1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Masters

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by hammersmith junior, Apr 4, 2017.

1. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

The greatest golf tournament in the world starts on Thursday,and for once I won't be there. There really isn't anywhere quite like Augusta,and I'm gutted I'm not going to be there this year. I will be glued to the tele watching it,and cheering on my picks. I will provide regular updates when I can,and hope you all enjoy it as much as I will. So,anyone who's interested,let's hear who you fancy to prevail or who you'd like to see win. Out of interest,i will put up who I'm backing. They are not my tips,just my personal fancies for the week. Obviously Dustin Johnson is playing some amazing stuff at the moment,but with his price of 6/1 and a previous best of 4th place,i'm passing him over. Rory could well storm it,with the weather meant to increase the length of the course,it could play straight into his hands. But I just can't see him stringing together 4 rounds of consistency,he's been too erratic in at least 1 round recently. Add to that his memories of throwing away the tournament in the past,and the fact I just don't like him,he's passed over too. Jason Day has been in personal turmoil lately,what with his mother being given a year to live after being diagnosed with lung cancer. He's a tremendous player with a good record here,but I can't back him at the moment with his head where it is. So onto my first pick, Jordan Spieth. One of my favourites,with a record here of 2nd,1st,2nd. It's fair to say he would've won back to back masters if it wasn't for a breakdown over a few holes in last years final round. But the lad loves it here,and at 8/1 I think he's gonna be right in the mix again. Rickie Fowler is next on my list,coming into form at the right time,it's surely only a matter of time before he wins a major. At 25/1 I'm willing to take a chance on him this week. Next is Henrik Stenson at 33/1. He hasn't really set this course alight in the past,but I'm hoping the Open champion can find his game and burn up the par 5's. Paul Casey is my 4th choice at 50/1,the Englishman has been in fine form over the last year or so, and his pure iron play could make him a danger this week. I'm also having a little bit on Thomas Pieters at 80/1, the long hitter is improving all the time,and he is fearless. I firmly believe he's a future major champion,i'm just hoping it's this week.Lastly I'm having an each way flutter on William McGirt at 300/1.This guy has been in the mix in a lot of tournaments over the last 12 months,and is an excellent putter. I think his price is ridiculous really,and I'm happy to have a little interest in him. So there you have it folks, whoever you back or whether you just enjoy the drama. I hope it's a fantastic tournament,and it makes for great viewing ! Enjoy.

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I heard Bob Bubka on Talksport tip Pieters too. Agree I can't go near DJ at that price despite the form. Will probably lay him and Rory for places.

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It's a shame they have ****ed up the course. I agree with Nicklaus and Woods, they should have kept the fairways wide making placement of the tee shot for the right angle to the green critical rather than simply keeping it on the fairway. If they are worried about low scores make the greens fast and pin placements horrible.

4. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I think the course may play long this week after a lot of rain recently, even the Azalea buds were killed by frost so they've been busy 'repairing' them. That will suit Johnson's big hitting and Rory is overdue a tilt a this one, however, they offer piss-poor value so I'm looking further down the field for good each way value.

I agree Pieters is great value at 80/1his form prior to and during the Ryder Cup shows he has what it takes. At 60/1 Louis Oosthuizen looks a good bet along with compatriot Charl Schwartzel at 80/1. One or other always seem to be in contention here. Sergio Garcia at 40/1 could go close and for an Englishman Tommy Fleetwood has been in great form and is a generous 100/1 on some lists.

Whatever the result it is usually a feast of great golfers tearing their hair out as the course makes even the best look silly somewhere on the way round...

5. loomo

loomo Active Member

Gone Matsuyama to win
    Two outsiders Adam Hadwin and Molinari

6. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

As a fellow golfing tragic, I envy all who have have had the pleasure of being there, live to watch.
    Certainly on the bucket list.
    I will however, watch with much enthusiasm, as much as l can throughout the tournament.
    Can't see much attack from the Aussies this year ............. Day seems to always have side issues that hamper him.
    It could be a Cinderella story, boy from nowhere!

Enjoy it all, golfing buddies!
    Green Jacket Aussie

hammersmith junior and sb_73 like this.
  7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Perhaps Day should caddy for the Dalai Lama, receive total enlightenment.

8. Bwood_Ranger

Just had small bets on Pieters, Kisner and McGirt all E/W. Will probably get involved on Sunday more.

hammersmith junior likes this.
  9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Jordan Spieth & Rory McIlroy To Both Have A Bogey Round In The Masters 100/1

10. Bwood_Ranger

Which bookie?

I guess the likely weather is quite favourable but that still seems fair.

11. Stroller

It's with Hills - had to have a fiver.

12. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

(Twitter/Fox 23 News)
    In the Southeast, residents were preparing for a long day of dangerous weather Wednesday. Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley declared a state of emergency ahead of the onslaught of severe weather, according to a release. Fifty National Guard soldiers will also be deployed in the state.

"Alabama is no stranger to the impact severe weather can have on communities and the devastation that can occur when the weather takes a turn for the worse," Bentley said in the release. "I have issued a State of Emergency as a precautionary measure to ensure state resources are on standby and are ready to assist impacted communities should the need arise. I also want to encourage individuals to stay weather aware and have a method to receive the latest weather alerts."

Multiple Alabama schools announced Wednesday closures, the Associated Press reported. In Augusta, Georgia, the first round of storms came through late Wednesday morning and forced officials to suspend a practice round for the PGA Tour's Masters tournament at Augusta National Golf Club.

13. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

I would love to see Westwood or Garcia finally win a major. Both have had brilliant careers and both deserve a major before they retire.

hammersmith junior and Devonhoop like this.
  14. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

You've all forgotten JON RAHM already? Big hitter, he's been right there with DJ the last few weeks.

And never count out Phil Mickelson. He's got this place sussed out, he's won here 3 times. Yeah he's getting older, but this place plays into his hands as he can shape the ball perfectly with his fade with the layout of the course.

My odd picks would be Berger, Fowler, Snedeker and Oosthuizen. Sneds because he practically grew up here and loves the place and would love to see him win one here.

15. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

Tyrell Hatton, Jordan Spieth, Sergio Garcia

16. Stroller

Yes, I like Hatton - he leads the PGA putting stats for strokes gained. Needs to stay calm though.

peter1954qpr likes this.
  17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

They'll all need to stay calm by the look of things, there has been a tornado warning and today's Par 3 contest has been abandoned for the first time in the event's history. Forecast for tomorrow is 40 mph winds so it could turn into a lottery...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/39508330

18. Stroller

Good, the wind will help this home..........

Jordan Spieth & Rory McIlroy To Both Have A Bogey Round In The Masters 100/1

TootingExcess likes this.
  19. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that the winning score will be a plus figure.
    No one to finish under par.

20. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

It doesn't look good for the world's no 1 Dustin Johnson. He's just suffered a serious fall downstairs at his rental home and has a back injury.