1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 'Drive like a crazy' Chinese grand prix awards

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by El_Bando, Apr 17, 2016.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver:
    Worst Driver:
    Best Rookie:
    Best Team:
    Worst Team:
    Best Overtake:

Most Surprising Result:
    Least Surprising Result:
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention:
    Best post from the race thread:
    Race Rating: ?/10

2. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Rosberg (couldn't ask for more)
    Worst Driver: Hamilton or Vettel, considering Hamiltons poor recovery in the race and Vettels start.
    Best Rookie: -
    Best Team: RBR
    Worst Team: Sauber or Renault. Both trash. Moving roadblocks.
    Best Overtake: Raikkonen on Lewis. And Lewis on somebody round the outside.

Most Surprising Result: RBR performance.
    Least Surprising Result: Rosbergs win, Kimis bad luck.
    Funniest moment: Post-race clash.
    Excuse of the week: -

Special Mention: Raikkonen. Rosberg for stepping up his game.
    Best post from the race thread: AG and his quotes after qualifying.
    Race Rating: 7.5/10

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Ricciardo - overperformed in qualifying, and despite the puncture got a very good result.
    Worst Driver: Palmer? Did I miss something or did both Manor's finish above him without a good excuse?
    Best Rookie: Wehrlein.
    Best Team: Red Bull, no faults really compared to those around them.
    Worst Team: Renault
    Best Overtake: All I can remember is one around the outside of turn 6 which I thought was impressive.

Most Surprising Result: I don't think anyone would have called a Kvyat podium before this weekend.
    Least Surprising Result: Rosberg win. If I was a journalist I'd have written the article last night.
    Funniest moment: "Crofty" mishearing Kvyat as Kimi and getting irate at Vettel. Or maybe that's just a sad indictment of his commentary skills.
    Excuse of the week: "I had nowhere to go!"

Special Mention: Raikkonen did well, and I think Ferrari made him run the more dubious side of their split strategy again.
    Best post from the race thread: -
    Race Rating: 8.5/10

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Best Driver: Ricciardo, beat Rosberg off the line and was doing great until the puncture, but still mananged to get 4th
    Worst Driver: Palmer, I don't remember anything happening to him
    Best Rookie: Wehrlein, when they were in 4th I wondered if they could get a point
    Best Team: RBR, only let down by Pirelli, Compare the TAG to the works Renault, after the abuse they got last year for bad-mouthing renault I'm gonna say christian Horner is wearing smug factor ten.

Worst Team: the works team (Renault)
    Best Overtake: there were quite a few good moves, I'm going to say Button on Hamilton for no other reason than Honda overtakin ga Merc.
    Most Surprising Result: I suppose the Merc dying in quali was the biggest shock, maybe Kvyatt, but only because the RBR was fast
    Least Surprising Result: Mercedes win
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention: Kvyatt, Rosberg and Manor, they didn't come last and were only lapped once.
    Race Rating: 9/10 ignore Rosberg and it was a fantastic race with incidents, a plethora of different strategies and a lot of overtaking that had nothing to do with DRS.

I'd like to suggest another category, the 'Incident report' your views on incidents and who is to blame, if anyone.

so, my incident report of turn 1. A racing incident caused by Kimi locking up into turn 1, and the 2 drivers behind going for gaps that were definitely there. 3 around that bend rarely goes (as anyone who has raced online knows :D). but I don't think any of them did anything wrong as neither Kimi or Kvyatt could see each other and Vettel was sandwiched with nowhere to go

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    DHCanary and allsaintchris. like this.
  5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Ricciardo & Kimi for their recovery drives
    Worst Driver: Palmer
    Best Rookie: Wehrlein
    Best Team: RBR, the TAG doesn't look that bad?

Worst Team: the works team (Renault)
    Best Overtake: Button on Hamilton and Hamilton on Bottas
    Most Surprising Result:
    Least Surprising Result: McLaren thinking they were better than they are.
    Funniest moment: Croft is soooooooo bad
    Excuse of the week: Croft

Special Mention: Rosberg
    Race Rating: 7/10

6. fevriul

fevriul Well-Known Member

How exactly does being hit through no fault of his own, having to make 5 pitstops, after starting from the back, to finish 7 with a car still having damage from the start make him one of the worse drivers? I mean Christ I know you don't like the man, but that is just plain ****ing retarded!

7. moreinjuredthanowen

I'd like to nominate Williams as worst team.

They have got worse since last year and car looks a dog with a good engine.

