver and it isn't me asking for the moon despite all of the money I've thrown at the club.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Blinking heck sensible......is it a take over...take over...take over...take over ????

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No it was something playing up last night and I don't know how to delete. Bleddy machines.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

You keep repeating your self sensible ... try some more RUm .. Hope your well..

15. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Press the button marked Delete <ok>

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No it might delete the whole internet or something.........

I'm fine joe thanks.

17. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Holloway anybody? <whistle>

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not in a million years milton.

19. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Sorry mate....couldn't resist it!

Half thought about going last night but glad I didn't, it sounded dismal!

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There are people who still actually harp on about Holloway as if he was going to reappear one day. There isn't a chance in hell of that happening so why they persist I don't know. The one thing Holloway always wants is money to spend and he wouldn't get emough to keep his coffee boat afloat here for starters.

My advice on the attendance is don't put yourself through it if you don't have to Milton. I wouldn't wish attending Argyle on my worst enemy at the minute.