1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread The PL Season 16/17 All Star Thread

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Skylarker, Aug 13, 2016.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They may have pressed a little higher than Burnley or Bournemouth, but they still allowed you tons of possession.
    They were happy to risk giving the ball away by attempting quick, risky breaks, which is also reflected in their pass completion.
    You were allowed to piss about with it until the final third or so, then they pressed aggressively and moved it forward quickly.

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

In the first half they gave us nothing in the middle of the park though, perhaps I'm not remembering it correctly but all I saw was Drinkwater and Ndidi robbing our midfield, we couldn't get near their 18 yard.

3. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

N'didi made the 2nd most tackles in a game this season with 11, IIRC. Kante made the most. Against Liverpool! <laugh>

I think Vardy's early tackle on Mane put him on the backfoot, so you offered little width and kept coming through the middle.
    They were set up to deal with that and it allowed their central midfielders to pick the ball off loads of times.

Milner at left-back makes you very narrow.
    Moreno at wing-back might be a better option, though he's **** at defending.
    Lucas can't play that high a line against pace and physicality, either. Is Klavan that bad?

4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Nothing in that assessment is wrong but quite simply it could all be put right with the players going out there with the right attitude and fighting for every ball. Some want to complicate last night but it was simply down to Leicester wanting it more imo.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I disagree. Leicester raised their game drastically from what it's been recently, but your manager got it all wrong.
    You set up in a way that suited them perfectly and it allowed them to impose themselves on the game.
    Consistently starting with about seven midfielders suggests balance issues, too.

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Again I disagree I don't think Leicester were that good I think it was that we were that bad, yes they raised their game but we made it too easy. They imposed themselves too easily and that was down to our players not winning tackles and getting robbed constantly by players who wanted the ball more. There were no balance issue when we were playing well with the same players. I don't see a problem playing high if you're winning the ball and controlling the game.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

There's no problem playing a high line if the other side doesn't base their entire game on breaking quickly in behind with pace.
    Then it's basically suicide.

The weekend game against Arsenal is now massive for both sides. Wouldn't like to call it, either.

8. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

It seems we're turning into an arsenal, too technical with no substance.

Not quite sure what luvvy was watching but they just camped in their own half and used vardy as the only out ball. A tactic by the that will beat us every time, as Tobes so tactfully put it!!

9. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

...very much like your anti-Leicester then? ...fair play :)

PINKIE likes this.
  10. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't normally grass mate, but he was calling you a **** earlier, mentioned something about yer Ma as well.

@Skylarker

SpursDisciple, Treble, PINKIE and 3 others like this.

11. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

...I suspect it's because he is having to come terms with living in our shadow ...and that 'Pools last trophy has now universally been agreed to have been the most flukey silverware ever won by a British team ...some are even starting to call it the Istanbullshit penalty shootout cup ...I wouldn't... :)

12. Stan

Stan Stalker

I'll post this again when the Liverpool board is in meltdown over our next penalty.

--

Manchester United may have a reputation for being awarded penalties, but their run without one is currently the longest in the Premier League.

It was against Southampton on Aug. 19 when United last attempted a penalty -- a span of 23 league games.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored in the 52nd minute of that 2-0 win at Old Trafford, putting the ball past Fraser Forster and into the bottom left corner.

That run is not only the longest in the Premier League but also the longest in England's top four divisions after Huddersfield Town and Wigan Athletic were awarded penalties on Tuesday, according to research by the Press Association.

13. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Who gives a ****?

14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

astro at a guess.

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Matt Le Tissier might be interested as well.

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Offsides are the new penalties, apparently.

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Fortunately for us, Liverpool look like they can always ship two or three goals each game.

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

You scored three against them in the reverse fixture and still lost, though! <laugh>

It's a dodgy one. If they press successful and have a fast start, then I can see you wilting.
    If you get in behind them and get ahead, then the same is true of them.
    It'll come down to team selection and tactics. Klopp Out or Wenger Out that evening?

19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

In fairness Les Gooners fielded a virtual reserve side for that fixture iirc

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Chambers and Holding at centre-half? Definitely weakened, yeah.