Best Driver: Riccardo. dunno what punctured tyre but he did well before and after it. Vettel was second best imo. passed so many.
    Worst Driver: meh... nasr was ****.
    Best Rookie: Wehrlein not many rookies about after all
    Best Team: Ferrari did ok. Red bull did well. Mercedes did well by rosberg :bandit:

Worst Team: williams. their car looks a complete dogs dinner.
    Best Overtake: there were lots. some real good uns round outside.
    Most Surprising Result: ferrari start was not as good as red bull.
    Least Surprising Result: rosberg winning
    Funniest moment: vettel overtake in pit lane entry.
    Excuse of the week: vettel on radio

Special Mention: Rosberg
    Race Rating: 8/10

8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think they said pre-season that they had aimed to correct the weaknesses in their car (ie high speed corners). Whilst I'm not sure if they're any better in that area, but in trying to be they've seemingly wiped out the advantage they had on the straights. They've gone from a car that would really perform in some places, to one that doesn't seem to do much anywhere.

9. Big Ern

don;t discount the improvement in the Renault and Ferrari, and lets not forget that mercedes have a lot of differences on their engines, which are designed for a fuel no one else can get, that's not helping Williams look good, they're the highest placed non works team.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

yes i agree. they look midfield at best now. really poor with a superior power plant.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

except for red bull or are we talking old school non engine building teams.

(and no tag IMO doesn't count)

12. Big Ern

they were 6th and 10th, hardly a terrible result for a customer team, in Bahrain both were damaged by other people and Bottas was unfairly given a drive through, yet both still scored points, in fact they've scored points at each race so far and are 4th. Have some perspective and ignore the fact that 2 years ago the Mercedes engine was 2 seconds faster, it isn't any more, and they don't have the proprietory fuel Mercedes have designed the engine for, so theirs is down on power.

13. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Rosberg. The gap to 2nd has been overlooked. it was massive

Worst Driver: Button. Beaten by arookie last week and an injured out of practice driver this week. he is sadly over the hill now. Mclaren need young blood to improove

Best Rookie: Pascal. if there were a few retirement he would have looked better

Best Team: Red Bull. great result on a track that does not suit them. how do they still do that.

Worst Team: Renault. Its not Palmers fault he has a bad car

Best Overtake: Ricciardo on Hamilton

Most Surprising Result: Hamilton didnt get a podium
    Least Surprising Result: Rosberg walking away
    Funniest moment: the bluey in the green room
    Excuse of the week: Its your fault i crashed into my team mate while my boss is watching

Special Mention: Raikkonen, just as damaged as Hamilton but did a better job
    Best post from the race thread: 'The slow starter' <laugh>
    Race Rating: 8/10

14. Big Ern

yeah, Rosberg drove very well, but, once again he was a 'slow starter' and got beaten off the lights by Danny, who didn;t look too troubled by Rosberg, it could've been a different result if he hadn't had the puncture.

15. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

From where his car could have potentially been to where he actually finished he drove pretty ****. Even Kimi got ahead and finished above him. Above all who knows who was making the calls to pit over and over.

In terms of the accident. He wasn't making use of his eyes was he, unless he had something in them again.

16. moreinjuredthanowen

if riccardo has not punctured what would the result be for rosberg?

prob the same but....

well... there was constantly guys behind catching and passing others and losing time doing it so.... best drive? nah not for me.

he did his job in quali.

Smithers likes this.
  17. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Too true, Lewis's 'looking to see front wings flying through the air and Sauber's turning sharp into him when he was in acres of space' management skills were definitely left wanting there.

Should be banned for such reckless driving.

fevriul likes this.
  18. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

really? the 2 laps leading up to the pass before DRS was enabled Rosberg was ready to overtake. Everybody with any sense saw it coming on the back straight. danny was a sitting duck. the puncture was an inconvenience to him otherwise he would have been fighting for 2nd with vettel later on I think.

19. fevriul

fevriul Well-Known Member

You do of course realise that his car was damaged from the collision at the start of the race, of do you think that suddenly every other ****er in the race could match a Merc for speed and turning? As for the pitstop's that the team call on strategy, it not like he can work out where everyone is in the race with the restricted radio rules. . If you think that someone with a damaged car and 5 pits stops still coming 7th from last was the worst driver in the field, all that proves is you know **** all.

I'll leave you to your blind hatred because I seriously doubt nothing short of a meteorite strike is going to change your mind.

20. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Whoah! Overreact much! I don't think anyone said he was the worst driver, and the car was definitely not that damaged because it was handling very well straight after the SC and this was remarked on in commentary.

Not getting past Massa was pretty disappointing/surprising, but then it does seem he has spent large chunks of his career trying to make Massa look good.

El_Bando and EternalMSC like this.