1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Bring on an election
    We do live in a weird World at the moment. UKIP/Brexit/Trump/Le Pen/Far right Austria/North Korea/Syria/Iraq/Iran
    I'm sure it used to be simple.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  2. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Oh no Boris mentioned the War when talking about Europe. <doh> You don't know whether to laugh or cry when he mentions war films escaping from Europe.

3. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

He says he's in favour of limiting abortion to the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.

Isn't 3 months (absent any special circumstances) long enough for a woman to decide whether or not to terminate a pregnancy?

The fact that at present after 6 months, a foetus is taken out with forceps in a perfectly formed state and sometimes breathing, doesn't sit well with me.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  4. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

What you say is factually true. It's not answering my question, though, old chap, but I'm getting used to that now from lots of people. I was wondering what sort of laws we might make once we've left, not our ability to make them. I was asking Brexiteers to say what sort of laws they'd like to see now the EU isn't going to stop them.

Brexiteers, when you voted "Leave", what new laws were you hoping for and why do you think it will make a difference?

I think we can leave "control of our own borders" out of this - we all understand that one. What else? And I'm not being funny. I genuinely want to know so I can see (in a few years) if any of you got what you wanted when you cast your vote.

5. GoldhawkRoad

I see what you're saying, and it's a good question. It isn't so much ECJ decisions to date (that may change if they decide to rule on Brexit).It's the multitude of irritating regulations that we don't need from Brussels - the stuff that prevents us having powerful vacuum cleaners and hair dryers, giving up traditional light bulbs etc Quite a few are hidden. I was talking to a gardener who had a really good and safe hedge trimmer. He said the second hand price had gone up after the EU banned the current type used in the UK. It's just an unnecessary frustration. People laugh, but the EU really did ban rogue bananas. It undermined confidence.

Then there's the European Court of Human Rights - which goes hand in hand with the EU - and its more extreme decisions. The classic is obviously Abu Hamza, whose extradition were were banned from effecting for years. If we stayed in the EU, none of this would get better.

rangercol likes this.
  6. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

ECHR has nothing to do with the EU, its the Council of Europe. May suggested withdrawing from that as well early last year. Not sure if she still plans too.

7. GoldhawkRoad

Yes, that's why I said hand in hand, because while they are legally distinct, there's strong cooperation between the two, they share the same flag and anthem and all EU members have first become members of the Council of Europe. The ECJ treats the Convention as part of the domestic law of all EU member states. The EU itself is obliged to join the Convention as a member pursuant to the Treaty of Lisbon. In short, it would be hard for us to come out while still being in the EU.

8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

See Goldhawks answer to this.
    He's spot on.
    I voted to rid this country of EU meddling/legislation and to be truly independent.
    I think I will get what I voted for.

sheffordqpr likes this.
  9. TheBigDipper

Ta. What specific things are you hoping that will bring the UK? What do you want the government to use that independence for? It would be daft if they just copied the EU afterwards, so what laws are you hoping will be changed?

10. rangercol

I feel you're missing the point.
    I want us to make our own laws etc.
    Some will be good and the odd one not so good. That's how it's always been.
    But at least now the legislation will be OURS.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.

11. TheBigDipper

No, I get it. I just wondered if there was anything specific about EU laws that you didn't like and would change. After all, we're going to start off by assuming all EU laws into our own and then start changing things.

Thanks.

12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

do you like all eu laws dipper

rangercol likes this.
  13. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I don't like it that the EU has an EU law that makes it a UK law that the UK has to make an EU law a UK law. :)

rangercol likes this.
  14. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

Did May cover anything about specific industries and sectors in the form of recovery plans etc or is that for later? I haven't seen the speech (and don't really have the time to either).

I suppose the one most affected is farming with the loss of subsidies and the other high profile one is the NHS which is at crisis point apparently and was promised varying amounts of the membership fees we pay to the EU.

If the farmers aren't getting resubsidised then that leaves near the gross amount of 350million per week floating around. It would be nice to know whether this is being reinvested in the above, going on tax breaks to keep companies here (although that sounds like its a non-issue) or being put towards national debt and being absorbed by austerity.

I accept what will happen in terms of leaving but want the best chance of being able to keep working and for the cost of living not to financially cripple me. The idealist in me would like to see self-invested (ie from within the UK) re-emergence of some level of industry or a boom in something other than the Finance sector (possibly science and technology where we've fallen behind a bit in the last couple of decades).

15. TheBigDipper

Hell, no. But I don't dislike a good law just because it came from Brussels, either. The EU is flawed and needs reform. Maybe us leaving is the shock it needs to change.

I'm curious what (if anything) Brexiteers who wanted complete sovereignty actually wanted to change when we're out. I'm not much wiser about that than I was before, TBH. It seems more about the principle for them. The plan that Mrs May is proposing involves incorporating all existing EU legislation (which covers aspects of our laws today) into UK law from day one. In effect, no change and continuity. Then, changes will take place as and when.

16. rangercol

To be honest I'm finding you a tad condescending.

Thanks.

sheffordqpr likes this.
  17. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

which ones don't you like

18. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I thought it was a fair question.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  19. rangercol

20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Come on guys as we all know that we don't know what is going to happen exactly and it is all guess work at the moment. Why ask what specific laws someone wants? That is just a condescending question. Get over it and move forward.

sheffordqpr and rangercol like this.