1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The run in.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Just realised, we've got 4 games in the next 13 days. Tough and interesting ones as well.

First Bury in the cup. Pressure will be on Vaughan against his old club. Really needs his first goal, depends on where his head's at, this game could set the lad's early season form. Get a goal and he could be flying, don't and it could be a worry. The team as a whole could do with the win. I think it's a really important game to try and bring some momentum into the championship games.

Then we've Norwich away, Shef Wed away then Leeds at home. All really tough tasty games.

They're coming thick and fast but facing many of the teams who'll be aiming for at least a the play off place means the pressure is on to show some real character to dig out some points. I was reasonably happy with Friday's result. Hope we build on it as to be fair to us, we're right in a transitional period so this will be a big test.

They're coming thick and fast. Stark contrast compared to the prem where less games and international breaks starve us of domestic footy.

How do think we'll get on? 4 points and a cup win be satisfactory from the next 4 and buzzing with 6?

smithy in nl likes this.
  2. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

4 points & more importantly 2 extra players = a decent start for me :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I'd settle for three draws and a cup win, get our forwards on the score sheet as you say Bri especially Vaughan and a little unbeaten run could be a season settler.

4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I'd like to see us get a win under our belts. 1 win 1 draw and 1 loss wouldn't be too bad. Think that would also bring a bit more confidence than drawing them all. Although I'm never really sure with SAFC!!

5. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

3 wins would be nice, but draws will deprive 3 presumably decent teams of 3pts.

6. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I think Norwich is the toughest game out of that lot. They seem to have gone under the radar but bringing in the Dortmund reserve coach could prove to be a shrewd bit of business. We need to win one of the league games and I'll be happy, this no winning at the start of seasons needs to be put to bed.

Vaughan looks like an incredibly hard worker but as a forward that will only take you so far, he really needs to start finding the net.

After the first weekend and assessing the squads properly, my money is now going on Fulham to win the league. What a team they've put together. Sessegnon and Fredericks as their full backs will absolutely rip teams apart. They are both easily top half premier league standard full backs. Aluko has that bit of extra quality in this league and will win games on his own at times. Tom Cairney is an outstanding midfielder who makes them tick. They'll batter a few teams this season.

7. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I would like O Shea, and Asora starting if fit, but abut 6 changes from last Friday. Vaughn needs to play and score. Rest Grabban though without a doubt, we should still be too strong for Bury. Then the mags at home in the 2rd round eh?

I am a right berk rrnt I !

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. Big Bad Wesley Brown

Big Bad Wesley Brown Well-Known Member

Not sure if you watched the highlights mate but Norwich absolutely battered Fulham at the weekend, the scoreline didn't reflect the game at all. That said, they do have a lot of pace, and keeping their manager was massive for them.

I've seen a lot of people saying Villa and Boro will walk it but things very go the way you'd expect in this league. Every year there's a team with a smaller budget that manage to shock the bigger spenders, Huddersfield last year, Bournemouth a few years ago. Hopefully that can be us this time...

Nacho and smithy in nl like this.
  9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Could be, if Grayson can do what he aims to and make us a side of grafters with an emphasis on attack then there aren't going to be many better supported sides in the Championship and that can make a big difference.

Big Bad Wesley Brown likes this.
  10. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I didn't mate, but reading this report it might not have been a true showing. Regardless, I wouldn't take the first game of the season as any kind of marker for who will be the better team.

Screenshot_2017-08-08-00-11-25.png

Fulham done well to keep the manager, but signing Cairney and Sessegnon to new contracts was better for them, imo.

Yeah, I'm hoping we'll be about the playoffs. To do it on a 2m spend would be incredible.

Big Bad Wesley Brown likes this.

11. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Unbeaten run and cup progress plus quality extra players in and LK out out out .... :emoticon-0148-yes: