1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Wandering Yid, Feb 9, 2016.

1. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I am no expert on Putin or Syria. My opinions are

I don't like any form of government that isn't elected. I don't like them theoretically because they deny people their right to self-representation. I don't like them practically not because they aren't effective in the short term, but because they all go south sooner or later. While elected governments enable peaceful and orderly change when they lose the plot, dictatorships not only do not, they tend to make some sort of violent and/or disorderly change of regimes necessary.

I'm against armed intervention in the Middle East not because we're backing the wrong side, but because, as in Vietnam, we are the wrong side. What we're doing is recruiting, arming and training people hostile to our interests. I was against the US wars in Afghanistan as well as Iraq before either one started and I've seen no reason to change my mind about either one.

I would suggest that the west is slipping by dribs and drabs into a war with 2 billion Muslims, and we'd better start trying to help people, support democracy (even when it opposes us) and provide what few friends we have with some reason to like us, if we don't want to destroy the world. So far our enemies have made us their puppets with the basic tactic of firing from a crowd. Looked at another way, there's a de facto alliance (no, I don't think it's a conspiracy) between Muslim militants and the US military industrial complex to build the conflict for profit.

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

In an interview with LBC, waffling gargoyle Nigel Farage has said that if the Britait he campaigned for his entire political life is a failure, he'll leave the country.

Looking forward to the Daily Mail branding him a "traitor" and "enemy of the people" as he plunges head-long into the irony of campaigning on an anti-immigration platform before being an immigrant in another country because he's that much of a coward he can't face the mess he's left the entire country in.

3. humanbeingincroydon

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6. humanbeingincroydon

please log in to view this image

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  7. Looks like Dumpf may have bitten off more than he can chew (again)

From the BBC website.....
    In a joint statement, Governors Jerry Brown of California and Andrew Cuomo of New York, both Democrats, said: "With or without Washington, we will work with our partners throughout the world to aggressively fight climate change and protect our future."
    The two states have set even stricter targets on reducing greenhouse gas emissions than required by Mr Obama's rules and have far-reaching plans for converting to renewable energy sources for producing electricity.
    Governor Brown said: "Erasing climate change may take place in Donald Trump's mind, but nowhere else."
    A host of legal issues could be in the pipeline.
    California has a special waiver allowing it to enforce tougher measures on vehicle emissions. Mr Trump could rescind that - but this would lead to a fierce challenge.

8. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

His message was not necessarily to New York or California though. More aimed at places where they used to have a large mining industry.

9. True enough - but even that was raising expectations that will not be met. What this means though is that his entire policy will likely be undermined.

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Don't look at Trump's actions in isolation, but as part of a group.
    He wants to remove any and all regulation and get rid of all public agencies.

11. humanbeingincroydon

Surely not the same one as this Governor Jerry Brown?

littleDinosaurLuke likes this.
  12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

13. humanbeingincroydon

14. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...d-democrats-—-and-trump/ar-BBz1Mut?li=BBnb7Kz

The Lord of the Lies and his pals try to avert a Republican shutdown of the US government due to Republicans being unwilling to abide by the debt limitation Republicans passed.

"“Everything to do with a shutdown carries some risk, but we should take the risk because Trump has a mandate to build the wall,” Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said."

Well, you can't argue with logic like that, when Trump had an overwhelming mandate of negative 3,000,000 votes over his opponent.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

16. humanbeingincroydon

Wait...the New York Post, a Murdoch rag by the way, is accusing other papers of dishonesty? I guess I'd better leave this here...

please log in to view this image

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

And Trump's using it to suggest that he should change the law on libel. Seems harmless.

19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

20. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

As SOTM says, it's pretty obvious Putin was responsible for disseminating negative info about Clinton.

It's also pretty obvious that Putin has some hold over Trump.