1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

THE CLEAROUT HAS BEGUN !

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, May 2, 2017.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This pulls things into sharper focus <yikes>

2. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I wish I could be rubbish and earn that much!

K E M P and JM Fan like this.
  3. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

My main concern with this mass clearout happening now is what if there are decent bids for say, Pritchard once the window opens (which I firmly believe there will be). We may be obligated to let him go as the funds that would realise may be critical to rebuilding to replace all these outgoing players.
    The saving on wages will offset that to a large extent though. Interesting times ahead!

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I see where you're coming from Cromer and I guess we'd be reliant on Wes to fill in on quite a regular basis (gandy and others will be pleased :emoticon-0105-wink:) and I know he's said he'd like to stay, as having seen him play quite often (recently anyway!!!), he along with Howson, Oliveira, Pinto and Dijks/Klose (if they stay), should be the backbone of the team IMO. Dorrans has improved as well lately and can at least pass the ball forward.

5. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

<laugh> Like your thinking mate!

Just to be clear though, I've only really said Wes should be allowed to see out his contract. In the unlikely event we get promoted next term, I am fully aware he is unlikely to be asked to stay.

Pritchard and Maddison are the future, and I really hope they are both committed to the club. I've never been a Naismith fan, and whilst his last couple of perfomances have been ok (strangely, since Webber was appointed) I'd be glad to see the back of him and his inflated salary.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent post gandy and I have to agree with you, especially the bit I've highlighted.
    Just seen a poll on the EDP website on whether SN should be cleared out as well - potential savings on wage bill of around £2.5M per year, though I expect we'd have to pay him compensastion!! <doh>
    Article here - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...aries-look-to-slash-their-wage-bill-1-5000655 - cast your votes.
    So far out of 750 votes, it's 55% in favour of him staying!!! <yikes>

ncgandy likes this.
  7. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can't believe Webber would have let these players go if he didn't have a plan for how to rebuild the squad, or at least have the budget worked out to make it possible - and that probably requires player sales. As I stated in another thread in the past, my money is on Jacob to be the sacrifice and Klose sold too. I also don't think Webber would allow himself to be put in a negotiating position where he's desperately having to offload assets cheaply early on in order to fund essential business. He'll want to sell players on our own terms. If anything, I think that's just increased Pritchard's price.

Do any of these players critically need replacing? We still have 3 goalkeepers, 2 RB's, 4-5 senior CMs and striking options. 3 CBs is a big number to lose, but Webber would have been crucified anyway if any less than 2 CBs were signed this summer. And even if he doesn't, Godfrey or another youth prospect around the squad is going to go down an awful lot better than Turner!

To give my view on the players departing, I think this all makes a lot of sense. I was surprised to see Ruddy and Bennett leave, but realistically neither look like being solid championship players right now, nor do they look like they could step up to the Premier League in 12 or 24 months time. If they don't fulfil either of those criteria, why are we keeping them?

8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Excellent post, DH <applause> <ok>

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Seconded!!! <applause>

10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

11. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I don't disagree on keeping Wes here for another year to back up Maddison and Pritchard but that has to be the format. There is also the other issue which is that we would be letting another one of our assets leave on a free at the end of next season, rather than re-couping any value we can this year. Hoolahan is a different kettle of fish to the players released this year, he can provide some value to a team that lacks a creative influence and therefore can command a fee. I think we have to take a long term view, ignore sentiment, and really analyse whether we can afford to keep him in the short term with 2 such promising talents emerging, in my view sadly we can't.

carrowcanario likes this.
  12. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

13. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Lets get real. Wes is 35 in a fortnight and is on a contract here of about £30/40k per week. Who is going to pay a transfer fee and big wages for him at that age? He is also well settled in the area, already runs a property business and will shortly expand into a similar venture - why would he want to move?

ncgandy likes this.
  14. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

As we are the largest care home provider for washed up has beens he will be more than welcome south of the border! <ok> <laugh>

15. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

You'll be busy signing the players we just released Warky!!

oldcanariesfan likes this.
  16. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Yeah we are well used to taking other club's cast offs!

17. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Only one I feel sad about leaving is Ruddy, know he hasn't been at his best last couple of seasons but overall he's been great for us and loyal. Hope he gets a good send off on Sunday. I'm sure it won't be long until he finds a new club.

Walsh.i.am and carrowcanario like this.
  18. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

He's terrible now and got off lightly for his drunken assault a few years back.

19. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Terrible is a bit of an over reaction, but a move away will probably do him good.

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

He is awful .
    Last penalty save was I think Cardiff 2 or 3 seasons ago ? all the others sailed in and MOST games this season I have seen stats like shots 6 on target 2 goals conceded 2.
    He has let in way more shots than he has saved .
    In 2012 he was very good but since then he has been awful.