1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The week that was - Cheltenham

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by NassauBoard, Mar 18, 2017.

1. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

morning all,

Very fortunate that I've been able to go to all four days of the festival and here is my review of the weeks racing.

Firstly the crowds were amazing, people state that Cheltenham is bad for NH racing and the season is unbalanced but I think the crowds show why everything heads towards the crescendo that is the festival. It is the place to be.

So Tuesday came with many of the NH stars of the past either retired or injured, and it was this theme of past heroes that started the festival. We got to see past festival winners in the parade ring, with Denman, Big Bucks and the playing up Long Run; they all looked well and showed the crowds fondness for the sports past stars.

Rather than reviewing the races, here are a few of my personal highlights and some ponderings.

Betting highlight - Flying Tiger @33s

I had a good festival despite changing my mind on a few races which turned out rather bad!! However it was the Fred Winter that gave the bank a massive boost. Flying Tiger travelled well and Richard Johnston delivered him through the field to pick up the favourite and win nicely. Nick Williams is a really classy trainer and this horse has a nice future over fences in time. The yards other horse was given a horrid ride by Lizzie Kelly and is one for Aintree.

Betting Low - Might Bite/final yard of Champion Chase

I'd put accumulators on and on Wednesday it was the shortest of distances that stopped me going home with a sackful, had Whisper stayed ahead and/or Top Gamble garnered a place. Fine margins!!!

Top moment - Might Bite

That race was what NH racing is all about, front running and good jumping meets a horse who has quirks and needed a loose horse and an unresolute opponent to produce a barnstormer of a finish. I'm still not sure how Davy got Whisper so close, and I'm not sure how Might Bite got back up to beat him either. Top sporting drama. Horrid silks though.

Future star - Neon Wolf

He has the Denman about him, and will make an awesome chaser. Plenty of scope and plenty of development left in him. If he doesn't run in a Gold Cup in the future then I will be disappointed, he stood out a mile at the festival for me.

Overall view

Not a vintage festival and I think racing has a few issues but it was a great four days, with some potential stars being formed in the novice ranks and hopefully the Douvan & Altior show will hit the roads next year. I hope we get to see a improvement in British racing and we need some horses to come from Nicholls et al. Fortunately I think he has some big guns who he saved for next year and we might see some competition for JP, Gigginstown and the Mullins hoardes.

A great week, get yourselves to the festival 2018!! I know I will!!!

2. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Naas, I'm glad you had a great festival. I on the other hand attended my last, after 25 years I'm hanging up my Barbour. I feel the punters are being tucked up, who by you might ask? The jockey club, the owners and the bookies. Like I said I've been going to Cheltenham for years and I still love going but not to the festival, no more the main reason I feel uneasy with the owner, jockey, trainer, bookie association. You would not get away with it in any other business. The douvan business stinks to me and the media let the punters down by not asking the questions.it was glossed over, the show goes on and the sycophants in the media are just as guilty.
    The highlight for me was the J T McNamara tribute that was observed by the crowd impeccably .
    One last thing, chuckles you were right about the festival, I owe you an apology .

SwanHills, Ron and Chaninbar like this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Glad you liked Neon Wolf Nass. I've been raving about this horse since I saw him at Haydock. As you say, plenty of scope. I was disappointed he didn't go for the 2 miler and I think he would have done had the ground not dried up. Ran a good race over the extra distance and a little unfortunate not to win. I hope you are right about the Gold Cup. Will be great to see him over fences. Lovely pedigree

4. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Whilst I do agree that Neon Wolf has potential with a capital ‘P’ I must say that I was somewhat disappointed that he couldn’t win what appeared to be a very moderate renewal of the ‘Neptune’. Don’t get me wrong he put up very good performance but I was expecting better.

Over fences next term you would suspect he would go off at very short prices prior to Cheltenham and, in terms of the market, Neon Wolf could even turn into the next Douvan or Altior (both yet to start at odds-against over the big’uns). In the short term because of his ‘rep’ and then, his form, if this ‘rep’ becomes a reality.

The eye-catching thing for one re Cheltenham was how many stellar named trainers came away with no winners. I’m sure there was a lot of soul searching occurring in more than one barn on Saturday morn.

5. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Just getting a chance to watch some of the races back from Cheltenham. I can't help but think Altior would be better up in trip. they seemed to go a really strong gallop yet he made hard work of getting to Charbel. He didnt pull that far away from Cloudy Dream yet didn't seem to be overly tired at the line. I would worry about him on a flatter track against the best horses in open company.

6. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Well the handicapper wasn't impressed by Altior's 6 length romp and dropped him 2lb. However he was impressed by Charbel's fall at the 2nd last and raised him 7lb.

SaveTheHumans and Bustino74 like this.
  7. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

<laugh>

SaveTheHumans likes this.