1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Lasses.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Charley Farley, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

Only a few years ago Sunderland Ladies had half the current England team playing for them. The likes of Jill Scott, Steph Houghton, Lucy Bronze, Jordan Nobbs plus others.
    After much hard work by the then Chairman, Maurice Alderson, the Lasses eventually got their premier league status by getting into the premier league two and being promoted. They had been refused by the powers that be of entry straight into the women's premier league even though they were consistently in the top few of the then women's football league 1.

Their first season in the women's premier league started by the powers that be at Sunderland replacing the hard working Alderson, who had taken the girls from relative obscurity to the top league.
    The glory hunters had taken over.
    After they had finished farting about with the squad, they now look to be favourites for relegation. They are falling apart and many are leaving Safcw.

Sunderland have all but discarded the lasses now. They could have gone on to big things but will likely go down.

It's a lot like the men's squad.
    Piss poor management at all levels.
    There was an opportunity to secure huge improvements under Reidy but wasn't taken.
    When Sam left, the side was looking quite reasonable but decisions like the M'Vila one were typical of a management team struggling, out of their depth compared to 'proper' premier league clubs management teams.

This season, as things currently appear, both the lads and lasses look to be going down.
    We have been let down over the years.
    Maybe the couple of new managers brought in will turn things around but this is all too familiar, each season getting pounded by all teams and then somehow saving our skins by some good results, maybe against teams where their season is effectively over and they are safe, who knows.

Have a nice day.

2. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

3. Charley Farley

Sorry Tel, I don't understand that.

Is it because I am a miserable, moaning old bastard?
    That I CAN understand.

If you mean am I the relic, we'll, no I'm not.

4. Tel (they/them)

Nope, neither mate, I was just bringing the subject to the attention of The Relic, if he's still breathing/rattling around the forum. He was always very passionate about the Belles doing well.

I don't think you're miserable either, far from it. <ok>

5. Charley Farley

Right, I understand now.

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Ultimately it's an expense the club can't afford. If it was making money there's no way we'd have dropped back to semi pro. We're in debt, we're cost cutting. It's the sensible option, we as fans have had more then enough time to support the lasses and help make it profitable. They've got no maga tv deal, putting bums on seats would have saved them. Just not enough interest.

7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of the OP apart from the bit about Reid who was given money bit squandered it.

8. Charley Farley

I'm thinking of the couple of times we finished 7th and at the Christmas when we could have went top.
    At the end, when we got Flo, I agree that was a waste and it was also a bit too late.

Regarding the bums on seats Brian.
    It's true the girls are not getting big crowds. I think the girls game will be getting bigger but it's too early to tell how it will go.
    I also don't know what costs are involved.
    The thing is, we have, or at least had, a very good product with the earlier girls team and good management would have improved it.
    The rest of the teams in the women's premier league seem to be getting it right though.

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie, not a single cell of my last dump cares about the senoritas.

It's nowt to do with SAFC for me. Good luck to them like but there's more interest in the Asos spring sale.

salad fingers likes this.
  10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

They should get their growlers out.

Flapping tits and hairy growlers running around may drum up more interest. As at the moment i couldnt care less.

11. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

I suspect that most of the detractors of The Womans Game haven't actually taken the trouble to watch.

If they did they would see a game where there is a fair degree of skill and effort but devoid, oddly, of what we call 'Prima Donna's' in the men's game.
    Ref's decisions are accepted without petty tantrums and their decision is final.
    When tackled there is no rolling around in the way that so many of the 'men' feel' it necessary to do.

As for SAFC's decision I agree about cost cutting but it is a great pity that the ONLY part of SAFC that can be said to have been a Footballing success is being dismantled.
    Considering the millions paid in wages to underperforming injury prone players who are rarely able to play I wonder if the baby is being thrown out with the bath water.

We can at least HOPE that the training of the youngsters continues. While this may do little good for SAFC, the results have been spectacular to date and talented kids deserve a chance.

Charley Farley likes this.
  12. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Yeah yeah yeah

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

They can have all the skill in the world it will still be pipe.

14. polyphemus

This thread got me thinking about the way male Fans, in general, react to Ladies Sport.

In my favourite Summer Sport, Athletics, there's never been a problem.
    I'm not a great fan of Tennis but there seems little to choose there as well.
    It seems to be the same with most 'individual' sports where, in general the women are accepted.

Team Games though just don't seem to get to the majority.

15. Tel (they/them)

I read somewhere recently that the Aussie women's football team got bounced 7-0 by a bunch of 15 year old boys, from a local club.

No doubt the drippy knickered feminists will be piping up before long about equality pay scales for male and female footballers.

16. polyphemus

I'd vote for that.
    However I can't see the Rooney's of the football world agreeing to dropping from about £200k a week to £50k a year.

17. Tel (they/them)

And why should he?

18. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Woman's football is guff.

The wages thing is a completely different discussion altogether.

I've seen more quality on the local pitch on a Monday night playing 6 a side.

19. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Aye maybe mate but would you rather get in the bath with Messi or Sunderland lasses at the end of a match I would pay the buggers triple what they get now.

Charley Farley likes this.