1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

This season . Where will we end up

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Number 1 Jasper, Jul 9, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Seems reasonable.

I like your thinking. :)

King Grimlock likes this.
  2. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Arrggghhhh!! What will Onionman junior say? <yikes><yikes>

fatletiss likes this.
  3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

We'll find out Saturday ... he's hoping to make the pub.

davecg69 likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Whiteley Saint likes this.
  6. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Based on the players brought in and those sold plus a new manager to the EPL; somewhere between 8-10th. Defensively we look solid, but the lack of an established and a consistent EPL goal scorer is, for me, an issue that has not yet been resolved. Jay is, it seems, still rehabilitating; Austin... not sure he quite fits with our fast paced, inter-passing style of attacking football and Long; had a good season particularly when allowed to play as a striker, but not sure his goals total at the seasons end will make up enough of the combined tally of Pelle and Mane from last season.

7. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I would say 10-12th personally. There are still a lot of teams in the PL who are a LOT worse than us, but I do worry about from where the goals are going to come. If we go 1-0 down in a fixture, it may be a stretch to get back. However, I hope to be proven wrong - last year I predicted 12th and look where we ended up!!

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Hi Romsey, I do understand people's concerns about goals as we've lost 26 combined, however...

1. Was Pelle the right fit for our fast paced, inter-passing style? He wasn't mobile, so if we feel he was good for us, why can't we believe that Charlie could also be? I myself have said that I wonder how we'll fit him, so I am not digging you here, just asking. I didn't think Pelle was right for our fast paced style, so it can be worked as he was a success. Charlie may well surprise a few people.

2. You ask for an EPL scorer. We have one. Charlie Austin. Let's not forget he scored 18 goals in a **** QPR team. That's more than any Saints player in the seasons we've been back.

Down to the manager and coaches to get those goals out of him. He hasn't suddenly stopped being a goal scorer.

As said above, I have my questions on how he'll fit, but hey that's why I work in plastics and not an EPL coach. The tool
    We need is a goal scorer. Les has said, "There's the tool, make it work"

Osvaldorama likes this.
  9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

The question regarding Charlie -- and some of our other personnel, for that matter -- is whether we're going to set the team up to adjust to their strengths, or expect them to adjust to the team setup. For the moment, it appears to be the latter; judging by the preseason, Austin looks likely to be consigned to the bench. If we're looking at strikers, Les will need to be mindful to find one that fits this setup, or the same thing is likely to happen...a Pelle, as an example, wouldn't see the pitch because he isn't mobile enough to do the pressing expected of our pseudo-strikers.

10. Romsey_Saint

HI FLT,

Always good to chat with you.

We looked better with Long up front than with Pelle towards the end of the season - Long and Mane posed so many threats between them. My comment was "established and consistent" EPL goal scorer. Austin has done nothing in the EPL last season and has had the one good season only. Long could do a good job for us - but do not see him being able to carry the whole burden. Neither has Austin looked like the player he was with QPR - appreciate he has had injuries etc., but has not looked sharp even when he was supposedly back to full fitness. Hence my prediction of 8-10th. If we lose Long for some period, then maybe as low as 12th as suggested by davecg69.

Obviously I will be very happy to be proven wrong!

fatletiss likes this.

11. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I think that's a pretty harsh assessment of Austin to be honest. He has scored consistently over many seasons. He IS a proven goal scorer.
    I really wanted us to play to his strengths, but it seems we've gone the complete opposite way, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I read the QPR forums when we signed him, a lot of their fans mentioned how good he is in the air, and his 'target man' play was under-rated. Unfortunately it seems like we may not get to see this side of him under Puel.

fatletiss likes this.
  12. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I don't think he's good enough to change our system for, if that makes sense? (A la MLT). I do think he's good enough to be the fabled Plan B though.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  13. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Alternatively: is the diamond an important enough wrinkle to merit changing the club from the bottom up to fit?

14. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

That's an interesting one...watching the team Sunday and I think our midfield personnel are better suited to the diamond midfield.

Agree the attack don't look anywhere near as comfortable so far and it's difficult to see how Austins game is going to suit it.

We shall see if Puel sticks to this formation no matter what or he keeps/adds 4-2-3-1 as the first alternative

15. Romsey_Saint

Hi Os,

Print can sometimes seem harsh - I am not dismissing Austin, I think he will make a contribution but do not think our style of play suits him, his one season in the EPL before a series of injuries leaves a question mark on his ability to bounce back; which, to date, looks questionable. On the subject of the midfield formation; I concur with saintlyhero - the diamond formation is looking very effective and seems to play to our strengths.

16. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Starting today and looking at our squad currently, I am going for 11th but things may change...

17. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The Times predicts 11th in todays copy.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Sticking with 9th-12th <ok>

Be interesting if someone could bump last years thread to see how many predicted 6th. I know TSS did but unsure of anyone else did as well?

19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The search function is broken on the new software, so the only way to find a thread is to physically go back and look for it.

Over to you...!

20. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Assuming we get at least one more good attacker, I'll go with ninth.