1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Keano year 06/07..

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by J๏E.., May 25, 2017.

1. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Probably one of my favourite seasons as a season ticket holder and witness to the great rise from 3rd bottom after 8 or so games to Champions in May..

Took no prisoners this man, like a chip off the old block, could see bullshit and flummery a mile off, got rid (literally) of our **** overnight and saw the weakness at Christmas that led to the brilliant Carlos Edwards joining, went for striker support and got Stern John..

Loved that season, the Burnley game but more so the 2-1 at Southampton with Edwards and Leadbitter netting corkers..

Would love to see the ****er back like, imo what we need and the lift we want. Forget about the Premier stuff but he did have us safe with 4 games to go..

Keano Keano, one of my favourite seasons..<ok>

2. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Agreed. You just knew going into the run in we were going to go up as champions.

Can't remember who we played but we were only second in the league and a couple points behind (Reading possibly) yet we'd won that particular game and the whole stadium in unison singing "we're going to win the league" was absolutely brilliant - we just knew.

And THAT Carlos Edwards goal against Burnley "from the banks of the River Wear!!!!". Amazing.

Sunderlad and LAMackem like this.
  3. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

I was at the Southampton game. I took my Father in law and if I recall, we went one nil down. He was amazed by the Sunderland fans and the noise we all made and still mentions it to this day. I'm sure both Gareth Bale and Kenwyn Jones were playing for Soton (I could be wrong) and Bale was utter gash. Great day, great game and fantastic season.

J๏E.. likes this.
  4. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Was Derby at home mate..

The thing was, he had them playing 90 mins and the rest..

Had Connelley playing beautiful football, after the 15 pointer the season before, this man just raised the roof..

Paperback Ruiter and Jack TheLad like this.
  5. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Yes they were, Edwards equalised with a corker and Leadbitter bettered it with one of the best strikes ever...Happy days..

Keano keano..loved it

farnboromackem likes this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a great season, one of the best. I always thought it went wrong for him when he tried to treat the fancy expensive players the same way as the grunts and they couldn't take it. You could always tell how well or badly things were going by how long his facial hair was.

I wouldn't mind having him back as long as he's learned from the past and might occasionally consider the carrot instead of the stick.

J๏E.. likes this.
  7. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

For me it all ended when Ellis came onboard..

I'd love him back and better still with Giggs as a no2 or very involved..

We need our identity back, this man did it before and loved it, like we loved every moment of it..

8. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Remember the Keano Keano give us a wave chant from the SWC?

Used to put his hand up candidly and get the whole works off the fans..

like I said, great days..

9. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Should read his second autobiography if you haven't already.

There's a chapter on his time with us and he loved it here.

Nads likes this.
  10. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Yeah, read it, would love him back like..

Just what we need I think, imo..<ok>

11. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

Even in a fantasy world where I could poach any manager I'd still take Keane because of the way he raised us up fans and players alike. For a few seasons I was truly proud of my club again he was pretty much solely responsible.

I was a programme seller that season the buzz around was amazing and I was lucky enough to be right behind the goal for Liam Millers winner against Derby.

For me the 'team' and I mean everyone involved with Reid era is what made them special. The Roy Keane era was down to the man himself.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  12. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

The momentum's gone from his career as a manager and I don't think he'd be able to get the same reaction from the players.

He had a right aura to him for a while there. Did a great job for a while before he seemed to lose the stomach for it.

gardencitymack likes this.
  13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

He'd be perfect for us now IMO - THAT Roy Keane! Wouldn;t suffer any bulshit or anything and seemed really clued up on what was needed. Short ****ed it up by sticking his nose in iirc!

14. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Loved that period too, but it also went haywire, he cast aside key players like De Lap, Kavannah and Connelly, and it seemed from the outside that he put personal issues above the interests of the team, he could learn a lot from Conti at Chelsea on the art of man management imo, that is if he could be bothered, and I doubt he ever would be. Still, just like Riedy he gave us a great time while it lasted, thanks to both, but we move on, hopefully in the right direction. <cheers>

15. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

He didn't like the fact that there were about 10 senior players out on loan and Keane didn't like being questioned so threw him toys out of the pram. I don't like Short but that's possibly the one time during his tenure that he's shown any business acumen whatsoever.

Nostalgic and gardencitymack like this.
  16. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Won't take training, won't move to the area, unpredictable and often unfair persona, tactically questionable and burns through players at a staggering pace. Failed elsewhere on a budget. Massive no's on all levels for me.

17. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Tend to agree with Bri, but he took a **** team and made them champions. I remember losing to (I think) Bury in the League Cup and worrying that we'd be in a relegation scrap at the bottom of the Championship, but he turned everything round in short order, all right. Went on to that first home win for ages over the mags anarl. Good times. But turning his car about on the motorway because Ellis had the temerity to phone him up when we was driving to training was pathetic. If you won't move to the area, fine, but at least get a flat up here. You can certainly afford one on the money he was being paid. He was more high maintenance than Djibril Cisse and that is saying something...

clockstander and Brian Storm like this.
  18. Brian Storm

Forgot about that. <laugh>

19. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

I totally agree mate..<ok><laugh>

The thread was about the great season it was after the **** of the previous 3, nothing more than that..

20. Brian Storm

Ah, fair dos. Yeah it was a cracking season mate. <ok><laugh>