1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

One out of one....

The season has kicked off, and Leeds have 3 points in the bag.

I didn't want to tempt fate but the last time Leeds had won away on the opening game of the season was 1985/86.

Should Leeds have won the game easier; of course but 3 points is three points.

If truth be known (IMO) we should have won 3-1. That would have been a fair scoreline.

God only knows what shaughnessy was thinking pulling the Bolton lads shirt over his head; the ref had no option.

Hernandez almost scored a worldy just after Bolton has scored from the spot, so all in all I thought we deserved a two goal cushion, and for all of Bolton's huffing and puffing, they very very looked an actual goal threat.

Let's talk about Cooper. Was he responsible for the first goal?

Is he Captain material?

Can he marshall the defence in the same way Barley did?

Is he a first choice centre back in your opinion?

TC said after the game that he was looking at more cover at centre back!

This is likely to be the young manchester united player Cameron Borthwick Jackson (who I thought had already signed tbh)

Was anyone impressed with Felix yesterday.

Did he fulfil anyone with confidence?

Bridcutt was cut from the 18 for tactical reasons. TC says he still has a part to play!

Pennington's ankle and Berardi's shoulder will be assessed today!

Dallas travelled but was not in the 18. If there was a game that you'd think he would play, you would think Bolton away, surely???

Viera was rested by TC. The lad probably needs to find that bit of form.

Kalvin Phillips......

please log in to view this image

First team regular or squad player?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Great start with some great footy, very slick and pacey, Until we had our back line broken by injuries they only looked a threat from set pieces. The score without those injuries would have been 5 or 6 nil. However it highlighted some problems we do have at the back without Pontus as Bolton have a load of big units who muscled us around, so we could have been breached a few times because of it.

Pontus is back at the weekend, CBJ signs this week so slips straight into LB, Anita was great too so we have cover, just but we do need another CB.

Not sure Cooper will play every game, but to be fair to him he was good yesterday and has been through pre season.

My issue yesterday was O'Kane & Phillips who were both brilliant in the first half, had less good second halves as both went missing for long periods. Klich will fill one of their positions and we also have Viera to come in too.

Saiz will also be match fit too so will see a lot of action

Felix did plenty to show why he is our No1, much goes unnoticed but positionally great and distribution brilliant. Can seem suspect coming for high balls?

Feeling confident this season especially after watching how a new team & new manager get off to a flyer

davy, FORZA LEEDS, Whitejock and 8 others like this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Agree with docs analysis. One further point for me was the performance of our coach. Seems to know his stuff and certainly doesn’t look like a hockaday appointment like many feared

4. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

"opening game of the season was 1986/86". That was a short season?

But

Reasons to be cheerful

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  5. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning all. A good tart, & a good performance by Cooper. He will certainly push Jansson & Pennington for a starting spot. But I think those two will be our starting CB pairing when Jansson ha served his suspension.

Phillips had a good game. But like Viera, he'll need careful managing to ensure he isn't all washed out inside a season or two. Squad taking shape, but I fully expect there to be plenty of changes for Wednesday to ensure the whole squad gets game time in a match we should win at a canter

Whitejock and Farsleyexile like this.
  6. Eric Le Merde

Hey mate everybody enjoys a good tart, jam or lemon curd ??

Wednesday will be a good time for Klich and Saiz and even, if we get him, the new LB.

7. Eric Le Merde

Dear oh dear I'm getting all :police: this evening don't take it personally

Farsleyexile likes this.
  8. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0136-gigglYep gotta agree with boggers as we all like a good tart & a good performance.:emoticon-0140-rofl:

Farsleyexile likes this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that we will not be one dimensional as we were last season. I think we will see a team & tactics set for each opponent & that means that if Bridcutt s still here he may play in games where we need to stop a particular break. We may see 4-4-2 and 3-4-3 etc, we will have flying players like Alioski, Roofe, Sacko & CBJ bombing down the flanks.

We dont seem short of players with different styles who can play different ways but will complement each other. We have cover all through the squad, especially if we get another CB. Pennington reminded me of Woodgate so no wonder Rio had bigged him up

Farsleyexile likes this.
  10. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

As Doc said:

"Bolton have a load of big units who muscled us around, so we could have been breached a few times because of it."

A weakness we need to sort out, need to toughen up quickly.

Brendan Sheerin likes this.

11. Brendan Sheerin

Brendan Sheerin Well-Known Member

Im sure Vinnie Jones would be happy to take that class

Farsleyexile likes this.
  12. Eric Le Merde

I agree Pennigton is similar to Woodgate - calm and able to do the right thing when he takes possession. Lets hope he isn't as injury prone and we have a sale or return option.

13. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Philips scored two goals, a deflection and a bit of a scuff but he was there to score them so fair play. Didn't see much in the rest of his game to be honest. I'd like to see klich for Phillips and see how we look.

O'Kane was great I thought, actually thought he ran the show for large chunks of the second half, very tidy, working triangles with Hernandez and the wide guys, keeping possession and ironing for openings. Prob my MOM.

Coops I always feel has a mistake in him, but was excellent so fair play.

Ayling was good too, roofe decent, wood was wood.

New boys:
    Anita was excellent when he came on

Pennington looked assured, apart from one suicide pass and missed header for their goal, real shame about the injury

Alioski was quiet but worked hard, good header and positioning for woods goal.

Wiedwald... well we know why TC likes him... he's a modern continental goalkeeper who likes to play libero, making it easier to pass around and build from the back. He suits the game TC wants to play. I'm happy with that but he got himself in no mans land for the goal and was flappy at other crosses/corners. His thrown distribution was good and quick, his long kicked clearances less impressive. Very early days, but I'd rather trade greens traditional goalkeeping skills, and the confidence that gives a defence, for wiedwald's 5-aside ability.

Whitejock and Jammy 07 like this.
  14. Eireleeds1

The sale or return won’t matter as we only have him on loan for the season. If he gets a serious injury I’d imagine Everton would want him back anyway to treat him themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Part three:grin:

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Pennington having a scan this morning, CBJ was in the directors box with Radz & Co yesterday, so expect him signing today. Berardi probably went weight lifting last night even with a sling, so expect him back wearing a shoulder brace soon

davy and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

CBJ now a Leeds Utd player on a season long loan, think we will enjoy watching this kid

Brendan Sheerin likes this.
  18. Eireleeds1

Who knows, when we’re promoted this season and scum are relegated, we could sign him on a knock down price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Think this is a quality signing and will be interesting to see if he can get into the team ahead of Anita initially and Beradi when he's fit again.

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Fair play to him as he turned down Ajax to come to Leeds Utd, which suggests he may be better than Aidy White