1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The New Stoke City Manager

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by Smithers, May 21, 2013.

1. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

I think if you re read what I wrote I said you will look back on it as a solid season.Cannot understand how your board came to sign Hughes there must have been dozens of better candidates out there.

2. Willa Pond

Willa Pond Active Member

Well, as the saying goes; 'Bullshit happens'. For most of the Stoke fans (big smirk towards Waddo) I really hope he exceeds your expectations, it feels like you're his last chance so hopefully he'll have learned a thing or two after he crashed and burned at QPR. It might actually work out better for him having a limited budget as he seemed bewildered what to do with the money he had at Man City and QPR.

3. Alberto Balsalm

Mark Hughes isn't a bad manager. The general misconception is that he is inept, which is untrue.

4. peadar1987

peadar1987 Member

I didn't want him at Stoke, but now he's here, he has my full support. He's the Stoke manager, so I clearly want him to do well. I'll give him a fair chance.

I didn't want Pulis either time he signed, and that worked out pretty well all things considered.

5. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Oh dear. I hope he does a better job for you than he did for us (he won't). THE worst manager we have ever had. Our relegation this season is a direct result of his buffoonery. Cannot believe he got a job above the Sunday league.

6. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this appointment shows a lot for how Stoke City felt about Pulis. Thy knew the bad blood that existed between the two of them, so to select Hughes over TP is a proper kick in the teeth.

7. Smithers

Forum Moderator

"I made mistakes which I have learned from. I had the task of keeping them up in the Premier League and I did that but 12 games later I lost my job.

"That was understandable and was a regret. If I had been given more time I think I would have turned it around. We tried to run before we could walk and I hold my hands up. But this is about the here and now and moving Stoke forward and getting the success we all want.

"I've had around 270 games managing at Premier League level and in recent months people have wanted to define my managerial career based on 12 games at the start of last season.

"I've kept my counsel for six months but now is not the time to speak about it. Maybe this gives me more motivation to prove people wrong. I've listened to what people have said about me and I can assure everybody I will use that as motivation to do well at Stoke."

8. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Sacking Pulis & then hiring Hughes, is like dumping your rather boring, ugly wife & running off with her even uglier sister.

9. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well you didn't like Pulis........6 months of Hughes and you will be begging for Pulis to come back.

10. Smithers

Forum Moderator

No chance mate, we will never beg for the return of TP.

11. Goodbyen0t606

Goodbyen0t606 Active Member

Very obvious that Hughes is getting criticized because of his personality. For QPR to still love Harry whose end to the season was terrible and solely blame Hughes seems ridiculous.

Hughes has a pretty solid record apart from the stint at QPR. He will do a decent job for you. Support the guy and see how it goes.

12. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

The figures don't back that up though.If 'arry had been there all season with the same points scoring rate as he had QPR might have just about scraped to safety.Hughes 4 points from 13 games was what did the damage.

13. Goodbyen0t606

Goodbyen0t606 Active Member

Lots of "mights"...Harry may have had a slow start...or Hughes would have found a winning formula. Reality is that Harry did not do very well with what was still a good squad on paper but Hughes gets 100% of the blame.

I am not saying Hughes is a great manager or anything, but he is not the devil as some make out. His personality is what rubs people up the wrong way more than his managerial ability.

I think he and Stoke may be a fit and will do okay.

14. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

not a ****ing chance pal

15. jowlermonkey

jowlermonkey Well-Known Member

Not even that much of a chance of wanting Pulis back!!!

16. Condolences lads <rose>

17. ricc full

you live in Mansfield and support Liverpool mr Plastico?

18. How original <applause>

19. Double post <ok>

20. ricc full

I thank you